Why wasn't Something New one of the biggest songs of the year?

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a Girls Aloud fan so maybe i'm biased but i know pop music and that song is stellar 10/10 i'd give it. Ridiculously catchy and so Girls Aloud.

Girls Aloud are a massively successful pop group.
22 singles - all 22 went in the Top 11 in the UK
7 albums - all 5 studio albums went platinum or double platinum
4 Number 1 singles and 2 Number 1 albums
A million selling greatest hits record
Six successful arena tours - over 1 million tour tickets sold
An autobiography, ridiculous amounts of lucurative endorsements, all five members launched solo careers
Brit award winner for Best single - 5 nominations including 3 for Best Group
Total record sales of 9 million
In terms of single sales the biggest selling girl group of the 21st century

But why did Ten and Something New only sell 150,000 each...that record was amazing!:D Did you buy it? it was even for children in need so why...i know as The Saturdays have shown girl bands got it tougher than boy bands despite how amazing you are....but still!?

Their arena tour for their reunion sold 20 dates - including 3 nights at the O2 so they are very liked...Beautiful wasn't a proper single but had a video and only peaked at No.97 despite being quite amazing.

I am biased but seriously, the UK has had an amazing run of pop groups - but seriously this group was special - just an amazing group that was so successful and remained relevant and popular for a ten year span, a real achievement. Go go go girls aloud.

Comments

• spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. It's baffling. They're definitely one of my favourite pop groups ever. Their songs are fantastic and so distinctive. Catchy, quirky, offbeat, very unique in their structure. Of course we have Xenomania to thank for that. I think they definitely kept all their best material for Girls Aloud. But the group members themselves were all so likeable, and all very popular individually.

I think maybe they just left it too long before they returned. In the fickle world of pop if you disappear for too long a lot of people move onto other bands/singers and couldn't be bothered with GA anymore. Which is such a shame, if so. Really, why did they have to leave it so damn long? They said they were taking just a one year break and they take three! That spelt the end for them really. Once they started (or at least Cheryl) started tasting solo success I bet it was hard to return to being just one of five again.

I'm really going to miss not hearing any new music from them. Aside from Nicola's brilliant solo album I haven't really been a huge fan of anything the other girls have done solo, very much. I'm curious to hear Sarah's debut solo but really, nothing can be as good as when they were all together, singing amazing songs like Biology, Untouchable, Love Machine, The Show, Something Kinda Oooh and countless more!
  • anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    On The Metro would have been a better choice AND a great way for them to end it
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't think the single was as good as their previous lead singles, but i do like it and i did buy it. "beautiful" was good too, but again nothing amazing. the whole reunion was promoted as a gift to the fans and it didn't really feel like a proper reformation. their were a good girl group with loads of catchy hit singles, but you have to keep delivering goods in pop music and they suffered due to their extended break.

the second greatest hits probably under performed due to the first one selling so well, so they were a victim of their own success there really.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it was a pretty average song?
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact they did one performance of it before essentially splitting up again before the tour probably didn't help
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple. It was very average and their original fans have mostly ( except the op) moved on, grown up, had kids, stopped buying music etc. Why can you not understand that?
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately they left it far too long to reunite, the public had moved on, add to that the ridiculous second greatest hits when they could have quite easily bowed out with a new studio album, plus picking the worst two tracks out of four new songs to release as singles probably didn't help.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still cannot get over how amazing this song is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sugababes must of sold moe than Girls Aloud as they were huge sellers and worldwide sellers to.

But in reality, people just didn't really care for their comeback which was proven when their final single peaked at #97
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think Girls Aloud left it too long to make a comeback. If they had made a comeback in late 2009 or 2010 (or even 2011) they might have done well. A lot of their fans have probably moved on or are more interested in the girls' solo projects. They really should have released a new studio album rather than just a greatest hits with 4 new songs. I will admit though that they had one of the longest careers of any reality TV show act and brought out some great pop songs.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I agree with what others have said - they left it too long. I loved that totally OTT press conference they put together to announce their reunion. Do they think they are the Spice Girls or something?? :D

In all honestly though I loved GA, and Something New sits along with some of their best stuff. It should have done much better. I know it made #2 but it fell like a brick out of the charts. :( The last 40 seconds are just amazing.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why did Ten and Something New only sell 150,000 each...that record was amazing!:D Did you buy it? it was even for children in need so why...

