Didn't get one for christmas, they're sold out and too expensive

James2001James2001 Posts: 73,422
Forum Member
✭✭
So I didn't get one! Boo hoo! :( I wanted one. I might get one next christmas. Who did get one, and what are they like?

Comments

• John WebbJohn Webb Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got one and they are impressive.

Not a lot of quality games out at the moment, but that may be due to the fact that the developers knew that not a lot of people will be able to get their grubby little hands one them so put out their sub-standard stuff first! :)

Seems to be an awful lot of driving games out/coming out. Although there are quite a few others.

Right - I'll just go off and play on my PS2 (he says trying in vain to make you even more jealous :):D)
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didnt get one for christmas but i couldnt care less, the PS2 from the demos i have seen and reviews i have read is very overated.
    The launch games are all sequels and although are not bad graphically they do not even look as good as the dreamcasts top games

Instead of a PS2 get yourself a dreamcast and you will have much more fun, i got a dreamcast last christmas and it has some of the most original and playable games ever.
    Great games like metropolis street racer, crazy taxi, soul calibur, resident evil code veronica and sonic are dreamcast only and are the best examples of good gameplay you can get and thats without even mentioning the excellent and epic shenmue that is years ahead of anything that squaresoft or sony could come up with
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by steven123

...Instead of a PS2 get yourself a dreamcast and you will have much more fun, i got a dreamcast last christmas and it has some of the most original and playable games ever.
    Great games like metropolis street racer, crazy taxi, soul calibur, resident evil code veronica and sonic are dreamcast only and are the best examples of good gameplay you can get and thats without even mentioning the excellent and epic shenmue that is years ahead of anything that squaresoft or sony could come up with...

I don't want to turn this into a DC vs PS2 argument but aren't all the games you mentioned come out in the last 3 - 6 months? (maybe a little more). It takes programmers to get used to new kits in programming with the hardware and software available to them.

DC games at launch were not highly impressive gems themsleves. Same as the original PlayStation console. It is to be expected when a new machine comes out - time is needed to play around with programming features.

The good stuff is yet to come - as most people were saying when other consoles first came out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know software for PS2 will get better i am just saying don't bother at the moment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    "DC games at launch were not highly impressive gems themsleves"

Dreamcasts never were that impressive :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by djalex
    Dreamcasts never were that impressive :)
    Yes they were, and yes they still are. I got one of the first DC's on launch day and I can tell you it was BRILLIANT, especially the idea of the memory card which sony have yet to beat. The controller for the D/C is also much better, I have played on both a PS2 that a friend got for xmas, and my own DC. At present the DC is as good as the PS2... So don't put it down! DC was the first and still is the ONLY console that comes with a modem built in for online gaming.

The only "advantage" of the PS is the DVD player, but its quality is equivilent to a low end one, so I would not want it as my "mine" player.

But having said all this, I am on the waiting list for a PS2, which I will be getting round about March, according to the local vShop :)

Regards
    Patrick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can pick up a DC brand new for £99.

• Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Patrick
    At present the DC is as good as the PS2... So don't put it down! DC was the first and still is the ONLY console that comes with a modem built in for online gaming.

Although I'd agree with you I haven't used my Dreamcast in ages. Shenmue was the only recent game that intrigued me but not enough to buy it. I'm saving my money on the more interesting PS2 titles coming up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do you mean shenmue has'nt intrigued you enough to buy it, it is one of the most interesting and original games the villages and towns are the most realistic and believable locations i have ever seen in a game
    note the word original you dont see much of that on PS2

If you don't believe how amazing shenmue is check out a review (online or in a mag) i have yet to see a bad review of this game

if you are looking for some great dreamcast games check out my previous post you must try these games you won't regret it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shenmue

Can be completed in no time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And thisis why it isn't a good game! :)

It has a terrible ending too! :)
  • Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't believe how amazing shenmue is check out a review (online or in a mag) i have yet to see a bad review of this game

Neither have I but that's not the point. I'm not going to buy it for such a short lived experience when I currently have various PC titles to finish off that I consider far more rewarding.

