Gregor Rebula and Rachael Heron split

soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
Forum Member
4 times UK latin champion 2009-2012 and placed 9th in 2012 WDC latin World Championship, Gregor Rebula and Rachael Heron have announced their split. Over 4 years of partnership their computer mark advanced from 1838 to 1864.

Now dancing for England, Michael Malitowsky and Joanna Leunis came second in Albert Hall then Innsbruck, and tonight go into Bournemouth on 2003. Riccardo Cocci and Yulia Zagoruychenko won everything in sight after Blackpool to become clear world number one on 2007.

Young Anton Sboev and Patrizia Ranis now dance for England. Becca's favourite and mine are on 2003 -- good luck tonight ♥ ♥ .

Arunas Bizokas and Katusha Demidova won Bournemouth standard last night to rise to 2054 after 71 straight wins :eek: :);) .

Comments

• olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aw, no, really? gutted :(
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    soulmate61 wrote: »
    Young Anton Sboev and Patrizia Ranis now dance for England. Becca's favourite and mine are on 2003 -- good luck tonight ♥ ♥ .

That typo must have been wishful thinking -- they are on 1803. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

boo :cry::cry: thanks for the info soulmate61
    Forum Member
    Sorry Olive to be the bearer of bad news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWMbv1uaI4
    Innsbruck World Championsip last October, opening with a traditional Olympic style parade of the nations. England team finished with:

Michael & Joanna 2nd,
    Gregor & Rachael 9th,
    Anton and Patrizia 24th (Patrizia #30 redhead in chrome yellow)

As Gregor & Rachael seek respective new partners, young Anton and Patrizia will be England number two -- her future.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 times UK latin champion 2009-2012 and placed 9th in 2012 WDC latin World Championship, Gregor Rebula and Rachael Heron have announced their split. Over 4 years of partnership their computer mark advanced from 1838 to 1864.

Now dancing for England, Michael Malitowsky and Joanna Leunis came second in Albert Hall then Innsbruck, and tonight go into Bournemouth on 2003. Riccardo Cocci and Yulia Zagoruychenko won everything in sight after Blackpool to become clear world number one on 2007.

Arunas Bizokas and Katusha Demidova won Bournemouth standard last night to rise to 2054 after 71 straight wins :eek: :);) .

Great Britain still if I am not mistakenly reading the notes to the youtube of Innsbruck. ;)

http://youtu.be/QlWMbv1uaI4
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just an observation. Do folks think a subforum for and about ballroom and latin dancing in genearl but not directly linked to SCD would be worthwhile, so a thread with stories like this and other stuff can go into it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Olive to be the bearer of bad news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWMbv1uaI4
    Innsbruck World Championsip last October, opening with a traditional Olympic style parade of the nations. England team finished with:

Michael & Joanna 2nd,
    Gregor & Rachael 9th,
    Anton and Patrizia 24th (Patrizia #30 redhead in chrome yellow)

As Gregor & Rachael seek respective new partners, young Anton and Patrizia will be England number two -- her future.

no need to be sorry soulmate61 - I have half expected it for a while tbh its just sad to learn its actually happened
    Forum Member
    England's Neil Jones and Ekaterina Sokolowa had their 26th straight amateur latin win last night in Bournemouth, then promptly announced they were turning professional.

Their Amateur computer mark of 1878 is numerically similar to Gregor and Rachael's. It remains to be seen how a mark earned from beating amateurs holds up on the professionals' ladder.

http://www.dancesportinfo.net/Articles/7821.aspx
    Forum Member
    So efficient is international dance admin that by the time I checked at 11pm full results for tonight's professional latin were on the web. Out of 200 couples entered:

8 English couples went out in Round 1,
    3 English couples made Round 2,
    4 English couples made Round 3,
    3 English couples made Round 4 including Anton and Patrizia,
    2 English couples made Round 5,

Michael and Joanna who adopted England then breezed into the Semifinal and Final to beat Riccardo and Yulia plus 4 other standing dishes. :) England wins ★ ☆ in Dorset.

* Becca * is there and we may get a word from the front line ♥ ;)

By tomorrow night there should be a clip from DSI Dance TV viewable below about Michael and Joanna, just like tonight there is a magnificent clip about Arunas and Katusha dancing last night.
    http://www.dancesportinfo.net/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So efficient is international dance admin that by the time I checked at 11pm full results for tonight's professional latin were on the web. Out of 200 couples entered:

8 English couples went out in Round 1,
    3 English couples made Round 2,
    4 English couples made Round 3,
    3 English couples made Round 4 including Anton and Patrizia,
    2 English couples made Round 5,

Michael and Joanna who adopted England then breezed into the Semifinal and Final to beat Riccardo and Yulia plus 4 other standing dishes. :) England wins ★ ☆ in Dorset.

