Ovivo mobile.

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw a recommendation for this on another website and, as I always like to have a back up phone so don't want to spend too much - I have always been on contract with o2 for my main mobile - I thought I'd check out the website. 150 mins/250 texts per month is free. Sounds too good to be true, right? I'm feeling a bit sceptical, but continued the sign up thinking, if it asks for any credit card/banking details, I won't go ahead. Then a page crops up, telling me what it will cost me; I thought it was free! £12.50 for talk time outside my allowed plan - I don't need this, as it's only a second phone - plus £2.50 vat. I didn't accept the T + Cs, and bailed out. I found out that the reason this mobile virtual network operator can offer free calls, is that every time you use your phone, for anything, it displays advertisements. It states on the website that there is no contract, and you can leave at any time but, if you read the T + Cs - I recommend you do - if you choose to leave, you lose any talktime you have on the phone. Customer reviews are ALL positive, addressing the obvious concerns anyone would have when you get something for nothing. I was even more convinced there was something a bit iffy about this company and, in the past, my first instinct has always been the right one, so I won't be taking up this 'offer'. Even if it is genuine, I don't want to be bothered with ads each time I tap my phone; I would end up not using it. Is anyone with Oviva, or have any info on it? Thanks.

Comments

• ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an Ovivo SIM card and use it as a spare SIM card which I carry in my wallet. I've only ever paid them £5 for the SIM card and from that point on I haven't paid anything.

It seems as if you've accidently signed up to one of the plans. You aren't shown adverts when using calls or texts but only when browsing the internet using the SIM card which is how the make their money. Though saying that I have never seen an advertt whilst using the internet, though they claim I should do.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    I have an Ovivo SIM card and use it as a spare SIM card which I carry in my wallet. I've only ever paid them £5 for the SIM card and from that point on I haven't paid anything.

It seems as if you've accidently signed up to one of the plans. You aren't shown adverts when using calls or texts but only when browsing the internet using the SIM card which is how the make their money. Though saying that I have never seen an advertt whilst using the internet, though they claim I should do.

No, I haven't signed up, purposely. So if you just want the sim for calls - as I would, seeing as it would be a stand by - you won't get ads?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my sim for years now, and have never added anything more than the original signup fee. The only time you might see an ad is when browsing, and even then is quite rare ... did you really believe you would see an advert when making a call?

The ad takes about 2 seconds of your browsing time, and takes a simple click on screen to dismiss, and continue to your web page.

Not really sure why your so sceptical about the T&C'S, they all look and sound pretty standard to me.
  • girlinstaticgirlinstatic Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my mum on Ovivo as she is a fairly low user, so will never have to top up her phone again as long as the company is around.

As others have said, you only see ads while browsing the internet, and even then it's rare and only takes a few seconds to view. Personally I think it's one hell of a deal, they have to support themselves some way. But if you don't use the internet on your phone then you'll never see an ad.

Also, there is definitely no catch. You do have to buy the sim which is £15 now as far as I know, but that also gets added back to your sim as credit, so if you ever do go over the monthly free limit, you can use that up. Once that is gone it is impossible to go over, but you can top up just like a pay as you go sim if you're using more than the free tariff. I found the call and text costs outside of the monthly allowance are very cheap also!
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, for your input. I am, innately, a sceptic who questions everything. The £15 initial cost is for calls, the sim comes gratis.
  • OldHippy53OldHippy53 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    This looks like quite a good deal-pay £15 up front which lasts for ever providing you use the phone at least once every 60 days. I haven't found another provider where you can put credit on just once. This would be a back up SIM mainly (I'm on Three and very happy with them) but Ovivo's charges for the dreaded 08 numbers are a very reasonable 12p a minute which is cheaper than from my Virgin landline, so it may be worth getting one for this alone.
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,538
    Forum Member
    I've been on GiffGaff for about 3-4years now. After seeing Ovivo mentioned on a number of forums the past few months, I took the dip and ordered a sim a few days ago.

Came this morning, whacked it in my iPhone and activated it. Just applied to transfer my old number over. Seems pretty simple so far and I'm a pretty low user so the allowances are more than enough for me. Apple's iMessage feature has saved me a fortune in texts.

