Irish police drama Single Handed will be returning to ITV

EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some of you may remember the three part series whch aired in August on ITV1 and centred around Sergeant Jack Driscoll as he worked alone in the wilds of Connemara in the west of Ireland.The show received excellent reviews in the British press for it's gritty realism and unsentimental approach to policing in a rural area as well as for it's stunning scenery and cinematography.

Well,the good news is a new series has been commisioned and this time it will be an RTE-ITV co-production.Filming will start shortly and this time there will be six episodes.We'll have to wait until early next year for it to hit the screens,but it should be well worth the wait.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Good news. :)
    I think this show has potenrial to run for a few series.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news. :)
    I think this show has potenrial to run for a few series.

Very pleased to see it return myself :) When they showed the three standalone episodes from RTE on consecutive weeks on ITV,I thought it had real potential as a drama series.Hopefully the level of scriptwriting and production are just as high for this run.As you say,this could run for several series like many a good police drama.
  • dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant. My favourite drama series of last year.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that the dodgy ex-copper father character was killed off early, he was a good foil for his idealistic son.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I missed this and have been hoping it will re-appear on one of the ITV channels soon. It hasn't been repeated since has it???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that the dodgy ex-copper father character was killed off early, he was a good foil for his idealistic son.

Yes,the relationship between them was one of the most interesting parts of the series.The father had his own way of doing things,which occasionally involved dodgy practises and breaking the law,leading to tension between him and his "self righteous" son,as he called him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    I missed this and have been hoping it will re-appear on one of the ITV channels soon. It hasn't been repeated since has it???

Hasn't been repeated so far,but I imagine the first three episodes will be shown again as a preamble to the new six part series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some further updates : filming has now started on the second series of Single Handed and will continue for the next 12 weeks.

www.atvnewsnetwork.co.uk/today/index.php/atv-today/2727-filming-begins-on-new-series-of-single-handed

We're getting several new characters,including one played by Simone Lahbib,who will be familiar to many of you as the female DI in several series of Wire In The Blood.I like the sound of the new bar owner,a shady ex-policeman who is up to no good and doing his best to undermine Sergeant Jack.
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, I really enjoyed the last series.

Anyone know if they were ever released on DVD?
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, MovieMail have a "Single Handed" listed as a forthcoming release in July comprising 3 discs and running for 300 minutes, dating from 2007 - but listed as a film!

Perhaps it's about to be released on DVD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, MovieMail have a "Single Handed" listed as a forthcoming release in July comprising 3 discs and running for 300 minutes, dating from 2007 - but listed as a film!

Perhaps it's about to be released on DVD?

That sounds like it Wombat : there is no movie that runs for five hours! They've probably mislabelled it :)

Hopefully the first series gets a repeat too on ITV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick message to say that Series 1 of Single Handed is being repeated on ITV3, starting with the first episode which will be shown at 10pm tonight.

Probably being shown as a taster for the new series which is coming soon to ITV1.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Interesting news. I live in the west of Ireland and have been to Connemara a lot. Hopefully I actually get to see them filming this show :) I think mum watched Series 1 when it was first shown. Looking forward to seeing the new series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    When is the new series starting?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on RTE ages ago....no idea when it'll be on ITV. Strange to have such a gap.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it the first time round, but you could work out who was the "dead baby" in the first programme, as soon as you knew there was one, because an earlier scene rather gave the game away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    When is the new series starting?

It was due to air in April but ITV delayed it for some reason : the fact that it is being repeated on ITV3 suggests it will be starting soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it the first time round, but you could work out who was the "dead baby" in the first programme, as soon as you knew there was one, because an earlier scene rather gave the game away.

It was a great opening episode though : very dark and brooding :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »

I saw a bit of this on itv3 so they've got the early episodes already. It was on from 10pm last night.
    and probably the entire two first series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a bit of this on itv3 so they've got the early episodes already. It was on from 10pm last night.
    and probably the entire two first series.

The one you saw last night was the very first episode :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The one you saw last night was the very first episode :)

Thanks foer that, but I didn't get to see more than about 45 minutes in the middle. Looks good.Must be the first Irish produced series bought up by a UK channel. Can't recall any others recently. BBC N. Ireland have coproduced a fair number of dramas with RTE, but it's rare for mainland British channels.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    When's the next one on ITV3, don't know where you'd go after the first one with all the secrets and lies revealed.
    Does the half Sister turn up again btw?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a broadcast date at last : series 2 of Single Handed starts on Thursday, July 14 at 9pm on ITV1 and runs for six episodes.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geogchick wrote: »
    It was on RTE ages ago....no idea when it'll be on ITV. Strange to have such a gap.

Liked the first series, so looking forward to this...I wish we could get RTE here in the uk i really miss Fair city..:o.....runs and hides...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madj40 wrote: »
    Liked the first series, so looking forward to this...I wish we could get RTE here in the uk i really miss Fair city..:o.....runs and hides...:D

It's well worth the wait : the second series takes a while to get going, but quickly gathers pace and finishes with two strong episodes :)