Changing music tastes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
Forum Member
I don't want to this to turn into a artisit specific bashing post please as I'm genuinely intetested in opinion on the issue I'm asking about.

I just wondered do you notice your musical taste or appreciation changing as you get older but in short periods. I ask as I was a massive Lady Gaga fan ... proper super monster back in 2009 but I noticed in the past 6-12 months I had almost moved on.

I was a proper OTT Gaga fan posting stuff on facebook, buying anything and everything to do with her, I listened to her music daily etc

I think failing to get tickets to her tour in September was the final nail in the coffin in fact since early 2012 Lana Del Rey as almost taken over from her.

I've just been listening to Gaga again over the weekend and reading a book about her but I stilk don't feel the excitement I used to. I turned 30 in 2012 so is this a sign of me getting old (er)!!? LOL

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    :confused:
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all kinds of music as for Lady GaGa some of her new stuff is crap imo so I haven't listened to her for while now.

Are you getting old at 30? Well they say 50 is the new 40 so no you are not ... its not time for the botox yet! ;)
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The turning point for me was when I was about 16 and I bought my first Joni Mitchell album. My tastes completely changed at that point and has never been the same since. The only two artists from my childhood that I still listen to are Kylie Minogue and Madonna (pre Hard Candy anyway), everything else from back then I either gave away or boxed up and stored somewhere.

It's natural for tastes to evolve and change. I remember being really excited about certain artists in the past only for that excitement to diminish pretty quickly and never be the same again. I was a massive fan of Macy Gray in 1999 but my interest had waned by the following year. Jewel is another example of an artist I was a big fan of but whose career I haven't followed for over a decade now. I sometimes see certain albums or artists as fleeting friends, they're perfect for the time but you eventually move on. It happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

I think I was wondering about this as my friend who is older (early 50s) well his taste is quite varied ... it's a proper heavy metal fan (always buys/sees all these scandanavian bands I've never heard of) but he's also bought everything Kylie has ever done and has been to every single tour she's done in the UK (think he owns everything Erasure has done too) ... so - eventhough he doesn't like Lady Gaga - he was quite encouraging me to buy/see everything she has done as I started out as he thought I could do the same with her as he's done with Kylie. But like I say I've lost the excitement now.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    When I was a kid I LOVED pop music and the Spice Girls, that changed as I got older, went onto metal, rock, indie then onto rap, r&b and hip-hop before deciding to love all kinds of music. :D
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never used to pay all that much attention to soul oriented music. Then almost five years ago I finally got into who is now my most favorite singer, James Otto that is. The only downside to my situation is the fact that it took me six years to start running in his direction. :(:(:(

God bless you and James always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. I'm not complaining though because I know now who I was missing out on for all of them years. :):):)
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    For me, my tastes have certainly widened over the years and I definitely entertain more genres of music nowadays than I ever have before, but I think the process has been quite slow. Sometimes an act will change style too quickly for me, and lose me as a result.

Mariah Carey is a good example. I loved her first few albums, then everything became vocal theatrics and collaborations with rappers and I hated it. She's never done anything other than that since and so I've never gone back to buying her albums.

Rihanna is a more recent example and, as far as I am concerned, she has sunk further and further into the unlistenable with every album. I used to think she was great and now I can barely stand her. Until she puts some effort into producing a great pop album again, I am likely to remain uninterested in her.

It's not that I am against change, but an artist who changes from one style I like to another I don't is bound to lose me as a fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any form of music is good to the listener it will have an effect in that it changes the mood or enhances the mood at that time.I do not think it matters what kind of music as you can't decide to like a certain style or artist just as you can't decide to like chocolate or a person of the opposite sex as it something out of any one person's control. Growing up will bring new things and music is a part of growing up but music enters your very being and lies there untill you realise you like it or don't. It is quite funny how a song you loved ten years ago is often a thing that you may hate today, not always, but that is often the way life is. Music is powerfull if made well and devides just as it unites too.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i was little, haha i liked Duran Duran. Now i'm into rock and metal, such as Deftones.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    There is already a thread on this topic here

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1779199