[Request] Old Packard Bell Master CD

I'm looking for an old Packard Bell European Master CD and its associated boot floppy included with some models of Packard Bell computers (Legend, Axcel, Executive 8900 & 9500 series, Force, All-in-One Spectria) in 1995.

Pic of the CD :

SEQJNlZE.jpg

Or more precisely from the 486-DX2/DX4 and Pentium 60/75MHz era.

Motherboard : PB450, PB520
Hard disk : 340MB / 420MB / 528MB (maybe 800MB)
Memory : 4MB or 8MB
Video : Cirrus Logic 5428/5429/5434
Sound 16A

It's a red multilingual CD (English / French / German) bundled with following applications :

- Windows for Workgroups 3.11
- MS-DOS 6.22
- MS Works 3.x
- MS Money 3.x
- Sage Moneywise
- Disk Image
- PB Navigator 2.x
- MS Windows Entertainement Pack (Skifree, Rodent's Revenge..)
- 3D Body, 3D Dinosaur, Kid's Zoo, Undersea / Speed / Space Adventure (Knowledge Adventure)
- MegaRace
- Groliers Encylopedia
- Language Learning with Asterix
- Beethoven's 5th Symphony
- Leonardo the Inventor
- Early Jazz Legends
- Worls Atlas
- US Atlas

Thanks. :)

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I dunno how desperate you are for this but PCWorld are able to order/supply recovery media for various models of Packard Bell, Advent and Philips machines. That particular one is proper ancient though so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they no longer supply it.

If its just for nostalgia then you would almost certainly have more luck downloading the individual components. Note that none of that software is likely to run on a modern computer unless you setup a virtual machine or something.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some torrent sites used to list what you're asking for but the only one I can see at the moment (after a quick look) is in Italian/Dutch/French.

Just for nostalgia's sake http://postimg.org/image/z4rw5dl6x/
  • BroadwaterBroadwater Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    It's just for nostalgia. Reason being, my first computer had that CD, and I'm trying to collect one that is similar for testing purposes.

Some softwares, like PB OEM stuff, can not be downloaded individually.

@mac2708 : I saw this torrent but the CD isn't in my language and there's no seeder.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    I dunno how desperate you are for this but PCWorld are able to order/supply recovery media for various models of Packard Bell, Advent and Philips machines. That particular one is proper ancient though so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they no longer supply it.

If its just for nostalgia then you would almost certainly have more luck downloading the individual components. Note that none of that software is likely to run on a modern computer unless you setup a virtual machine or something.

They won't supply it, pre-XP recovery media wasn't available when I worked for DSG and that was about 8-9 years back. It's all down to what their licensing from MS will allow them to redistribute.
    Forum Member
    Anyone has that ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Have you had a look at http://vetusware.com/
    That has a lot of downloadable software form that era

I just used to love Microsoft works.
    Forum Member
    I just had a look at this site, but I have not found what I was looking for (softwares specifically installed on Packard Bell PCs).
    Forum Member
    Willing to pay £50.00 for it.
    Forum Member
    Someone here with an old PB Executive 9500 ?
  • squacksquack Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise that you are trying to find disks for a computer that is nearly 20 years old. Half (or maybe more) of the posters on DS weren't even born when that PC was built.

I'm also very skeptical that DOS & Win 3.11 was even distributed on CD I only ever saw it on floppy disk, I even received my first few copies of Win 95 on 3.5" floppies, all 18 of them :eek:.

I'm pretty sure that you are wasting your time here and need to discover some sort of historical group that has a website where you may be able to get anything from this far back in the past.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squack wrote: »
    You do realise that you are trying to find disks for a computer that is nearly 20 years old. Half (or maybe more) of the posters on DS weren't even born when that PC was built.

I'm also very skeptical that DOS & Win 3.11 was even distributed on CD I only ever saw it on floppy disk, I even received my first few copies of Win 95 on 3.5" floppies, all 18 of them :eek:.

I'm pretty sure that you are wasting your time here and need to discover some sort of historical group that has a website where you may be able to get anything from this far back in the past.

