Any Abbott and Costello fans on here

quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
Forum Member
I love those guys and own most of their films on DVD.Some of them are just watchable and amusing but there's some real quality films of theirs IMO.

Meet Frankenstein
Meet The Invisible Man
Meet the Killer
Who Done It
Hold That Ghost
and the very underrated Time Of Their Lives are fantastic.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG! the last time I saw them I was a kid, i remember them being funny, on another note my mate round the corner sits with his 4 yr old grandaughter and watches 'Oliver & Hardy'
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a long time since I've even thought of them. Thank you for reminding me about a great comedy duo. Their films were on the tv quite a lot at one time. I always enjoyed them. Also, thank you for the recommendations, I'll have a look on amazon for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Who's on first!

loved em as a kid especially when Lou used t get scared and could not get his words out.

Who ever tought the Who's on first gag was a genius.

I think i saw a drama doc before and Lou was not that happy in real life I think one of his kids drowned in a swimming pool.

Also I don't think Bud and Lou got on all thqt well in the end.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sasquehanna Hat company!!

As well as "Who's on First" the dice/cards Club house sketch was good too.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    streetwise wrote: »
    It's a long time since I've even thought of them. Thank you for reminding me about a great comedy duo. Their films were on the tv quite a lot at one time. I always enjoyed them. Also, thank you for the recommendations, I'll have a look on amazon for them.

And Hit the Ice.How could I forget that.Another classic.
    I23 wrote: »
    Who's on first!

loved em as a kid especially when Lou used t get scared and could not get his words out.

Who ever tought the Who's on first gag was a genius.

I think i saw a drama doc before and Lou was not that happy in real life I think one of his kids drowned in a swimming pool.

Also I don't think Bud and Lou got on all thqt well in the end.

Yeah apparently Bud hired a servant that Lou had just fired and it didn't go down too well.But I think the partnership was just becoming strained when their movies started to go downhill,this was partly to do with Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis arriving on the scene.And yes Lou did tragically lose his one year old from drowning.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a fan. I found a batch old film 'reviews' I'd written as a teenager the other day, and it seems even back then their noisome double and treble cross-talk routines were too lowbrow for my patience.

Having said that, I have a higher tolerance threshold for the horror/sci-fi/'fantastique' tie-in entries, probably purely for the extra star power brought to them. However funny A&C Meet Frankenstein is or isn't, it's curiosity/nostalgia value cannot be denied. :)
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbot and costello meet frankenstein and meet the invisible man are my favourites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buck Privates was one of their best back in 1941 when it was released over here, a morale booster in those dark days.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sasquehanna Hat company!!
    Ha! Yes, I'd forgotten about that - loved the films when I was a kid but I saw one recently and I'm not sure if they've stood the test of time.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,182
    Forum Member
    I have most of their films and also the TV shows. I'd say my favourite A and C film is Who Done It? closely followed by Hit The Ice and Here Come The Co-Eds
    Limburger Cheese scene from Who Done It?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cm-blfss64
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,182
    Forum Member
    And Hit the Ice.How could I forget that.Another classic.

Yeah apparently Bud hired a servant that Lou had just fired and it didn't go down too well.But I think the partnership was just becoming strained when their movies started to go downhill,this was partly to do with Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis arriving on the scene.And yes Lou did tragically lose his one year old from drowning.

also Lou insisted on being paid more than Bud