Will you miss the "Fangirls" who are going to stop watching?

KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,275
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Due to perceiving Capaldi as being too "Old" and "Ugly" to play The Doctor. My goodness I would have loved to see their reaction to The First Doctor, as well as various other Doctors. They seem to forget that The Doctor, at last count, is well over 1000 years old and can look like anything, he doesn't have to look "hot and young".

Will you miss the fangirls who are having an exodus? 211 votes

Yes
10%
[Deleted User]KIIS102MixstarLightningIguanaHello.Shazla09[Deleted User]Mr_MoogleOnly_You[Deleted User]scumcatLorelei LaFleur[Deleted User]hypergreenfrogjoe_000rogernz[Deleted User]Calpowell[Deleted User][Deleted User] 22 votes
Hell No
89%
IanPAdam LawTodBonzoTWStevenRplateletwelwynroseAndrew1968[Deleted User]SHAFT[Deleted User]jcafcwVerencetiger2000Muttley76Kenny MacleanjohnblahblahDarrin2101f_196Rooks 189 votes

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell No
    You mean there won't be a We Want Peter Capaldi's Babies Club? :(
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    Due to perceiving Capaldi as being too "Old" and "Ugly" to play The Doctor. My goodness I would have loved to see their reaction to The First Doctor, as well as various other Doctors. They seem to forget that The Doctor, at last count, is well over 1000 years old and can look like anything, he doesn't have to look "hot and young".

Just seems to demonstrate how shallow some fans are.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean there won't be a We Want Peter Capaldi's Babies Club? :(

Hell yes there will be, and I will be his founding member:cool::D.

I'm closer in age to Matt and David than I'm to Peter, but I know who I find incredibly sexy.:o.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member

But it helps. :p (coming from an 18 year old fan girl)

Seriously, though, the only problem I have is his significant role in Torchwood and his eyebrows. And I mean that with the greatest respect, but the photo they released of him only annoys me due to the look he's giving - more villain than good guy.

I know he's a brilliant actor, award winning, really nice guy and big fan of the show so if he plays a dark Doctor right, I may like him. I'm keeping a open mind.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen more people complaining about fangirls than I have fangirls complaining.

But it's clearly ridiculous anyway. (Capaldi is hot as hell :D)
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Will I miss them? You should be asking will the ratings miss them.
  • BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Will they really leave or will they be replaced by new 'fangirls' who really fancy Peter Capaldi?

I tend to find that women can find all sorts of men (un)attractive for all manner of reasons. Benedict Cumberbatch has his admirers, but he's not the first man that springs to mind when I think sex symbol. My friend's sister adores William Petersen (Grissom from CSI) for his "cuddliness".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    You can't blame them. The guys will always have the companions, but the ladies have no eye candy. Plus, we've gotten used to having doctors like Tennant and Smith. These "fangirls" will continue to watch the show, and I wish people would just treat them like regular fans with their own opinion.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    I won't miss anyone who stops watching for such shallow reason, but I honestly don't see there being an "exodus" at all. As always, some will go with the current Doctor, but others will tune in because the new guy appeals to them.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I've seen more people complaining about fangirls than I have fangirls complaining.

:D)

There'll be hordes of posters along in a minute to tell you how very wrong and misguided this perception is.;)
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    While I find the legions of gushing strumpets who just squee over how "hot" The Doctor is rather than liking the show itself annoying as hell, I can't really begrudge people too much for boosting the ratings.

It's potentially a moot point, anyway, as I'd imagine that there'll be a new dishy young male companion for S8 to join Twelve and Clara on their adventures. Traditionally, older Doctors have tended to have a younger male companion to do the action/physical stuff (if you count the UNIT team then it's a role that has been around until Harry left thirteen years in) - I'm sure that we'll still have an handsome guy to give the shallow female audience some eyecandy and provide a love interest for Clara.

It just won't be The Doctor himself any more. Which I'm quite glad about, really.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    You can't blame them. The guys will always have the companions, but the ladies have no eye candy. Plus, we've gotten used to having doctors like Tennant and Smith. These "fangirls" will continue to watch the show, and I wish people would just treat them like regular fans with their own opinion.