* Becca * is there and we may get a word from the front line ♥ ;)

By tomorrow night there should be a clip from DSI Dance TV viewable below about Michael and Joanna, just like tonight there is a magnificent clip about Arunas and Katusha dancing last night.
    http://www.dancesportinfo.net/

So how do these competitions work? Are they all dancing competitively at the same time or do they take turns for 2 minutes (or so) in the spotlight?
    Forum Member
    In the early rounds of a competition starting out with 200 or 300 couples, as many as 20 or even 25 couples dance on a super-large floor (120-foot long rectangle?) at the same time in Heat 1, say the cha cha cha for 100 seconds. They finish, take a bow to audience applause, then exit the floor with minimum delay to be replaced by another 20 couples in Heat 2 doing the same. 12 cha cha chas later (not to the same tune) all 240 contestants have performed cha cha chas, to be marked by 11 judges for recall into the next round or otherwise..

Having had a half-hour rest after their cha cha cha, 20 couples in Heat 1 then come back to dance the samba as Heat 1 of 12. After another half-hour rest our Heat 1 contestant again comes back to dance the rumba, then the paso doble (the jive starting from Round 3). After each round the field is reduced by slightly under half, with the number of heats correspondingly reduced, and likewise the rest period between dances.

By the 7th and Final round 6 couples are left in the competition, often the same 6 couples have been marked as the best in performing each of the 5 dances. By Final time comprising only 1 Heat, the rest period after each 100-second dance dwindles to as low as 40 seconds or less. This is when classy Finalists (having danced 20 times in 6 hours, starting from Round 3 as seeded dancers) are expected to dazzle audience and judges with their most scintillating and inspiring art and athleticism. Dancers who started from Round 1 would have danced 28 times before the Final begins. Only the world's best make the Final, the young, super fit and gifted. The champion is the best of the best.

Whereas Blackpool starts with 300 couples and Bournemouth 200, the Innsbruck World Championship started with only 74 couples, hence only 5 rounds. But there is no fluking a win.
  • * Becca ** Becca * Posts: 4,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been awesome. This competition was the closest one yet for me to try to call, and had me guessing right up until the last second. It was absolutely mind blowing and pretty emotional! Some couples really raised their game to a whole new level and challenged harder than ever before. I am majorly sleep deprived from the last few days so my brain is barely functioning to string words together, but it has been truly phenomenal.

Patrizia is now a brunette again - kind of a mid to dark brown - and I'm loving it, best colour so far. She had a gorgeous clean look on the floor, I like her best when she just wears very basic silhouettes, she doesn't look right in fussy or brightly coloured costumes. She stood out a million times more here than she has done anywhere else of late and I really feel they should have been in the 24.

With Dasha apparently unable to get a visa, Markus still injured and Justin and Anna randomly absent, there was one last place in the final up for grabs, and my prediction that Emanuele and Elisa would fill it was right. Good on them! She especially was so grateful to be there.

I'm so looking forward to seeing the marks, I think a lot of things will have been very close calls. That final lineup could have so easily been different. I can't believe it's over so fast, it feels like I've only just got here! Next stop Tokyo, Asian Open!

Oh, and on Gregor and Rachael - I can't say it surprises me. They were really beginning to push the boundaries a little bit too far over what is and isn't acceptable on the floor, if you understand what I mean.
    Forum Member
    Many thanks * Becca * ♪ ♥ ♫ for your eyewitness reaction. DSI London TV clip on Day 3 now on the web convinces me this was indeed a vintage festival, the shining crown jewels of dance. Definitely would have to buy the DVD, not least to spot those two famous film extras in the background, yourself and Laura. Have fun in Tokyo! :)

The DSI interviewer (Martin Cutler?) let slip they expect to transmit Blackpool 2013 in real time on the web with no BBC muppet in sight. Words fail me :D

Only 4 months to Blackpool now. Time to sort out my Aer Lingus flight tickets and to book a frontrow seat for Congress lectures. Who knows, might even shake hands with a potential over-35 competition partner for me, 'tis free to dream ;) .

Joanna in her 7th Bournemouth win is within hailing distance of 8-wins Donnie. This mountain top duel between Yulia and Joanna taking turns to beat each other is priceless. The DSI clip shows some exquisite standard dresses, while Yulia's latin dresses by Jordy make me think of Greek goddesses. Patrizia makes me think of Titian paintings, I lose all objectivity when I think of her :D .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even think as far ahead as Blackpool yet - I need to deal with all the competitions in the next three months first! However, I wasn't even aware that a schedule was available yet for the Congress - let alone tickets. Where did you find these?
    Forum Member
    Hi Becca, it's true the 2013 Congress schedule has not been published, nor ticket sales. Every year the Blackpool programme says "Tickets will also be available on the door" implying tickets are available in advance for purchase using credit cards(?).

