Options

Diet Coke

confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies if this has been done before.......
anyone else notice how quickly diet coke goes flat if you pour it into a glass? it seems to have happened more in the last year as i don't remember it happening before and it was my coke of choice.
i'm much preferring Pepsi these days and i never thought i'd say that:)

Comments

• Options
    NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, used to love it until tonight. I read about aspartame and it's dangers and history, and it really is dangerous. It's a neurotoxin, causes brain cancer, brain tumours etc. I'll opt for normal Pepsi or Coke if I'm having a spirit like vodka, Malibu or rum next time.. or just orange juice :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,926
    Forum Member
    NewExample wrote: »
    Gosh, used to love it until tonight. I read about aspartame and it's dangers and history, and it really is dangerous. It's a neurotoxin, causes brain cancer, brain tumours etc. I'll opt for normal Pepsi or Coke if I'm having a spirit like vodka, Malibu or rum next time.. or just orange juice :D

Most of the stuff you read about aspartame was rubbish, made up by cranks. It is regulated for public consumption by nearly every food agency in the world.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be the most tested thing in world history of food I still haven't seen anything that scares me into not consuming it. Nothing scientific seems to say it is bad and some of the crack pot stories are just laughable.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studies funded by the industry says its fine, studys by people with no vested interest come back its bad.

All i know is

1) it tastes VILE
    2) Its the most controversial food/drink additive
    3)My eyes use to get blood shot almost every week, when i stopped consuming diet coke and switched to normal it seems to have stopped
    4) Somebody who i use to work with had a brain tumor removed 2 years ago, heavy diet coke drinker
    5) in its early days it was rejected every time on safety grounds, only when the creators close friend got to be president did it get approved by the FSA, and because the FSA approved it Europe approved it without rigorous testing (and even our FSA has guidlines on not consuming to much of it)
    6) BBC 'The truth about low fat diets' showed those who drank diet/sugar free compared to normal real versions ate more because the body was missing the satisfied feeling, so not really going to help with weightloss if your going to just eat more.

http://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/additivesbranch/55174#.URfGuqXonzI

Read the UK's FSA stance on it, they seem to have an open mind by closely watching studys into its safety....
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,926
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    Studies funded by the industry says its fine, studys by people with no vested interest come back its bad.

All i know is

1) it tastes VILE
    3)My eyes use to get blood shot almost every week, when i stopped consuming diet coke and switched to normal it seems to have stopped
    4) Somebody who i use to work with had a brain tumor removed 2 years ago, heavy diet coke drinker
    5) in its early days it was rejected every time on safety grounds, only when the creators close friend got to be president did it get approved by the FSA, and because the FSA approved it Europe approved it without rigorous testing (and even our FSA has guidlines on not consuming to much of it)
    6) BBC 'The truth about low fat diets' showed those who drank diet/sugar free compared to normal real versions ate more because the body was missing the satisfied feeling, so not really going to help with weightloss if your going to just eat more.

Read the UK's FSA stance on it, they seem to have an open mind by closely watching studys into its safety....

All the studies are done by nutjobs with an agenda. I still haven't seen anything that makes me worry about it.
  • Options
    crystalfissurecrystalfissure Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I would rather die of thirst than let even one drop of Diet Coke enter my mouth! :mad:
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Most of the stuff you read about aspartame was rubbish, made up by cranks. It is regulated for public consumption by nearly every food agency in the world.

Some Doctors are worried about it. Unfortunately the vile stuff makes money. It is best avoided.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For the love of god.

There is no scientific evidence to substantiate any of that.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    confuddled wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been done before.......
    anyone else notice how quickly diet coke goes flat if you pour it into a glass? it seems to have happened more in the last year as i don't remember it happening before and it was my coke of choice.
    i'm much preferring Pepsi these days and i never thought i'd say that:)

Yes! I was saying the same thing the other day to one of my colleagues who is also an avid Diet Coke drinker. For some reason it does seem to go flat more quickly in the last year when you've poured it into a glass.

When they're on offer I've been trying to buy the 1.5 or 1.25 litre bottles or cans because I find whatever is left inside a 2 litre bottle has gone entirely flat after you've opened it within a day. I really don't like it when it's flat.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    For the love of god.

There is no scientific evidence to substantiate any of that.

Well there is, but a person needs to drink around 12 litres of Diet products in one session to get seriously ill. Not many would drink or eat that much in one go.

However, it does show that excess is dangerous and not free from risk. It also makes people think about time and how much damage is done to the body over time.

What about people who are ill? Diabetics tend to eat more products with it in. Both the FDA and European Food Safety Authority say it is safe. However both say it is dangerous to those with Phenylketonuria.