The Doctor shouldn't be eye candy, he's the Doctor for crying out loud, that's not his role.

If the ladies want eye candy, the show's producers should do what was done with a few Doctors during Classic Who, and give the current Doctor both male and female companions. Patrick Troughton's era was the supreme example of this. Polly, Victoria and Zoe were eye candy for male viewers and Ben and Jamie were eye candy for female viewers.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you miss the fanboys if they dare to cast an a 50 year old woman as companion :rolleyes:
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember there being a campaign for a "hot" Doctor before David Tennant was cast - he was a great Doctor who just happened to be very good looking.

If that brought a new legion of "fangirls" to the show, so what?? They are as entitled as any to enjoy it.

Some of the comments on here are misogynistic and ignorant in the extreme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    To be honest, it's the 'fangirls' that help keep the show going...
  • hypergreenfroghypergreenfrog Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    pickwick wrote: »

But it's clearly ridiculous anyway. (Capaldi is hot as hell :D)

Thank you, thank you so much for this comment!

Since this morning, all I read is hate and derision towards so-called fangirls and terribly shallow young viewers who apparently are all madly in love with Doctors 10 and 11 (seriously?) and will all immediately stop watching as soon as the actor who plays the Doctor is over 30.

Where have you met all those people, or heard their reaction? I have yet to meet a single one of them.

Also, have you ever considered the following:

1. The man most commonly named as the "teen sex symbol Doctor", David Tennant, is actually 42.

2. Matt Smith is only 30 (which, I can assure you, is not the same as being a teen, but I'll accept it's young), but the way he played the character could not have been farther removed from a stereotypical sexy young male figure. You'd have to be a certain level of geeky to fall for his Doctor, definitely not someone just looking for "hot&sexy".

3. Peter Capaldi has lots of charisma, and could definitely pull off "attractive" if he chose to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since this morning, all I read is hate and derision towards so-called fangirls and terribly shallow young viewers who apparently are all madly in love with Doctors 10 and 11 (seriously?) and will all immediately stop watching as soon as the actor who plays the Doctor is over 30.

Where have you met all those people, or heard their reaction? I have yet to meet a single one of them.

No, there's loads of them out there. There must be, because whenever I say I've never encountered a single solitary one of these rabid "fangirls", I get a lot of posts saying I'm wrong, and people fall over them all the time, and they are so annoying they spoil everyone's enjoyment!:confused:
  • KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    I never said I have met them, its just the Twitter reaction
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Hell No

I've seen a few comments like that, though none here in DS. (We obviously get a better type of fangirl here!)

For example, scroll down the comments in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDGzzGRKukE
    and you'll see things like "He doesn't look like the person who can be witty and funny like matt smith is now and no I've never watched this guys other programmes so I don't even know him", or "He's old and Oswald is like twice his age it's just wrong I'm done with it I've lost all respect for the created of doctor who". Although they're outnumbered by all the hundreds of positive comments welcoming him.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said I have met them, its just the Twitter reaction

Twitter was called that for a reason - age has got nothing to do with it :D
  • Mr_MoogleMr_Moogle Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Yes
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Just seems to demonstrate how shallow some fans are.

So what if some people only watch the show for a bit of eye candy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    They are there, on Facebook.

Despite sarcasm, you only have to click on any DW story for the last two days on the Official DW Facebook page and you will see them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Moogle wrote: »

It's as good a reason as wanting to see spaceships zoom around and Aliens blow things up!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Moogle wrote: »
    Exactly. I started watching because I adore Chris Eccleston, and I bet I could now beat half of these people on any True Who Fan quiz they cared to come up with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I think there was a little bit of it on Tumblr because they had a specific guy they'd been expecting (either Aneurin Barnard or Daniel Rigby) but they got over it quick enough. And there were a few on Twitter, and then their tweets got shared derisively by "proper" Who fans which was just nasty, I thought. Those poor kids probably got dogs abuse just for having an opinion, from grown adults who'd have just as strong and stupid opinions about other things to do with Doctor Who. I bet the fangirls won't be the ones freaking out and threatening never to watch again if Moffat just ignores the "12 regeneration limit" :D