Options

Smooth Christmas

jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
Forum Member
Used to listen to Smooth Christmas each and every year before Global took over, I'm afraid the station has been ruined by long voiceovers, lots of adverts and news on the hour (Which isn't needed on a Christmas station) enough to automatically take you from a festive mood to the doom and gloom of the hourly news.

The Christmas music on rotation is enough to slit your wrists and the whole station is utterly depressing, annoying and cheap sounding. A great idea spoilt by the repetitive, dull and boring Global group.

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great idea spoiled by Global? Never...

I tried if earlier. Stuff I'd never heard of. Depressing feel to it. That lousy Smooth woman with the horrid voice. Enough said.
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Who on earth thought about putting hourly news on a Christmas station? Do they understand what Christmas is all about?

Yes I agree the female voiceover is absolutely terrible and so is the cheap sounding Smooth bed under the voiceover sounds horrid.
    I just cannot get along with any of the Global music stations apart from Chill and the talk station LBC. I just don't know what it is with the rest of them but I find them all utterly unlistenable. Without doubt the best music station on DAB is Heat.
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would sound a bit better if they had some voicetracked presenters on there instead of just the music on rotation.....I wonder if they will nearer Christmas as if I remember right they did before?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usual, the moaners are out in force on Facebook. Last year Smooth were evil scrooges who ruined Christmas by not doing Smooth Xmas, this year it's all "OMG it's far to early for xmas songs!!!! i'm changin to radio 2" .
  • Options
    sparknetsparknet Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    in my opinian smooth xmas shouldnt of launched till 1st dec. bit early 4 xmas music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    I think it would sound a bit better if they had some voicetracked presenters on there instead of just the music on rotation.....I wonder if they will nearer Christmas as if I remember right they did before?

I suppose the difference is Global's idea of a 'fun' Christmas station compared to GMG's :(
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    sparknet wrote: »
    in my opinian smooth xmas shouldnt of launched till 1st dec. bit early 4 xmas music.

Totally agree. Its absolutely ridiculous this year. Christmas movie channels and music channels have already launched . its too early! I agree that December 1st is the date to start any Christmas related stuff.
  • Options
    Vince800Vince800 Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like people on the Facebook page are complaining about Smooth Christmas because they do not realise that the main station still exists on other Muxes. Looks like they were tuned to the national DAB version. You really would think that common sense would prevail but there you go.
  • Options
    martino2539martino2539 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Oh just enjoy the music and shut up seriously.....global haters, now getting picked on because they re launched a radio station that so many of you missed last year!!! They cant do right.

Also, smooth Xmas isn't on a temp licence just for this period. They are using the existing smooth national licence on dab and have just changed had permission for a format change during Xmas. Because of this they will have to put news on the hour as per licence agreement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh just enjoy the music and shut up seriously.....global haters, now getting picked on because they re launched a radio station that so many of you missed last year!!! They cant do right.

Also, smooth Xmas isn't on a temp licence just for this period. They are using the existing smooth national licence on dab and have just changed had permission for a format change during Xmas. Because of this they will have to put news on the hour as per licence agreement.

Completely agree with you.

I enjoy Smooth Christmas for what it is, just to dip in and out maybe play a bit in the office at work nearer Christmas.

The Facebook comments are comical though, some people genuinely seem to think that Smooth radio is just wall to wall Christmas music from now when all it takes is 2 seconds of research to find out that's not the case. It's stupid the amount of hand holding which goes on these days to help people achieve simple things.

On the other side of it, perhaps the station should play a message occasionally for a few days along the lines of "This is Smooth Christmas, you can still listen to Smooth Radio through....." just to cater for the utterly lazy and stupid people who can't put 2 and 2 together before they post straight on social media about Smooth.

I don't particularly mind the news being on there, it's quite useful if I just want a quick update (Global's news updates seem to be extremely brief anyway) without having to change to another station to find out.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people moan. Listen to heart and other they banging on about Christmas, should that be banned talking about it until 1st Dec:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vince and occy, its nice people agree. These that complain don't understand licence agreements. Don't global understand what Xmas is about somebody wrote .um yes I think they do hence why they playing Xmas music....jackpot jackpot needs to understand how licensing works and global has no option but to put the news on....
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vince800 wrote: »

The Facebook comments are comical though, some people genuinely seem to think that Smooth radio is just wall to wall Christmas music from now when all it takes is 2 seconds of research to find out that's not the case. It's stupid the amount of hand holding which goes on these days to help people achieve simple things.

