Sony Xperia U.....crap!

James30James30 Posts: 5,196
Forum Member
I've only had the Phone for a year and it's as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

It's been looked after, but when Sony insisted on an Ice Cream Sandwich update on the Sony Companion and made out that it'll be a new experience, it turned to crap.

There has been no help to sort out the mess that is ICS on certain Sony Phones which are there for all to see......they have been far too busy with the PS4 to care i expect.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Most of the keyboard doesn't work, very laggy, missed calls, unlocking the screen is a few swipes instead of one

Just some of the features of the crap Android experience.

Sod it, i'm off to iOS iPhone as my iPad works a treat.
  • Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get the Xperia™ Z or the Z1 in a few weeks mate the Jelly Bean is amazing on my Xperia™ Z but if I can sell it before the 20th I'm definitely upgrading to the Z1

I had the exact same problem when I updated my Xperia U to ICS which made it worthless.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the Xperia U and found the same with ICS.

I upgraded to the Xperia P and had much the same. I now have a Nexus 4.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Sirocco758 wrote: »
    Get the Xperia™ Z or the Z1 in a few weeks mate the Jelly Bean is amazing on my Xperia™ Z but if I can sell it before the 20th I'm definitely upgrading to the Z1

I had the exact same problem when I updated my Xperia U to ICS which made it worthless.

But what happens when Sony (eventually) update the Z to Kit Kat and it becomes slower and bug ridden. Have you any confidence they will sort it in a timely fashion or will it be forgotten about for months on end as had happened countless times in the past? Or even quietly left in that state like the Xperia U.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Sirocco758 wrote: »

So the OP is basically describing his bad experience with a Sony OS update and you advise him to spend £500 on their new model?? Right.....
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 Xperia S in this house and what a pile of shite they have been, they are terrible even though the screen is brill and the hardware is up to the task. Slow updates from Sony that always seem to introduce more problems that they fix have absolutely made owning this handset a forgettable Xperience™. One of the current bugs is genius, you select your paid for keyboard such as swype and the phone just resets it to the Xperia keyboard.

We bought them SIM free at a cost of £840 for the carphone warehouse and it is one of the biggest regrets of my time on this planet, out of frustration i bought a Nexus 4 and man alive what a difference.
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    2 Xperia S in this house and what a pile of shite they have been, they are terrible even though the screen is brill and the hardware is up to the task. Slow updates from Sony that always seem to introduce more problems that they fix have absolutely made owning this handset a forgettable Xperience™. One of the current bugs is genius, you select your paid for keyboard such as swype and the phone just resets it to the Xperia keyboard.

We bought them SIM free at a cost of £840 for the carphone warehouse and it is one of the biggest regrets of my time on this planet, out of frustration i bought a Nexus 4 and man alive what a difference.

The reason I posted what I did in the 'Best Smartphone at the moment' thread. :) People just seem completely blinded by specs and 'desirability' without paying any attention to what happens 12 months down the road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i have had the Nexus since March and it hasnt missed a beat where as the 2 Xperia S(hitters) are constantly needing to be rebooted, suffer screen redraws all the time as the RAM runs out and handset gets the lip out.

Seems to me all of Sonys phones are style over substance.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i have had the Nexus since March and it hasnt missed a beat where as the 2 Xperia S(hitters) are constantly needing to be rebooted, suffer screen redraws all the time as the RAM runs out and handset gets the lip out.

Seems to me all of Sonys phones are style over substance.

Or because the Nexus 4 has 2GB RAM and the Xperia S only has 1GB RAM. You really need 2GB RAM nowadays hence the top flagships from Sony, Samsung and HTC now have 2GB. It's more to do with the OS as Windows Phone's usually have only 512mb or 1GB, exception is the Lumnia 1020 but they all run pretty similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, The U, P and S were designed, etc under the Sony Ericsson name so Sony had to make these phones out of legal obligation, but afterwards, they were done with them and wanted to focus on the real first Sony Xperia phones.

