Who is looking forward to the BBC1s adaptation of the novel "Call the Midwife"

Comments

• seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    There is a theory about twins involving left handed people:

10% of all people are left-handed
    10% of all pregnancies start out as twins (apparently)

So the theory wonders whether those who are left-handed were originally a twin. I don't agree with it myself but thought it was interesting enough to share.

That's interesting - I'm left-handed. My dad is too, but my mum, two brothers and sister are all right-handed. I don't think there's a single other lefthander in the family (including aunts, uncles cousins, nephews, nieces).
  • Ted2012Ted2012 Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone here missing this? :( I am glad a proper thread was created but I missed out on all the discussion!

The DVD is out tomorrow.
  • UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next series will have 8 episodes and there is talk of a Christmas episode in the works.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted2012 wrote: »
    Is anyone here missing this? :( I am glad a proper thread was created but I missed out on all the discussion!

The DVD is out tomorrow.

Me i am missing it alot hope HMV have in there store tomorrow or else i be peeved. Already onto the third book Fairwell to the eastend. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me i am missing it alot hope HMV have in there store tomorrow or else i be peeved. Already onto the third book Fairwell to the eastend. :)

Hope you can get it :) I am on the final book ('In The Midst Of Life'). Brilliant books.

Good news on a Christmas special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you can get it :) I am on the final book ('In The Midst Of Life'). Brilliant books.

Good news on a Christmas special.

I have that one as well. They really are very good books i cannot remember that last time i was so hooked on a book. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have that one as well. They really are very good books i cannot remember that last time i was so hooked on a book. :)

Me neither! I bought 'Call The Midwife' midway as the series was airing, I read that in about a week, then the next two books within days! I loved them. It's taking me a little slower reading 'In The Midst Of Life' for some reason, it's still good but as the trilogy of 'CTM' ended with book 3, I'm not rushing. I'm still halfway through it though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither! I bought 'Call The Midwife' midway as the series was airing, I read that in about a week, then the next two books within days! I loved them. It's taking me a little slower reading 'In The Midst Of Life' for some reason, it's still good but as the trilogy of 'CTM' ended with book 3, I'm not rushing. I'm still halfway through it though :)

Some of the stories are mind boggling i was always imagining the UK in the fifties like somthing out of the British movies of the time. Reality is an eye opening experience and i thought things were bad here in Ireland in the fifties.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoping my DVD arrives soon :D
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Excellent! I hope Chummy is in it.

Hmmm..One particular birth...Did Chummy marry at the end of the last series, I can't remember!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm..One particular birth...Did Chummy marry at the end of the last series, I can't remember!

Yep. Her mum wanted her to have a posh wedding. She wanted to wear Crimplene... and told her mother she was no longer entitled to a white wedding :D:o :cool:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. Her mum wanted her to have a posh wedding. She wanted to wear Crimplene... and told her mother she was no longer entitled to a white wedding :D:o :cool:

Ah yes....How could I forget!
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Picked up Jennifer worths orginal book the otrher week from a Boot sale for 50p, , this incidentley is the Same book that is now 7.99 in waterstones ,

Anyway loved all the stories of the East End in the 50s most of which are probably to ot for Ds ;) esp the ping pong ball one :eek:

Think there is a rerun starting next Thursday on BBC1
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Picked up Jennifer worths orginal book the otrher week from a Boot sale for 50p, , this incidentley is the Same book that is now 7.99 in waterstones ,

Anyway loved all the stories of the East End in the 50s most of which are probably to ot for Ds ;) esp the ping pong ball one :eek:

Think there is a rerun starting next Thursday on BBC1

It started this Thursday Robb.
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Read the trilogy of books a few of years ago and loved them. They were full of social history and totally enthralling.
    I was a little apprehensive of the tv adaptation but I have to say really enjoyed it!! Bring on series two.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the rerun? Think they screened 3 episodes then it disappeared
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    What happened to the rerun? Think they screened 3 episodes then it disappeared
    I'm sure it'll resume at some point. They're always interrupting and/or moving the New Tricks repeats, too.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love CTM and just recently read all the books and purchased series 1. I am looking forward to the Christmas special. Do we know if it will air on Christmas eve/day?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love CTM and just recently read all the books and purchased series 1. I am looking forward to the Christmas special. Do we know if it will air on Christmas eve/day?

Me to the books were really good. Can't wait for the christmas speacial. Did they ever discover what became of the real Chummy?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me to the books were really good. Can't wait for the christmas speacial. Did they ever discover what became of the real Chummy?:)

I want to know this too! I just searched online but nothing :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to know this too! I just searched online but nothing :(

I remember in the Radio Times they were trying to find out this but i do not think they followed it up i would love to know what happened and what she really look like.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone has access to the 'Weekend' magazine of today's Daily Mail there are several pages devoted to the making of CTM, the characters, the actors, Jennifer Worth's involvement, the screenwriter etc. Full of interesting details, including the enigma that was the 'real' Chummy (i.e. some doubt as to whether the character really existed or was more invention - although they speak of Jennifer Worth showing them a photo of a midwife with a 'mannish' face which is supposedly the inspiration for Chummy - the photo can no longer be found, though).

I'm not sure if there's a link to an online version of the article - I'll have a look and post it if I can find one.

ETA - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2219708/The-moving-story-Call-The-Midwife--brought-life-screen-original-author-Jennifer-Worth-s-health-began-fail--told-touching-new-book-shows-writer.html