Matt Smith is leaving as the Doctor?

TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,922
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here is the link to the article in The Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4854006/matt-smith-set-to-leave-doctor-who-at-christmas.html

Is this paper trustworthy? Is Matt Smith really leaving?

Comments

• nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4854006/matt-smith-set-to-leave-doctor-who-at-christmas.html

That report was a month ago and was discussed on here at that time.

Firstly; no, that paper is not trustworthy and I would hesitate from calling it a newspaper.

Secondly; I do suspect they have fallen onto the truth this time though.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything you read in the sun is true especially the football gossip section:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We won't know anything for sure until Matt/BBC announce it officially. The papers have speculated about his departure already several times in the past and so far they have been wrong.

But the little bits that we know about the S7 finale seem to point to the fact that 11's story wil be told by the end of the 50th, but who knows what goes on in Moffat's/Matt's head.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    If they keep posting a new story about Matt leaving every six months, then eventually, yes, it will be true.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if he did leave at christmas or early in S8 we have known the "fall" of the 11th has been coming since TWORS. He arrived at christmas/new year so it would be nice to go full circle and leave at the same time. Just as long as they give him a good send off and pick a good actor to take over as the 12th.
  • PaulieboyPaulieboy Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Everything you read in the sun is true especially the football gossip section:D

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I can't confirm Matt is leaving as the Doctor, I can confirm:
    He ISN'T leaving as the Master.

Or the Rani.

:)
    Forum Member
    And he definitely ISN'T leaving
    on the bus
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is leaving
    on a jet plane, but does know when he'll be back again....once he's finished with his movie in America
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just the Sun speculating on a 50:50 possibility. It was well-documented that Matt Smith originally signed a three-year contract which must be due for renewal about now. The Sun's "insight" is basically the same trick played by "psychic" charlatans such as Sally Morgan; presenting bleeding obvious information in a way that seems impressive to the credulous.

It's really a no-lose story for the Sun. If Smith leaves, the "source" was correct and morons will be wowed by the display of insider knowledge. If Smith stays, the Sun can run an outraged story about how the BBC offered him a substantial pay rise. The "big number" will enrage morons who think all BBC staff should be paid the same rate as car park attendants.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's true.

I don't mind Matt's Doctor, but the end of 11 means new story with the 12th. I've seriously had enough of the story from series 5 to now.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »

Ask Liverpool FC fans that question.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If Matt doesn't leave during Christmas 2013, I say he will be off at the end of Series 8 though.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, as much as I love MS I think bowing out in the 50th or the Christmas Special would be a very dignified exit and a great entrance for 12! I remain convinced that he will be going this year and I hope its something they can keep as speculation right up to the regeneration!
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't happen. Too soon for Matt Smith to regenerate. Maybe series 8,but certainly can't see him regenerating this series.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see one full series of him with Jenna because they're great on screen together and obviously get on really well. So I hope he at least does part of series 8.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Matt is the best Doctor since Tom Baker (imo) I think it's only right that he does a full seven year stint just like Tom Baker.
    Forum Member
    As Matt is the best Doctor since Tom Baker (imo) I think it's only right that he does a full seven year stint just like Tom Baker.

Realistically I don't see any actor surpassing Baker's record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Realistically I don't see any actor surpassing Baker's record.

I think Matt Smith might. He's young.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    An American asks if The Sun is a reputable newspaper. It is owned by the same bloke as Fox News. Hope that helps.
    Forum Member
    I think Matt Smith might. He's young.

He won't.

He has ambitions for Hollywood and four series is a good run for any actor playing the Doctor to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He won't.

He has ambitions for Hollywood and four series is a good run for any actor playing the Doctor to be honest.

He has his whole life ahead of him for Hollywood,though, so it's plausible that he might continue in the role of the Doctor for 8 years then decide to quit.
    Forum Member
    He has his whole life ahead of him for Hollywood,though, so it's plausible that he might continue in the role of the Doctor for 8 years then decide to quit.

Won't happen DB.

And like I said, four series as the Doctor is a good run for any actor and the show thrives on change.

I do feel we are nearing towards the end of Smith/Moffat era to be honest. I can't see either of them being on the show after Series 8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do feel we are nearing towards the end of Smith/Moffat era to be honest. I can't see either of them being on the show after Series 8.

Steven Moffat I can't see staying on beyond series 8, but Matt Smith I can.
    Forum Member
    I can see it going either way - I'd like to see Smith stay for 8 and beyond, but I can also understand and accept him wanting to move on. He's done three series over four years, can't really complain about that.