Each year that I turned up on Saturday morning, even at 9am when the doors opened, all frontrow seats had been reserved by names stuck on the chairs. My inference is that Far Eastern ticket buyers did so in advance. If they bought tickets 3 months ahead of me, well I can buy one 4 months ahead with programme sight unseen..

I shall email WDC (it's their turn in 2013) to find out which bureaucrat will accept seat reservations and when. I shall tip you off when I have any joy. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually the contact is published on the BDC website, and I don't think they ever usually accept seat reservations. You can still buy in advance though, but you would need to queue for a seat. BDF who held it last year allow reservations, but they only allow them for those people attending all sessions. Since I only ever tend to go for one session, that doesn't really apply to me. Usually the schedule comes out around this time, late January to early February, but details will definitely go on the BDC website as as soon as they are available. Looking forward to seeing the topics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the early rounds of a competition starting out with 200 or 300 couples, as many as 20 or even 25 couples dance on a super-large floor (120-foot long rectangle?) at the same time in Heat 1, say the cha cha cha for 100 seconds. They finish, take a bow to audience applause, then exit the floor with minimum delay to be replaced by another 20 couples in Heat 2 doing the same. 12 cha cha chas later (not to the same tune) all 240 contestants have performed cha cha chas, to be marked by 11 judges for recall into the next round or otherwise..

Having had a half-hour rest after their cha cha cha, 20 couples in Heat 1 then come back to dance the samba as Heat 1 of 12. After another half-hour rest our Heat 1 contestant again comes back to dance the rumba, then the paso doble (the jive starting from Round 3). After each round the field is reduced by slightly under half, with the number of heats correspondingly reduced, and likewise the rest period between dances.

By the 7th and Final round 6 couples are left in the competition, often the same 6 couples have been marked as the best in performing each of the 5 dances. By Final time comprising only 1 Heat, the rest period after each 100-second dance dwindles to as low as 40 seconds or less. This is when classy Finalists (having danced 20 times in 6 hours, starting from Round 3 as seeded dancers) are expected to dazzle audience and judges with their most scintillating and inspiring art and athleticism. Dancers who started from Round 1 would have danced 28 times before the Final begins. Only the world's best make the Final, the young, super fit and gifted. The champion is the best of the best.

Whereas Blackpool starts with 300 couples and Bournemouth 200, the Innsbruck World Championship started with only 74 couples, hence only 5 rounds. But there is no fluking a win.

Thanks for the explanation. I suspect as with any judged sport or art that once a couple is regarded as "top" then it is difficult to dislodge them and seeds will seldom fail to get through to the finals - unlike in say, tennis.

So difficult to break into the elite I suspect but then difficult to be replaced.
    Forum Member
    Unlike Wimbledon tennis, seeding is not decided by a panel of experts. Any couple who complete Round 5 of 7 will be given a free pass into Round 3 of 7 next year. Any couple who complete Round 4 will be given a free pass into Round 2 next year.

Dance partnership would be more analogous to tennis doubles partnership. For many reasons including adverse results, matrimony, injury, retirement etc, dance partnerships split then re-form. Any newly formed partnership without exception will start dancing from Round 1.

As for 11 judges more or less hanging on to entrenched opinions favouring defender more than challenger, I leave that to experts. Judges are drawn from no small pool of retired champions, with each year's roster of 11 rotated from year to year (I suspect one complete cycle of judges rotation takes all of 3 years). For this reason lingering personal opinions cannot easily influence the following year because this year's judge will not be invited next year -- with some exceptions for the biggest shots. Like this forum, 11 fiercely independent judges cannot agree what time of day it is.

If contestants find their results do not improve, well it is hellishly difficult to rise above a personal plateau, and expensive to pay for best coaching. I might guess that whenever a couple are seriously off form at any time they would sidestep any imminent comp to protect their computer mark. For this reason you would not see Number One Seed suffering spectacular defeat. Nevertheless a latin champion with 20+ straight wins later walked smack into defeat by Number Two, not once but 3 times.
    Forum Member
    * Becca * wrote: »
    It has been awesome. This competition was the closest one yet for me to try to call, and had me guessing right up until the last second. It was absolutely mind blowing and pretty emotional! Some couples really raised their game to a whole new level and challenged harder than ever before.
    I'm so looking forward to seeing the marks, I think a lot of things will have been very close calls. That final lineup could have so easily been different. I can't believe it's over so fast, it feels like I've only just got here! Next stop Tokyo, Asian Open!

Arunas and Katusha are winning all ballroom competitions everywhere :D , so competitive interest focuses on latin.

