SPICE GIRLS - Under rated

Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
Forum Member
✭✭
Just listening to Spice girls and my god what a nostalgia trip! Pure joy on film and vinyl!

Its stirs so many happy emotions in me!

Comments

• jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. I was obsessed with them from age 5-10 years old. My mum and Dad knew every song lyric and basically every line from the movie and it wasn't their choice to haha. I used to play them non stop. some songs I cant listen to anymore because it makes me really emotional. particially 'love thing' because that used to be my favourite song as a kid and if I listen to it now it makes me cry. :(
    but recently I was listening to 'do it' and I still love that song! wish they would reunite again for a tour and come to Scotland :D
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    underrated?... only by idiots!

i think that generally they get/got the recognition they deserved and their place in pop history is sound.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i think that generally they get/got the recognition they deserved and their place in pop history is sound.

I agree. I never was a fan of Spice Girl, bu even I am very well aware of their huge success - I mean, selling 46 million album copies with only 2 releases is just incredible.

So, i definitely think this thread is wrong because they certainly weren't underrated back then, and they aren't now - they will be remembered in the pop history without a doubt.

Maybe you should rename it as "Spice Girls nostalgia" as that is what OP was talking about in the first post.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

I agree. The Spice Girls were huge, so I do not understand how they are underrated. If any girl group is underrated, in my opinion, it is The Saturdays.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    underrated?!! um how exactly??
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    I think Viva Forever is underrated.... and that's about it.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The Spice Girls were huge, so I do not understand how they are underrated. If any girl group is underrated, in my opinion, it is The Saturdays.

Girls Aloud? They could of been very popular in the States?
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underrated, what?
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah....really...really underated.. who the heck is the spice girls?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living through Spice-mania from 96 to 98 was absolutely crazy.
    Their faces were everywhere....from deodorants to crisp packets!
  • _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Living through Spice-mania from 96 to 98 was absolutely crazy.
    Their faces were everywhere....from deodorants to crisp packets!

Very true I was around 13 - 15 during that time and remember every boy in high school had to say which Spice Girl he wanted to "get off with" some even said they'd have babys face and Gingers tits and Posh' legs lol

I said my fave was Victoria at that time lol
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jesus, can you ever not ruin threads with your insulting comments? Seriously, you are unbelievably arrogant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    Very true I was around 13 - 15 during that time and remember every boy in high school had to say which Spice Girl he wanted to "get off with" some even said they'd have babys face and Gingers tits and Posh' legs lol

I said my fave was Victoria at that time lol

I was around 11 at the time and everyone (male and female) in my class had their desks covered in spice girls stickers...it was considered the height of coolness:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listening to Spice girls and my god what a nostalgia trip! Pure joy on film and vinyl!

Its stirs so many happy emotions in me!

They were never underrated, from 1996-1999 they were absolutely everywhere, they were massive.

The girl group that got it all, fame fortune and power.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    It's interesting, personally I don't hear their songs much in the 90s flashback segments of radio shows but Wannabe seems to be on the music tv channels a lot.
    Considering how huge they were at the time I would expect to hear their music (other than wannabe) more often. I'm not complaining though as I wouldn't be a fan.
    It's just interesting as I would hear an array of Take That songs in day to day life but not Spice Girls. So while they weren't underated maybe the songs got lost in the hype
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting, personally I don't hear their songs much in the 90s flashback segments of radio shows but Wannabe seems to be on the music tv channels a lot.
    Considering how huge they were at the time I would expect to hear their music (other than wannabe) more often. I'm not complaining though as I wouldn't be a fan.
    It's just interesting as I would hear an array of Take That songs in day to day life but not Spice Girls. So while they weren't underated maybe the songs got lost in the hype

Spice Girl songs just haven't aged that well. I think that's part of the problem.

2 Become 1 is always played both on TV and on radio throughout December though.
    Forum Member
    from 1996-1999 they were absolutely everywhere, they were massive

Did the group actually do anything in 1999 other than those December gigs?

1999 was the year of Geri Halliwell the solo artist.
    Forum Member
    Spice Girl songs just haven't aged that well. I think that's part of the problem.

2 Become 1 is always played both on TV and on radio throughout December though.

Too Much & Goodbye get played a lot at Xmas aswell.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Jesus, can you ever not ruin threads with your insulting comments? Seriously, you are unbelievably arrogant.

one day, just one day, you might, just might, add something to the topic being discussed without recourse to throwing insults about at people. i note its not just me you have a go at, but recently 'unique' too. is that all you do? think its clever to take a pop at people who clearly have well rounded, intelligent opinions to try to make you look good?

my comment was a perfectly vallied one as only an idiot could think the spice girls are underrated. there acheivements are being well documented on several threads atm.

ruined a thread?.. just how did i do that? people are still posting, offering opinions on the subject to hand....all except you that is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes mushy. I'm sorry. You're not arrogant at all. Maybe one day, just one day you'll understand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    Too Much & Goodbye get played a lot at Xmas aswell.
    2 Become 1 always reminds me of Christmas.
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Im a 24 year old guy, Spice Girls isn't the type of Music I listen too but even I appreciate just how huge they were (I have a few cheeky songs of their's hiding away on my Ipod)

Also makes me fully appreciate just how much of a creative and marketing genius Simon Fuller is, he created the perfect campaign and the perfect girl band. I wish I could have been Spice Girls manager for just 1 year...Never would have had to work again :p

Helps that Mel C & Emma B were easy on the eyes too :D
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I think their ballads have aged better than a lot of their more upbeat songs. 'Viva Forever' is still a really nice song.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think their ballads have aged better than a lot of their more upbeat songs. 'Viva Forever' is still a really nice song.

I think Say You'll Be There still sounds as fresh today as it did then. I agree with songs like Wannabe and Spice Up Your Life though.

What a great time to grow up!! They were everywhere constantly, they even regularly made headline news on the News At Ten and were spoken about in Parliament. There really was no getting away from them.

I'm also glad they were out before the Internet was huge. Their sales are phenomenal and waiting on the fortnightly Smash Hits magazine to read the next interview/photo shoot with them was so exciting. Nowadays it would be an interview on Popjustice/DS with no anticipation or excitement beforehand. They made everything they did an identifiable event!!

My fave Spice moment - Ben Elton introducing them before their 1997 Brit Awards performance. It was an introduction of superstar proportions (considering they had only been around for 7 months) and you could feel the buzz in the auditorium. Then, 5 puffs of smoke and a Union flag dress later, there they were!!

http://vimeo.com/m/17399309
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, gonna have to agree with that.

Definitely not underrated and very influential girl group/gang.
    The girl next door telling you what she really, really wants...brilliant!
    (Dare I say iconic! Lol)

And my favourite was and still is Mel B, 'Scary' Spice...