Laptop not picking up my wireless anymore. Help appreciated!

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK so I'm not sure if its a router problem, mainly as I cannot see how it could be, I'm on my tablet now, right next to my laptop, and the internet appears to be working fine, as it does from the desktop.
The wireless symbol on the bottom right side of the windows 7 screen has a little orange dot over it.
The router is being recognised, as it has full signal on the signal symbol with the word connect on it, I have tried connecting several times but is not working.
I have erased the wireless connection from the computer and picked it up again, no use.
I have also done a virus scan no use.
What else can I do?
I need the internet back on it asap.
Could the wireless card inside have something wrong with it?
Is there some sort of USB adapter I can buy?

Hope this makes sense, as I am no good with this sort of thing.

As I said it recognises the wireless device, knows it's there, but is not picking up any internet.

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    You may have accidentally switched off the wireless on the laptop, what make and model is it ?
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power cycle the router
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Try this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/wireless-icon-at-the-bottom-right-of-my-computer/0dc8a8f8-945d-4f1f-8140-342e70c63b0d

Personally, I would:

1. Shut down the router. (Power cycle, as above)
    2. "Forget" the wireless connection.
    3. Diable and then re-enable the wireless network adapter on the laptop.Then reboot it.
    4. Power the router back on.
    5. Set your wifi connection up from new again.

And then see where I was at.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    ...I have tried connecting several times but is not working...
    How far do you get in connecting to the router?

Do you get as far as putting in the WPA key?
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Try this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/wireless-icon-at-the-bottom-right-of-my-computer/0dc8a8f8-945d-4f1f-8140-342e70c63b0d

Personally, I would:

1. Shut down the router. (Power cycle, as above)
    2. "Forget" the wireless connection.
    3. Diable and then re-enable the wireless network adapter on the laptop.Then reboot it.
    4. Power the router back on.
    5. Set your wifi connection up from new again.

And then see where I was at.

OK and how does on disable the wireless adapter ?
    Zenith wrote: »
    How far do you get in connecting to the router?

Do you get as far as putting in the WPA key?

No idea what a WPA key is.

The laptop started picking up the internet again last night, now its gone back to buggering up and disconnecting for long period of time every 5 minutes, yet I am using my tablet with the same router this second, but the laptop will not work .
    Forum Member
    OK and how does on disable the wireless adapter ?

Go into your network and sharing centre.
    Click "Change Adapter Settings" on the left hand side.
    Find the connection that relates to your wifi.
    Right click and disable.
    Wait until it disables.
    Right click and enable.

Done.

Although if it's connecting and disconnecting, and you're happy the signal is strong, it sounds like you might have a flaky wifi adapter. All you can do here is try uninstalling it completely through hardware manager and re-installing it with the most up to date drivers. (Which you should be able to find online) If that doesn't do it, then duff hardware sounds likely.

Don't suppose you have an external (USB or something) one you could try instead? (ie. disable the onboard one and try using the external one and see if it's OK)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Go into your network and sharing centre.
    Click "Change Adapter Settings" on the left hand side.
    Find the connection that relates to your wifi.
    Right click and disable.
    Wait until it disables.
    Right click and enable.

Done.

Although if it's connecting and disconnecting, and you're happy the signal is strong, it sounds like you might have a flaky wifi adapter. All you can do here is try uninstalling it completely through hardware manager and re-installing it with the most up to date drivers. (Which you should be able to find online) If that doesn't do it, then duff hardware sounds likely.

Don't suppose you have an external (USB or something) one you could try instead? (ie. disable the onboard one and try using the external one and see if it's OK)

Looks like its an internet problem, as its now started happening on my tablet and mobile !!
    I rung AOL and they are as useless as ever.

I just find it odd that the tablet/mobiles were fine whilst the laptop wasn't, but now its happening on all devices.

To say I'm frustratingly annoyed is an understatement ! :mad:
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like its an internet problem, as its now started happening on my tablet and mobile !!
    I rung AOL and they are as useless as ever.

You started off describing what seemed to be a WiFi connection problem but now you are talking about an Internet problem. They are quite different and you need first to sort out which if you are going to have any hope of fixing it.

Your router should have a web interface which you can use from the desktop (by LAN cable if necessary) and laptop. Start there and see if the laptop etc are shown in its list of WiFi connections. If they all appear correctly you may have an Internet issue, if not sort out the WiFi first.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would wire your laptop to the router with an ethernet (network) cable & try changing the channel number of the wifi, as it now appears that all your devices are having trouble with wireless connections. Perhaps your laptop is more susceptible to interferance than your other devices.

You could even keep the laptop connected to the router for a while to see if it behaves itself. You would then know if it's the wireless side or the internet side that's playing up.

There's a program called Inssider that I use to see what channels other nearby users are using.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's it all devices that's a whole new can of worms starting with the router and working back from there....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The desktop is wired by Ethernet, it appeared to work when loading webpages, but would not let me download any programs !
    AOL are sending me a new router, hopefully this will solve the problem ...
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    The desktop is wired by Ethernet, it appeared to work when loading webpages, but would not let me download any programs !
    AOL are sending me a new router, hopefully this will solve the problem ...

Please post back to let us know if new router solves problem?