Now I won't have to top up ever again hopefully.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and the OH have been with Ovivo since last September and have saved about a hundred odd pounds so far as opposed to using our old network GiffGaff.

As for adverts, I don’t see them very often mainly because the Vodafone 3G network is so naff I am lucky to get a download speed fast enough to play any ads but it can handle data apps such as news and weather that run in the background with no ads on my smartphone so this is fine by me.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    No, I haven't signed up, purposely. So if you just want the sim for calls - as I would, seeing as it would be a stand by - you won't get ads?

Correct.

I know a while back there were reports of the advert system not working whilst browsing data so customers were free to browse the internet without any adverts, not sure if it's been fixed now or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Correct.

I know a while back there were reports of the advert system not working whilst browsing data so customers were free to browse the internet without any adverts, not sure if it's been fixed now or not.

I think the ads problem has been fixed with the APN settings changes a month or so ago.

I have not been effected by this because of the not so good 3G service in my area and the fact I don’t like using a internet browser on a 4” screen but on the odd occasion I do, I get the odd ad that is very similar to the type you get in free Android apps except there only on screen for a few seconds.
  • FiendishlyCFiendishlyC Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I'm getting ads for Wonga every few pages. Combine this with the shockingly poor 3G coverage (you have to be virtually underneath the mast to get 3G). Porting back to Three this week - I gave it a two month trial :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting ads for Wonga every few pages. Combine this with the shockingly poor 3G coverage (you have to be virtually underneath the mast to get 3G). Porting back to Three this week - I gave it a two month trial :)

I know what you mean. I am thinking of getting one of those dual sim phones then pop the Ovivo in the 2G slot and my 3-2-1 sim in the 3G slot.
  • ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I am thinking of getting one of those dual sim phones then pop the Ovivo in the 2G slot and my 3-2-1 sim in the 3G slot.

i was also thinking of doing the same i need a second sim for occasional calls to things i dont want my main mobile giving out to so was thinking of gettin one of these ovivo sims and a dual sim phone This has been catching my eyes

Ash
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I get very good 3G coverage and I travel around the country a fair bit.

I dont mind the ads but have never had one for Wonga. Did have one for Three's 123 PAYG sim which I though was a bit strange.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I was using a Razr locked to Tmobile on PAYG for the last 6 years or so and it suited me as I'm a very low user and don't need an iPhone or Galaxy or a contract. All the kids have either Galaxys or iPhones and though they are very impressive they cost big bucks.

I only tried one place to inquire about unlocking my Razr and it was over £20, I'm sure I could have got much cheaper online but anyway I instead bought a cheap (£20) dual sim from Ebay and an Ovivo sim. With great timing they both arrived on Monday morning and all up and running nicely.

150 mins on Tmobile would cost £22.50 but I've never spent more than £10pm so I'm unlikely to go over and even if I did its half the price per minute.
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only 'catch' as far as I'm aware, is that you they don't actually offer a lot in terms of minutes and text (relatively speaking), but internet data on the other hand is actually pretty good - 500mb a month is better than many pay monthly deals out there

Still, 150mins and 250 text is awesome for a cost of nothing, and you can always top up as well just like any pay as you go sim. I really am perplexed as to how they sustain themselves as a business, considering that the ads (apparently) only appear when you go on the internet, and even then its rare and it only lasts for a few seconds. They can't be getting much from advertising surely....
  • Tool2004Tool2004 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking of using Ovivo on my Nexus 4.
    Has anyone used Tweakker (or anything similar) to automatically change the settings?
    Thanks
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at their website and checking the about and coverage pages i'm still none the wiser as to what network it runs on?

Anyone help me out please?

EDIT

scratch that i've just googled it, I can honestly say their coverage checker is a complete lie regarding my area. 3G indoors! pah

Vodafone sucks where i live.
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of getting a sim card from Ovivo, the Freedom one for £15 as I only use my 'phone for texts and the odd 'phone call, (I'm on pay as you go and only top up about £10 every 6 months) however, as it uses Vodafone network that has slightly scuppered things as the cover is not good where I live for Vodafone, unless I go outside.

I'm with T-mobile at the moment and had a good text only plan (no longer available) but they've now stopped that and their Pay as you go plans are not pay as you go any more, as you have to top up £10 per month and I never use that much.