I may get Shenmue somewhere down the line but it's not a "must have" title for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by LYNX

DC games at launch were not highly impressive gems themsleves. Same as the original PlayStation console. It is to be expected when a new machine comes out - time is needed to play around with programming features.

I guess you haven't seen the XBox launch list

It looks devistatingly good.

WWF Raw Is War
    Halo
    Munch's Oddesey
    Crash Bandicoot X
    Tony Hawks 2 X
    Metal Gear X
  • BryanBryan Posts: 5,059
    Forum Member
    the x-box does look good and i'm gutted that we will see very little of Oddworld on the PS2, i was looking forward to that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Paul Kerton X

I guess you haven't seen the XBox launch list

It looks devistatingly good.

WWF Raw Is War
    Halo
    Munch's Oddesey
    Crash Bandicoot X
    Tony Hawks 2 X
    Metal Gear X

Don't say they ae going to go the N64 way and put an 'X' at the end of the title of games?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Don't say they ae going to go the N64 way and put an 'X' at the end of the title of games?

Strikes me that the X may be coming from X-Box on this occasion? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    X-BOX is already delayed a year wonder if its having all the windows problems!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Funny that... I predicted as much a couple of weeks ago. See :

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?threadid=4024

Well I actually predicted it as soon as I heard M$ were making a console ! But maybe the delay is good news as they are actually testing things before release for a change ? Did I really just mention M$ and testing in the same sentence ? I must be going mad !!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I mean, if they test it then we will become redundant. I thought that we were all here for testing MS (and other sw manufacturers') software?!? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Well I might actually get some of my projects completed on time as I won't have to spend 50% of the time working out ways round the 'features' in Micro$oft Software !
  • compunightmarecompunightmare Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday (on telextext) I read a news story stating that Sega are seriously considering pulling the plug on Dreamcast as they simply cannot compete with Playstation sales !!!.

Now then, what was being said about the Dreamcast being so good ?.
    Forum Member
    R.I.P. Dreamcast
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I believe the dreamcast is the best machine for gaming at the present moment, and very happy I brought into it.

I'm not bashing the PS2 either, it's just haven't got the games for it at the moment, so I'm going to wait until some decent games I want like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X comes out before I buy it, it should be cheaper then as well.

The problem Sega has always had with the dreamcast is that people have been waiting for the playstation 2. Sony hypes it up as a super machine when the dreamcast was released, while in reality they are very similar from what I've seen.

Dreamcast has the best gameplay at the moment, and with decent titles coming this year like, Shenmue 2, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Sonic 2, Crazy Taxi 2 there are plenty of future games still coming out for the system. Combine this with the excellent games already on the system I'm very happy with my investment. I challenege anyone to find a better racing game than Metropolis Street Racer!

So I think you'll find the dreamcast is far from RIP as there are many people like me who buy consoles for the gameplay not the hype.
    Forum Member
    Well it seems to me that the Sega have lost there faith in Dreamcast due to poor sales figures when they bundled a DVD player with it seemed like desperate measures if fact even sort of admitting that it should have had a dvd built in to it.
    As you said there's not many games for the PSX2 as yet but as it's backwards compatible with PSX1 games thats not a problem there are some good PSX2 games around ie SSX, Timespliters etc and when programers get to grips with it it'll rteally take off
    As for DVD playback problems I got a s-video lead and the dvd's play as well as my stand alone player and when you hook it up to a DTS or Dolby Digital it can really rip the sound tracks
    It's really quite sad to see the Dreamcast go out of production cause the more competition in the console market the better, and with the X-box being delayed (although Idon't have much faith in M$ they still can't sort Windows out)it looks like Sony can keep pulling there outrageous stunts like shortages making it a "can't get one need one" mentality. It seems theres plenty of PSX2 about now I've seen several shops with them on the shelf now.
    So come on Sega Nintendo and M$ give Sony a run for there money as this will only be of benifit to the consumer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I had a dreamcast and thought it was so crap I took it back within 2 hours of having it