On the other side of it, perhaps the station should play a message occasionally for a few days along the lines of "This is Smooth Christmas, you can still listen to Smooth Radio through....." just to cater for the utterly lazy and stupid people who can't put 2 and 2 together.

Ok, so my wife has Smooth Radio on all the time in the kitchen, doesn't pay much attention to the limited speech, it's just background music whilst cooking ec. Yesterday she proclaims to me that "Smooth are now playing nothing but awful Christmas music". I then break the bad news to her.

Is she lazy or stupid then? Or just an average listener that has had her favourite station snatched away and replaced by (far to early) "festive" garbage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have had a count down on smooth for the last 4 days saying Xmas smooth is coming, also nearly every other link Kate what ever her name is was mentioning it. So hardly snatched.
  • Options
    Yagi BareYagi Bare Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Looks like people on the Facebook page are complaining about Smooth Christmas because they do not realise that the main station still exists on other Muxes. Looks like they were tuned to the national DAB version. You really would think that common sense would prevail but there you go.

Except...it isn't available on my local MUX. So no Smooth on DAB, presumably until the new extra station is launched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram - I wouldn't say she is, no. That's not what I'm getting at. It's people who run straight to Facebook and spend more time complaining about the issue than perhaps simply Googling it or going to the Smooth website.

Yagi Bare - That's also fine. I really was referring to some of the crap posted on Facebook, perhaps I should have made it clearer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have had a count down on smooth for the last 4 days saying Xmas smooth is coming, also nearly every other link Kate what ever her name is was mentioning it. So hardly snatched.

As I say, it is just background music, she doesn't pay much attention to the links etc as I suspect is the case with the average listener.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram - I wouldn't say she is, no. That's not what I'm getting at. It's people who run straight to Facebook and spend more time complaining about the issue than perhaps simply Googling it or going to the Smooth website.

Sadly, that's the world we live in now, people are living their entire lives on social media. If there was one thing that I could uninvent......:D
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Ok, so my wife has Smooth Radio on all the time in the kitchen, doesn't pay much attention to the limited speech, it's just background music whilst cooking ec. Yesterday she proclaims to me that "Smooth are now playing nothing but awful Christmas music". I then break the bad news to her.
    Yesterday I had a similar situation with my mother.
    It appears average Smooth listeners who are tuned to the national dab version probably aren't aware of what is happening and just assume Smooth have gone OTT with xmas music very early.

They could lose quite a number of listeners, as the radios don't even have to be re-tuned.

Some form of low bitrate speech on Smooth UK ident advising listeners to either re-tune to their local Smooth (where available) or Smooth Xmas if they wish, would be much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiogram good point...dont think they mentioned it on Facebook like they could have done....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Sadly, that's the world we live in now, people are living their entire lives on social media. If there was one thing that I could uninvent......:D

It's just like they hear or see one thing and it's "OH THIS IS AGAINST MY HUMAN RIGHTS. FACEBOOK..." In the process making themselves look totally stupid, it would literally take these people seconds to figure out what's going on if they just looked it up before they post it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do agree thou that smooth should have stayed on national dab and the regional smooth changed to smooth Xmas and smooth extra...makes more sense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree thou that smooth should have stayed on national dab and the regional smooth changed to smooth Xmas and smooth extra...makes more sense

I think that the whole idea of Smooth was that is was never going to be a national station after Global took it over and Smooth national was going to have to go anyway (though some of us thought that Gold might have chance of taking its slot). Whatever happened the national slot was going to be changed into something else, Christmas or otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just like they hear or see one thing and it's "OH THIS IS AGAINST MY HUMAN RIGHTS. FACEBOOK..." In the process making themselves look totally stupid, it would literally take these people seconds to figure out what's going on if they just looked it up before they post it.

Smooth Radio in its current state is against anyone's human rights, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's right, remember reading all that.