Arrow worth getting into?

justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone got any thoughts on the Sky1/CW show Arrow? If i understand correctly its sort of a spin off from Smallville? It's a sort of baddie of the weak kind of story like Smallville was in the early days or more like Vampire Diaires with a bigger story arc?

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justjax wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Sky1/CW show Arrow? If i understand correctly its sort of a spin off from Smallville? It's a sort of baddie of the weak kind of story like Smallville was in the early days or more like Vampire Diaires with a bigger story arc?

It's nothing to do with Smallville apart from the fact that both are based on DC Comic Characters.

A version of Green Arrow did appear in Smallville but he's nothing to do with this Series.

While there is a Villain of the week there is also an on going storyline.

Two Threads on the show (UK and US Pace) are in the Cult Forum.
  • justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Corwin, kind of want to avoid thread not to read any spoilers. Are you watching it? It's doing well in the ratings but I'm wondering whether its just the core DC/comic fans tuning in? Or has it turned into an interesting show where you keen to watch the next episode?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I never watch shows form the CW cos I am out of their target demo, but I h gave this a shot and have to say that I am really enjoying it.

I never followed Smallville - just watched random episodes form season 1 (I was within WBs demo target 11 years ago LOL) and if you want a comparison, Arrow feels much more developed than what Smallville was at the start.

At the mo the series plays out two parallel major stories each week - one set in present day and involving the villain of the week (tagged to the greater storyline), and then, perhaps most intersting at the mo, the "flashback" story which explains the origins of the main character.

Id recommend you give the show a try.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I am hooked on the show. It is the only current US show along with The Big Bang Theory that I am watching and am obsessed with. You don't need to know anything about the comics, I didn't.
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in a similar situation except I haven't finished Smallville yet, just finished S8 thanks to SyFy and I know CH4 is repeating S9 at the moment but didn't realise at the time and have missed half of it.

I have all of the S1 eps of Arrow so far aired on Sky recorded but not sure if I want to watch whist leaving Smallville unfinished, yes I know that they are two completely different interpretations of the same character/universe but still I'm sure it will drive me crazy comparing the two whist leaving one unfinished.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Arrow is well worth getting in to. It's all going rather well so far, with lots of potential to get even better. It's currently the only show I look forward to each week.
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    If the ratings hold up, a second season will get ordered. Maybe that will help your decision.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Practically guaranteed a second season, thought it's disappointing to see that it's already below 3m (which is fine for the CW, but still :( to see).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really worried about the ratings. It's solid so will defiantly be renewed. I just want to get a feel for whether its a good show or whether the ratings reflect the comic fan base? I enjoyed the Vampire Diaries, but it was about 5-6 in before I got hooked into it. Just don't want to waste several hours watching if they consensus is its so so and doesn't really go anywhere if that makes sense?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it's one of the best shows on at the moment (admittedly a fairly dry time). I don't read comics. The writing and characters are above average compared with, say, The Cape (and it's much less cheesy than that show).

It's still too early to say where it's going, but there's a lot of intriguing background. Questions raised by the early episodes are gradually getting filled in, and I now have confidence that the writers know what they are doing. There is generally a baddy of the week, but the background arc has more prominence than many other shows. (I didn't watch Smallville or Vampire Diaries so can't compare.) It didn't take me long to get into.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    It's really good but it took me a while to get into it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its quite cheesy at times but I still enjoy it, worth sticking with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all for the feedback, sounds like its worth checking out.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's ridiculous, but well paced enough to be entertaining.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rate this show 5/10. Its ok but it's no smallville
  • Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to watch the first episode. Found it pretty formulaic and dull very typical of US teen/young adult oriented shows, ie Smallville, Revenge, Vampire Diaries type fodder.

I guess Im outside the demograpic, but if that sort of thing is your cup of tea probably does the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Tried to watch the first episode. Found it pretty formulaic and dull very typical of US teen/young adult oriented shows, ie Smallville, Revenge, Vampire Diaries type fodder.

I guess Im outside the demograpic, but if that sort of thing is your cup of tea probably does the job.
    Well to be honest I kinda lost interest in Smallville the 2nd season and never jumped back in but actually love Vampire Diaries and Revenge (which I wouldn't consider teen orientated not like the CW shows). Anyway, I watched the first episode. Didn't overly grab me but willing to give the 2nd episode a shot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I like it, although for some reason my enthusiasm for it seems to have been on the wane since the Christmas break, the last few episodes haven't particularly gripped me. I think it could probably have been better if they'd made it a "13 episodes per season" show rather than the typical US network TV 22 episodes, as i can see the "Bad Guy of the Week" formula getting boring. Still, i'm glad to see a genre show doing well in the ratings, so i'm sticking with it. If someone asked me if they should give it a shot i'd still probably say yes.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the sort of thing I'm usually hugely into but I've given it a try and I've enjoyed it so far.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'd watch it if I could.....but I've only got Freeview! Sod you Sky!!
    Anyway - the Green Arrow to me is Justin Hartley!!:D
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If WB did this to the Batman mythos their would be riots. I don't understand why they've took DCs fantastic Green Arrow and turned him into the Hood with no real connection to the comics.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly isn't Smallville mark II, it's a lot darker and grittier as they have embraced the fact that arrows are sharp and sharp things can really hurt (the Wolverine problem).

It's not outstanding, the acting can sometimes be a little wooden, but it's action packed and it's certainly watchable. Whilst I have certainly given up on many such shows in the past (like Heroes, Alphas, Flashforward, The Magic Circle, Smallville and the like) I still have this one on Series link.

I do wonder about it's longevity however. Firstly a portion of each episode is given over to flashbacks and if these flashbacks ever ran out I'm not sure if it's plot could stretch over the whole episode. Alternatively they could stretch these flashbacks out to silly lengths so that his missing years are shown in real time. :p

Secondly it's all about him "making a difference" and if we had three or four series with no difference actually being made I feel I'll give it up as a lost cause. :yawn:

PS - I'm probably not it's target demographic, being a 40+ male.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    I don't understand why they've took DCs fantastic Green Arrow and turned him into the Hood with no real connection to the comics.
    Possibly because a man in tights and a little Robin Hood hat firing arrows with boxing gloves on the end comes across as a little silly when put on the screen. :D
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Possibly because a man in tights and a little Robin Hood hat firing arrows with boxing gloves on the end comes across as a little silly when put on the screen. :D

LOL, very true:D
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justjax wrote: »
    No. It's not worth the time.