Orange charging me for mms texts I didn't send

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Hi

Using a Sony Xperia tipo with sim only contract with Orange.

Contract gives me 300 texts a month but have now bee advised that I sent 45 photo mms im July and have been charged for these. Explained that I have not sent 1 never mind 45 and then told that I must be somehow sending sms as mms!

Checked phone settings and there is only 1 way to send sms and all my messages are sms.

Has anyone else had this problem with Orange or other providers?

Thanks

Comments

• Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anything about that phone in particular, but some phones will send what appears to be a text message as an MMS when any of the following are true:
    • You include a subject line (SMS does not support subject lines)
    • You go over a certain message length
    • You send a message to multiple people at the same time
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two things to remember:

On some phones, if you receive an MMS then any reply to it will be an MMS

On some phones, if you send long text messages (more than 160 characters) they can be converted to MMS.

So, if someone sent you a pic or a long text message that their phone had converted to MMS there is a chance you could of replied as MMS.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you sent any group texts? For some reason that no-one can fathom, Android sends all group texts (i.e. ones with more than 1 recipient) as MMS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Many thanks.

It must be these messages to multiple users then. Just out of interest does this also happen with iPhones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks.

It must be these messages to multiple users then. Just out of interest does this also happen with iPhones?

Yes, it does.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On new versions of Android, you can go into Settings and untick "Send group messages as MMS"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Many thanks again