I know that doesn't exactly help you, nor is it fair of Sony to do so, but its the truth. It was a bad year to buy. The Sony phones from 2013 onwards will be much better on updates, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or because the Nexus 4 has 2GB RAM and the Xperia S only has 1GB RAM. You really need 2GB RAM nowadays hence the top flagships from Sony, Samsung and HTC now have 2GB. It's more to do with the OS as Windows Phone's usually have only 512mb or 1GB, exception is the Lumnia 1020 but they all run pretty similar.

There are plenty of 1GB Jelly Bean devices that run just fine and do not exhibit the behaviour of the the Xperia S, the original Nexus 7 for instance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sony phones from 2013 onwards will be much better on updates, etc.

Not a cat in hells chance.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Yes, the Xperia U was also hamstrung by only having 512MB of RAM. I recently "broke" by yanking up the sim pins when a micro adapter got stuck... I'm not even bothered (it was to be my dad's spare phone). So my dad, sis and myself have all got Nexus 4s now and couldn't be better. Admittedly the camera on the N4 is a bit meh but everything else about it is superb.
    I haven't tried the Xperia Z but it looks like Sony have learnt somewhat from their mistake. I would say the the first gen Xperia (S, P, U etc) were a sort of beta test... maybe.

James, I think you're unfairly judging the Android experience based on Sony's poor implementation. I can assure you that many other manufacturers have managed to get it right (Samsung, HTC etc) and that Android is far more mature than it was even a year ago.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a Sony Xperia P and was less than impressed with Sony's support, so I've ditched it and got an HTC One - no way I'd buy Sony again.
    Forum Member
    To be fair, HTC don't exactly have the best rep for support/broken promises etc. and they aren't exactly thriving as a company right now.
    HTC still has something like $1.5B in cash, which should last them through the period of losses they are entering right now. But this is, most likely, HTC’s last chance. If Peter Chou is not able to turn his company around during the next product cycle, there will be no more HTC in 2015.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    It's sad but HTC have made a big mistake by not sticking to their supposed change of market plan. I remember not so long ago they claimed to be sticking to just a few model of phones and admittedly, they sort of have but if you look at their catalog including those Desire C/V/U/300 etc they've been steadily making a larger portfolio again which means more phones to individually update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a cat in hells chance.

And what would be your reason for stating that? Do you have a 2013 Sony Xperia phone?

Because I do, and i've received 2 updates since getting the phone in June, and Sony have said they are by-passing 4.2 and updating straight to 4.3 OS, which I think is pretty good.

The Xperia Z has already received 3 updates too and will be updated to 4.3 also.

The low end phones don't really get updates, but that can be said for most phone operators.

So so far, the 2013 phones have been better in the updating process, so I don't know where you are getting your information. Did you even read my whole post? I stated why the 2012 Sony Xperia phones were poor on updates and 2013 onwards would be better :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what would be your reason for stating that? Do you have a 2013 Sony Xperia phone?

Because I do, and i've received 2 updates since getting the phone in June, and Sony have said they are by-passing 4.2 and updating straight to 4.3 OS, which I think is pretty good.

The Xperia Z has already received 3 updates too and will be updated to 4.3 also.

The low end phones don't really get updates, but that can be said for most phone operators.

So so far, the 2013 phones have been better in the updating process, so I don't know where you are getting your information. Did you even read my whole post? I stated why the 2012 Sony Xperia phones were poor on updates and 2013 onwards would be better :rolleyes:

Think it is cute that you are simply dismissing everyone's views and past experiences in favour of your own and just ploughing on like you know best. The updates phones are getting are minor bug fixes to patch what Sony ballsed up on and not a major OS release.

The Xperia S was Sonys flagship model and its received many updates and fair play to Sony it is still getting them, trouble is they are all cobblers.

You do realise when SE went to just Sony they didnt sack everyone and start again dont you?