13 judges in UK Bournemouth Professional Latin

A Bryan Allen
    B Cheryl Beresford
    C Donnie Burns
    D Alison Fulham
    E John Knight
    F Lorraine
    G Pamela McGill
    H Nicola Nordin
    I Graham Oswick
    J Richard Porter
    K Hirotada Torii
    L Michael Wentink
    M Hidemi Yamamoto

6 Couples in Final

----5 Michael Malitowski and Joanna Leunis (England)
    210 Riccardo Cocchi and Yulia Zagoruychenko (USA)
    108 Sergey Surkov and Melia (Russia)
    --53 Maurizio Vescovo and Andra Vaidilaite (Canada)
    --88 Andrej Skufca and Melinda (Slovenia)
    174 Emanuele Soldi and Elisa Nasato (Italy)

Cha Cha Cha

JDG A B C D E F G H I J K L M
    ----5 1 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 1 1 2 2 2
    210 2 3 1 1 1 3 1 1 2 3 1 1 1 -> Yulia 8 - Joanna 5
    108 3 2 5 3 3 2 3 3 3 2 3 4 3
    --53 4 4 3 4 5 5 4 4 5 5 4 3 5
    --88 5 5 4 5 4 4 5 5 4 4 5 5 4
    174 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6

Samba

----5 1 1 3 1 2 1 2 2 1 2 1 2 1 -> Joanna 7 - Yulia 6
    210 2 2 1 2 1 2 1 1 2 1 2 1 2
    108 3 3 5 3 3 3 4 3 6 3 3 3 3
    --53 4 4 2 4 4 4 3 4 3 4 4 4 4
    --88 5 5 4 5 5 5 5 5 4 5 5 6 5
    174 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 6 6 5 6

Rumba

----5 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 1 3 1 -> Joanna 8 - Yulia 4 - Melia 1
    210 2 2 1 2 2 2 2 1 1 3 2 1 2
    108 3 4 4 3 3 4 4 3 4 1 3 2 3
    --53 4 3 2 4 5 3 3 4 3 4 5 4 5
    --88 5 5 5 5 4 5 5 5 6 6 4 6 4
    174 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 5 6 5 6

Paso Doble

----5 1 1 2 1 2 2 1 1 2 2 1 3 1 -> Joanna 7 - Yulia 4 - Melia 2
    210 3 3 1 2 1 3 2 2 1 3 2 1 2
    108 2 2 3 3 3 1 3 3 3 1 3 2 3
    --53 5 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 4 4 4 5
    --88 4 6 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 6 5 6 4
    174 6 5 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 6 5 6

Jive

----5 2 1 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
    210 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 -> Yulia 12 - Joanna 1
    108 3 3 5 4 3 3 4 3 6 3 3 3 3
    --53 4 4 2 3 4 4 3 4 3 4 4 4 5
    --88 5 5 4 5 5 5 6 5 4 5 5 6 4
    174 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 6 5 6 6 5 6

Five dances

C S R P J Tot Ranking
    ----5 2 1 1 1 2 07 1
    > After 5 dances, Joanna 3 - Yulia 2.
    210 1 2 2 2 1 08 2
    108 3 3 3 3 3 15 3
    --53 4 4 4 4 4 20 4
    --88 5 5 5 5 5 25 5
    174 6 6 6 6 6 30 6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should use this ranking system in SCD for both judges and voters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the television, they mark more like how Showdance is marked - which is completely correct I think, since each performance given is really a Showdance rather than a competitive routine.

In Showdance competitions, one set of marks is given for technique and one for performance - I guess on the television, they kind of combine the two into one set of marks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * Becca * wrote: »
    On the television, they mark more like how Showdance is marked - which is completely correct I think, since each performance given is really a Showdance rather than a competitive routine.

In Showdance competitions, one set of marks is given for technique and one for performance - I guess on the television, they kind of combine the two into one set of marks.

So did I misunderstand soulmate's post aboe? I understood from it that the ranking is decided not marks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, in a normal competition - each couple is given a placing rather than a score. Showdance competitions are different to normal competitions, and there each couple receives a score for their performance rather than a placing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this explains it a bit better than I ever could!

Showdance:
    Two marks will be given for each show throughout the whole competition, and will be based on adjudicating each performing couple individually and not to be judged by companson: a. Technical Merit - the technical quality of the dancing. b. Artistic Impression (1) Choreography (a) Is it used to express the music to it's fullest extent? (b) Is it using the theme of the music if there is any? (c) Are there clever and musically related ideas used in the choreography? (2) Originality of the idea (a) Related to music. (b) Related to choreography to the particular music. (c) Related to theme ideas (choreographically, performance, choice of dress). (3) Entertainment to the public c. The range of marks must be from 5.0 up to 6.0 as the best mark. Two couples can have the same marking. The two sets of marks will be added together and a placing allocated to each couple from each adjudicator with the highest total receiving first place.