PC Not Picking Up Monitor Signal

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This has happend in the past but just a little of late when i turn the pc on, the monitor signal is not being picked up. It does have power but it won't fire up with the main pc all the time when i turn the unit on. i have taken the connection out of the back and reconnected it again and itn then fires it up so i don't know why it won't come back on after turning it off from the previous night.

Any Ideas :confused:

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    PC Not Picking Up Monitor Signal
    This has happend in the past but just a little of late when i turn the pc on, the monitor signal is not being picked up. It does have power but it won't fire up with the main pc all the time when i turn the unit on.

Any Ideas :confused:

i'm not sure what you're saying. the pc is not meant to pick up the monitor, the monitor picks up the pc signal....

are you saying you turn on the computer and the monitor fires up but doesn't display anything???

checked all your cabling???
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pc fires up but the monitor doesn't come on and stays black even though there is power to it. the monitor is fine and not buggerd but it seems to come back right when i take the cable out of the tower unit and plug it back in again.

The video card seems ok and the fan is still working on it, unless i have got a dodgy cable i can't think of anything else.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    ok so the computer is not bringing the monitor out of standby.

i don't know how that works actually i don't know if there;s one pin that carries an rem type signal. or if the monitor just picks up the signal as a whole.

the cable would seem to be the obvious thing to check.
  • Funky_TomatoFunky_Tomato Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like a dodgy cable on the monitor to me. Is it a new type monitor where you can replace the lead or the old type where the lead is part of the monitor?

I had an old type monitor (still have it as an emergency backup) where the lead was kinked and the screen wouldn't display. It wasn't worth the cost of a repair so I made a 'loop' in the cable and taped around it with electrical tape as I noticed when I fiddled with the cable it in a certain part it would work. It still works to this day.
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    test pc with another monitor.

more importantly test the monitor on another pc as monitors are more simple. less factors.

and as said, monitors wait for signal. not the pc. pc will boot up fine without a monitor.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    test pc with another monitor.

more importantly test the monitor on another pc as monitors are more simple. less factors.

and as said, monitors wait for signal. not the pc. pc will boot up fine without a monitor.

The cable is on it's own and not connected to the moniter (not like the old crt monitors) i might have to buy a new cable if it continues.

the monitor is only about 2 or 3 years old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    If it's not a CRT monitor, then there's a much greater chance that the monitor is faulty. Further, the separate signal lead gives you twice the chance that the fault may be there.

I agree with the suggestions to try a different monitor (to assure yourself that the PC is working) and try the monitor on a different PC.

Derek