We still don't know why there is growing sensitivity to the product and what the other factors might be that bring out such sensitivities.

We don't know what other factors are at play. We don't know what else people are eating.

It is all a bit mad with the reasoning when you read more as sociology comes into play. The culture of Risk and Fear.

I feel there is some very strange ideologies behind it and some very powerful people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there is, but a person needs to drink around 12 litres of Diet products in one session to get seriously ill. Not many would drink or eat that much in one go.

However, it does show that excess is dangerous and not free from risk. It also makes people think about time and how much damage is done to the body over time.

What about people who are ill? Diabetics tend to eat more products with it in. Both the FDA and European Food Safety Authority say it is safe. However both say it is dangerous to those with Phenylketonuria. So I think I'm safe.

We still don't know why there is growing sensitivity to the product and what the other factors might be that bring out such sensitivities.

We don't know what other factors are at play. We don't know what else people are eating.

It is all a bit mad with the reasoning when you read more as sociology comes into play. The culture of Risk and Fear.

I feel there is some very strange ideologies behind it and some very powerful people.

Just about anything in massive quantities is going to give you problems. I'm diabetic, but I don't consume anywhere near 12 litres of diet products. Phenylketonuria is a rare genetic disorder, which I don't suffer from, fortunately.

The strangest thing for me surrounding the aspartame paranoia is how stubbornly anti-science it is. I could post here quotes from the American Cancer Society reaffirming its position that aspartame is safe for general consumption, along with one from European Food Safety Authority, and they would be immediately dismissed and chalked up as being part of some massive, global conspiracy. I wonder if those same people ever ask who's behind the demonization of aspartame? I reckon the higher ups in the corn growing industry are getting a bit antsy with the increasing rejection of high fructose corn syrup. Or maybe the sugar beet growing people have seen a dip in their profits.

Not that I do conspiracy theories.

ETA: Sorry, OP for going off topic.

I drink my DC straight from the can and can't say I've noticed anything different.
  • Options
    Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather die of thirst than let even one drop of Diet Coke enter my mouth! :mad:

I agree. Or any other drink with any type of artificial sweetener in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All i know is

1) it tastes VILE

Even if there was only ONE point (No. 1) I would have to fully agree. VILE!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Or any other drink with any type of artificial sweetener in it.

Reminds me of that famous quote from Patrick Henry. "Give me sugar, or give me death!"

Wait, that's not quite right...

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All i know is

1) it tastes VILE

That just means they happened to drink a lot of diet coke... SO MANY PEOPLE are heavy drinkers of the stuff!
  • Options
    NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All i know is

1) it tastes VILE

I 100% agree on this, even though other FMs are adamant it's fine, after my sister being a drinker of Diet Coke regularly and nearly dying of AVM and having two seizures, not being able to drive, brain surgery, with all the worry etc; I think I shall stay away from it from now on thank you very much. Agenda has a lot to do with testing, but anything artificial, is exactly that, it's manipulating natural substances and isn't healthy. And it does, tastes ****ing gross, like the Saccharin taste, yuk. And apologies to OP for change of subject :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I 100% agree on this, even though other FMs are adamant it's fine, after my sister being a drinker of Diet Coke regularly and nearly dying of AVM and having two seizures, not being able to drive, brain surgery, with all the worry etc; I think I shall stay away from it from now on thank you very much. Agenda has a lot to do with testing, but anything artificial, is exactly that, it's manipulating natural substances and isn't healthy. And it does, tastes ****ing gross, like the Saccharin taste, yuk. And apologies to OP for change of subject :)

Drink whatever you like, seriously, but why did you say you used to love it, when now you're saying it's ****ing gross? And I'm very sorry about your sister. Does she have phenylketonuria?

I believe I'm safe drinking it because it has been rigorously tested around the world, across multiple agencies over the past 40 years. What agenda does, say, the American Cancer Society have, that would make them hide the dangers of aspartame? And just because something is not "natural" does not make it automatically unsafe. Conversely, there are plenty of things occurring in nature that would kill you quickly if you consumed them. You wouldn't go for a walk in the woods and pick up one of these and eat it, would you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone interested, this is a good read: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/

This bit jumped out at me:
    People who are absolutely convinced they get adverse effects from aspartame have been proven wrong. For instance, the New England Journal of Medicine published a study of people who reported having headaches repeatedly after consuming aspartame. When they knew what they were consuming, 100% of them had headaches. In a double blind crossover trial, when they didn’t know what they were getting, 35% had headaches after aspartame, and 45% had headaches after placebo.

Sounds like Betty Martini and “Nancy Markle” with her internet hoax have a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is my point. There is nothing worse than the foul after taste that Saccharin leaves in your mouth. Yuk!:(