Should Madonna release a ballads only album?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 68,909
Forum Member
✭✭
There have been some beautiful Madonna ballads over the course of her career and I would like to see her put down her dancing shoes for while and release an album of slower more poignant songs.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like a sequel to Something to remember
    As much as i adore and worship her, i would like Madonna to lay off the dance pop for an album or two.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's already released Something To Remember but maybe she could update it with some more modern ballads although she doesn't do half as many ballads now as she did back in the day which is a great shame
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Madonna should do whatever suits her and she will, but yes, I would very much love her to release a ballads only album as I love her ballad voice it's so beautiful and emotive and SO under rated!

In fact I don't think i'd care much if she stopped making uptempo/dance stuff altogether!
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna should do whatever suits her and she will, but yes, I would very much love her to release a ballads only album as I love her ballad voice it's so beautiful and emotive and SO under rated!

In fact I don't think i'd care much if she stopped making uptempo/dance stuff altogether!

I feel the same. If she did ballads and mid tempos like Beautiful Killer/Love Spent then she would create an amazing album.Dance is in her blood so I doubt it will happen but one can dream
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    "You must love me" brings a lump to my throat every time
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 68,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'You'II See' ;The Power of Goodbye' 'Falling Free' and 'Masterpiece'

all beautiful songs.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love it! It's a shame she's pretty much abandoned ballads in recent years. My favourites are The Look of Love and You'll See.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that in the mid-90s she started acting her age, then since around 2000 she's gone back to mutton dressed as lamb. Why can't she do another "Frozen" or "You'll See"?
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    In a simple word...yes

Masterpiece showed me that she still has it in her to make ballads so I think this should be the route she goes down, with the next album at least. I would really like it if she went down the Live to Tell route again
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    something to remember part 2 would be great here's my fantasy tracklisting 1/don't cry for me argentina
    2/ drowned world
    3/power of goodbye
    4/ I deserve it
    5/gone
    6/time stood still
    7/ nothing fails
    8/easy ride
    9/ devil wouldn't regonise you
    10/ masterpiece
    11/ falling free
    12/hey you
    13/like an angel passing through my room
    14/ look of love
    maybe some remixes as well
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just thought of be careful with ricky martin that was a nice song.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on what you mean by ballads. I wouldn't like her to do anything too MOR or adult contemporary like it seemed like she was heading towards in the Something to Remember era. That to me is boring. But I wouldn't mind if she did some downtempo stuff but still with an electronic element. like sort of a trip hop sound, or a song like Frozen. I mentioned in the Madonna thread that it would be cool if she worked with James Blake who does a mix of electronica and soul which is kind of chilled out.
    As much as I love her ballads, personally I do get bored of albums that are all down tempo by other artists, so I wouldn't want an all ballads album. I would like more ballads than her last two albums but not all ballads. I think if for example if her album has 12 songs, a good number of ballads would be three or four ballads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    In a simple word...yes

Masterpiece showed me that she still has it in her to make ballads so I think this should be the route she goes down, with the next album at least. I would really like it if she went down the Live to Tell route again

Live to Tell is one of my favourite songs by her, but you have to remember it was on True Blue which wasn't an all ballads album. I think she it at her best when she mixes it up. some ballads, some mid tempos and some uptempo.
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if she did some downtempo stuff but still with an electronic element. like sort of a trip hop sound.

I thought at the time MDNA came out a more trip hop Lana Del Rey kind of style would be more interesting for her.

I do love her ballads and a Something to Remember 2 album would be good, but a whole new album I wouldn't think would seem very madonna. I find her ballads have such an impact because they show a side to her that isn't seen so often.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No more compilations!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought at the time MDNA came out a more trip hop Lana Del Rey kind of style would be more interesting for her.

I do love her ballads and a Something to Remember 2 album would be good, but a whole new album I wouldn't think would seem very madonna. I find her ballads have such an impact because they show a side to her that isn't seen so often.

Totally agree. I do think her ballads are greater because of the contrast with the rest of her music. On her last tour, Masterpiece and the slowed down LAV were great because they stood out from the rest of the tour which was uptempo choreographed stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    No more compilations!

Madonna actually has fewer compilations that a lot of other artists. The endless greatest hits albums are boring from a lot of artists, but it's not always the artist's decision to put them out. It's decided by the record company. There are lots of artists from the 80's who are no longer together or recording, who put out greatest hits albums seemingly every year just because they don't release new stuff and that's the only way for the label to make money off of them. Madonna only has 3 greatest hits albums, plus the ballads compilation. Many artists who have fewer hits than her have more than that.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Madonna actually has fewer compilations that a lot of other artists. The endless greatest hits albums are boring from a lot of artists, but it's not always the artist's decision to put them out. It's decided by the record company. There are lots of artists from the 80's who are no longer together or recording, who put out greatest hits albums seemingly every year just because they don't release new stuff and that's the only way for the label to make money off of them. Madonna only has 3 greatest hits albums, plus the ballads compilation. Many artists who have fewer hits than her have more than that.

I quite agree, I'd prefer a collection of new music though. Any fans will have older stuff, I'm just not a fan of repackaged stuff.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a rumour Warner were planning a new greatest hits collection for release this year but nothing has come of it.

Its defo time for Something To Remember 2. Bad Girl hasn't featured on any GH yet! the forgotten gem.
    Forum Member
    Its defo time for Something To Remember 2. Bad Girl hasn't featured on any GH yet! the forgotten gem.

Hear hear, Bad Girl is definitely one of her best and most poignant songs!

A collection of brand new ballads would be great though as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a rumour Warner were planning a new greatest hits collection for release this year but nothing has come of it.

I wouldn't think they would put out another one so soon. Celebration wasn't that long time ago. But I also think now with itunes and computers, compilations aren't as big as they used to be. Anyone can go and download their favourite songs by an artist and make their own personalized greatest hits album. Usually I only buy GH albums now if they have new tracks.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since something to remember, she could easily include the following

Masterpiece
    Miles Away
    You must love me
    Don't cry for me argentina
    Frozen
    The power of goodbye
    What it feels like for a girl

then easily add 4/5 new songs

Plus it was Something to remember that really helped Madonna get the public back on her side as Erotica "damaged her" and the biggest hit off Bedtime Stories was the ballad "Take a bow".
    Forum Member
    Since something to remember, she could easily include the following

Masterpiece
    Miles Away
    You must love me
    Don't cry for me argentina
    Frozen
    The power of goodbye
    What it feels like for a girl

then easily add 4/5 new songs

Plus it was Something to remember that really helped Madonna get the public back on her side as Erotica "damaged her" and the biggest hit off Bedtime Stories was the ballad "Take a bow".

I totally agree!

Old and new songs would be great, I would definitely include Masterpiece, it's easily the best song off MDNA imo.

Take A Bow did indeed help her repair the damage that Erotica did.

I do love Erotica though, one of my favourites of hers!
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I totally agree!

Old and new songs would be great, I would definitely include Masterpiece, it's easily the best song off MDNA imo.

Take A Bow did indeed help her repair the damage that Erotica did.

I do love Erotica though, one of my favourites of hers!

Speaking of Erotica, I also love Bad Girl, but also Rain, two of her best ballads.
    Forum Member
    Speaking of Erotica, I also love Bad Girl, but also Rain, two of her best ballads.

Rain is one of her most beautiful ballads vocally and one of her best!