I love GA's music and even though I listen to Something New regularly, I just don't think it was as good as some of their previous ones. That's just how I feel about it.

I was listening to one of the NOW albums the other day, Now 80-something which Something New was on. On the CD it follows The Saturday's 'What About Us'. Whilst I'm not a massive fan of that Saturday's song, when you listen to the two songs back to back, I really thought Something New sounded a bit dated personally. I love the 'Go-Girls' Nadine/Cheryl part and I like the chorus and the ending, but personally I think the verses are absolute crap.

I also think the team behind GA perhaps overestimated their popularity. That press conference seemed OTT to me simply because they had only been away for a couple of years and the reunion was always on the cards.

re: Beautiful - I just think the band gave up when the reception wasn't great. I know it's subjective, but I really dislike that song, I think it's one of their worst songs. That opening verse is bloody terrible and the video wasn't that good either.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think Something New was really boring, and too generic. Didn't stand out from all the other songs on the radio. Could've been a Nicki Minaj or Chris Brown song. Didn't really scream "Girls Aloud are back", it screamed "Ke$ha's new single". It wasn't unique enough to attract attention.

People thought it would be a big hit because it's really loud. That's the only reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole Ten reunion era was a mess really. They really should have made On The Metro and Every Now and Then as their final two singles. These two were far superior in quality than Something New and that awful song that I refuse to name now. The track listing for Ten was just really repeating what their first Greatest Hits album had, only with four new songs. For many people who bought that album won't see the point in buying Ten. It was only two albums between the two greatest hits.

As for Something New, it is a decent song but it didn't strike me as their previous lead singles such as Something Kinda Ooooh and Sexy! No! No! No! It's a good and catchy dance song but nowhere near as great as their early works. Competing against Olly Murs' Troublemaker didn't help either. Plus, like some of you said, they would have been more successful at the reunion era if it was a year earlier.

Cheryl was just getting started with A Million Lights and had to end that era prematurely because of the reunion. She even wanted to tour in mainland Europe, but that had to be scrapped also. I thought that album had so much potential to do extremely well and even finally break into the international markets. Call My Name peaked in the Top 20 and was certified Gold in New Zealand and even charted in some European countries. Personally, I would have rather seen Cheryl releasing two more singles from A Million Lights than the reunion at that point. 2011 would have been exciting for the reunion, but by 2012, people moved on. Nicola was doing well with her fashion line and her solo music (what happened to Styled To Rock? Did it get renewed or canceled?) and the other girls were going forward with their own stuff as well. Practically, Ten bought nice sentiments, but seemed a bit too late.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    re: Beautiful - I just think the band gave up when the reception wasn't great. I know it's subjective, but I really dislike that song, I think it's one of their worst songs. That opening verse is bloody terrible and the video wasn't that good either.

I like Girls Aloud but I think Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me is the worst song they've ever done. It's even worse than their cover of See The Day. It's a drippy ballad which does not suit GA at all. Who thought it was a good idea to let them record and release it?
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    I still cannot get over how amazing this song is.

I've never got what the first part of the song was all about (the, well, shouty bits).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Girls Aloud but I think Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me is the worst song they've ever done. It's even worse than their cover of See The Day. It's a drippy ballad which does not suit GA at all. Who thought it was a good idea to let them record and release it?

I agree. See The Day is probably my second worst single from GA. I thought that would have been the single to end GA's Top 10 streak, so they were extremely lucky. Untouchable was more deserving to be in the Top 10 that See The Day. The only ballad single release I liked from them was Whole Lotta History. I thought it was a sweet song and fit them well when it came to their ballad stuff. It's no wonder why Polydor and GA were always at each others necks when it came to single releasing decisions.