It came on a CD and floppy.
  • squacksquack Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    It came on a CD and floppy.

Thanks Neo,

It would have to be both CD and floppy though, PC's of that vintage didn't boot from CD and even up to Win98 (and I seem to remember early versions of Win2K) you had to boot into DOS from a floppy before you could use the CD drive to install Windows.

For Win 3.11 I would hazard a guess that you would need to install DOS 6 from the floppies making sure that MSCDEX was in autoexec.bat and you had suitable drivers for the CD-ROM (which were all different :cry:) in config.sys before you could even think of putting in a CD to install from.

That's why I was skeptical, CD-ROMs in those days weren't that easy to use.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Contact the winning bidder |***| on Ebay , looks like he bought it and other Packard Bell CD's a few weeks ago .
    Forum Member
    This is a Win 95 disc :rolleyes:
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my first install from CD of Windows 3.11 and was stunned how quick it was done compared to the 13(?) floppy disk install on my (at that time) state of the art 386 which cost more than the i7 system I use today.
    Forum Member
    Anyone ?
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may not be too much help for you but I bought a Packard Bell 486DX2 from Curry's in 1995 that came with the same CD, I no longer have the computer or CD but I do remeber having to create a set of backup floppy disks as soon as the machine was initialy switched on, it took approx. 20 disks so I'd question what actually is on that CD?
    Forum Member
    - Windows for Workgroups 3.11
    - MS-DOS 6.22
    - MS Works 3.x
    - MS Money 3.x
    - Sage Moneywise
    - Lotus Organizer
    - Disk Image
    - PB Navigator 2.x
    - MS Windows Entertainement Pack (Skifree, Rodent's Revenge..)
    - 3D Body, 3D Dinosaur, Kid's Zoo, Undersea / Speed / Space Adventure (Knowledge Adventure)
    - The Four Seasons of French Cuisine
    - Cyberia Mission Norway (Interplay)
    - Multimedia Maestro (Software Dynamics)
    - Learn French with Asterix (Eurotalk)
    - Beethoven's 5th Symphony
    - MS Encarta 95
    - MS Fine Artist
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Just for nostalgia's sake http://postimg.org/image/z4rw5dl6x/

OMG look at the prices of computers back then! How much would that computer cost now in 2013 money? :eek: I actually used to have a Packard Bell machine. It was one of my first computers. It was upgraded to Windows 95 though rather than 3.1. How did we ever manage with 4MB RAM and a 528MB hard drive? :D
    lettice wrote: »
    I just used to love Microsoft works.

The biggest oxymoron ever :D
    Forum Member
    Does your computer came with a Master CD ? Was it a UK model ?

I have a lot of ads like this one if you want.
    Forum Member
    Broadwater wrote: »
    Does your computer came with a Master CD ? Was it a UK model ?

I have a lot of ads like this one if you want.

I don't think it came with a Master CD as it was a hand-me-down from my aunt. We didn't have as much money at the time :( It was a UK model. I'd love to see more ads like that one :D
    Forum Member
    More ads of 486 Packard Bell are available here : http://dl.free.fr/kzki8Ppj5

Models :

Executive 8901, 8903, 8907, 8909T, 8910, 9501, 9502, 9506
    Legend Elite 105S, 102HW, 445G, 900
    CD33S & CD50D
    Forum Member
    ^ Thanks, I could do with some light entertainment :p I love reading old computer ads.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG look at the prices of computers back then! How much would that computer cost now in 2013 money?

What you want is an inflation calculator:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html ;)

Roughly, add a grand onto those 1995 prices to get today's price... My first pc, the Time horror, was about £1500 back then... ugh...
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    What you want is an inflation calculator:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html ;)

Roughly, add a grand onto those 1995 prices to get today's price... My first pc, the Time horror, was about £1500 back then... ugh...

Thanks for the link. I'll see what I can do. I'm absolutely hopeless when it comes to maths but I'll try and come up with something :D Time Computers were really crap, weren't they? Complaints about them and Tiny used to fill the pages of Computeractive.
This discussion has been closed.