Enhanced CRB check

stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
Forum Member
I've just filled in a form for an enhanced CRB check for some voluntary work I'm (hopefully) going to be doing. However just having looked at the CRB website I'm a bit concerned.

I thought that any cautions received as a juvenile weren't stored permanently on your record, does anyone know if that is that correct?

I've also had various other dealings with the police (although not been in trouble/arrested) over the years and am concerned that some of them might show up too as it says that with the enhanced check they can disclosed any info known to the police.

Does anyone know exactly what info they disclose on an enhanced check?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My enhanced CRB check showed a conviction I received when I was 15, but did not show any info on something I was arrested on suspicion of but never charged (I had concrete proof it was not me, but I doubt any arrests will be shown unless you were actually charged with an offence).
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that enhanced CRB's show EVERYTHING!

That's why they're called "enhanced.."

Sorry!
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    I had an enhanced CRB and a caution I had at 14 never showed up on it.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you assisted the police, gave evidence as a witness etc that isn't the kind of information that shows up..
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about the caution I got when I was 14 anyway, but if it doesn't show up even better.

It's not exactly helping the police I was thinking off. Unfortunately there have been 8 or 9 domestic incidents in the past where I've had to call the police or a neighbour has. I haven't done anything wrong but my ex was involved and he has a criminal record as long as my arm. I just don't think it looks very good.

There were also a few incidents when i was younger involving me and alcohol where the police were involved but I wasn't arrested/charged

God, this sounds awful :o
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    From what I was taught at school,any record you have as a minor gets erased.
    Forum Member
    That's the impression i've always been under too, unless it's a major crime such as rape or murder
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I was taught at school,any record you have as a minor gets erased.

If you have been convicted of something, then it does show up on an enhanced CRB check, even as a minor.

You don't have to declare it on job applications as it's "spent" but it will still show on the check.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are best to put down everything, no matter how small and insignificant you think it might be.

We have to be SC Cleared, and I even included a caution for riding my pushbike with no lights when I was about 10. Not sure if it was a real 'caution' or more of a case of the butch female inspector putting the fear of god into me.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about the caution I got when I was 14 anyway, but if it doesn't show up even better.

It's not exactly helping the police I was thinking off. Unfortunately there have been 8 or 9 domestic incidents in the past where I've had to call the police or a neighbour has. I haven't done anything wrong but my ex was involved and he has a criminal record as long as my arm. I just don't think it looks very good.

There were also a few incidents when i was younger involving me and alcohol where the police were involved but I wasn't arrested/charged

God, this sounds awful :o
    I wouldnt worry too much, the agency will not necessarily be looking for a clean record...they will be looking for things that suggest you might be a risk to children. Very unlikey that they would take any notice of a caution for eg....stealing a mars bar when aged 14, but if it was indecent exposure they might be more concerned.

I work for child protection services and all staff are subject to enhanced CRB checks and many staff do have minor convictions or cautions for things which are not of concern.
    Forum Member
    Taglet wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry too much, the agency will not necessarily be looking for a clean record...they will be looking for things that suggest you might be a risk to children. Very unlikey that they would take any notice of a caution for eg....stealing a mars bar when aged 14, but if it was indecent exposure they might be more concerned.

I work for child protection services and all staff are subject to enhanced CRB checks and many staff do have minor convictions or cautions for things which are not of concern.

Thanks Taglet. Yes, it was a caution for shoplifting when I was 14 and I don't really think the company would hold that against me. I suppose as long as there is nothing that would make a risk to children (which there isnt) I should be ok. :)
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Taglet. Yes, it was a caution for shoplifting when I was 14 and I don't really think the company would hold that against me. I suppose as long as there is nothing that would make a risk to children (which there isnt) I should be ok. :)

I wouldnt worry too much about that....write it down on the form...the important thing is to be honest....declare everything.

Good luck....and I'll eat my hat if it matters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to have several CRB's as a teacher and although I've never been in trouble for anything I've still been worried!! (Typical see a police officer walking down the street and feeling guilty syndrome!:D)

I've been told however that they types of things they are looking for are drugs offences and to see if you are any risk to children so it sounds like you should be ok!
  • Deb11Deb11 Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    There could be an issue though if you put donw no convictions and somthing comes up on the Enhanced CRB check no matter how old - the question will be why you did not declare it.
    That's probably worse than having a minor conviction which you delcared
    Forum Member
    Deb11 wrote: »
    There could be an issue though if you put donw no convictions and somthing comes up on the Enhanced CRB check no matter how old - the question will be why you did not declare it.
    That's probably worse than having a minor conviction which you delcared

Well they didn't actually ask if I had any convictions. I don't think getting a caution as a minor counts as a conviction does it? I don't know. :o:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Other than fill in the form there is not much you can do, so I would try not to worry about what might or might not come up. I would say that organisations cannot discriminate against you if you have committed an offence unrelated to the post that shows up on the CRB, especially if it was a one off or from a long time ago.

Anyway, a caution isn't a conviction though, they are different things. you would have a conviction if you had been found guilty in court for an offence. Is this the case? A caution is just like an official warning given to someone who has committed a minor offence (usually a first time offence as well) and has admitted guilt. Cautions do go on your criminal record, but I don't know how long for it to be wiped. I would imagine it would depend on the crime, and if you have committed any more offences etc. The CRB asks for unspent convictions, if you have no convictions but a caution, you would answer “no” still.

As a side matter, I thought people under 18 years couldn't receive cautions as such? I thought they were called something else, and maybe “cautions” as a young offender won’t show up?
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some police forces have not been removing details of minor offences/cautions and have just been told by the Data Protection Office to remove them, but are contesting the decision (was on radio5 this morning).

When they appear they show-up in a very generalised form that might cause concern. (e.g. a girl on the program was cautioned after she slapped another girl when she was 14, and, aged 20 now, it showed up on her CRB as agravated assault)