Options

The Wombles Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well everyone else seems to be getting one.......

Comments

• Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banana Rock.......Rocked.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The Wombles of Wimbledon Common? I've loved them since I was a kid (as I lived about half an hour away from Wimbledon) but I must admit I never really heard any of their songs :o Must youtube them sometime.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the theme tune to The Wombles? The last line runs, "Things that the everyday folks leave behind." For some reason, I used to think they were singing, "Thinks of being everyday. Box leave behind"! Yes, I know it makes absolutely no sense-but for some reason, that's what it sounded to me like.

I can't help but wonder about the national origins of the Wombles. Names like Bulgaria or Tomsk seem to suggest an Eastern European extraction-but then you had Wellington, with a solid English name, and Orinico, who shared a name with a South American river!:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I always thought the Wombles were common - 'the wombles of Wimbledon, common are we'. :o
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't help but wonder about the national origins of the Wombles. Names like Bulgaria or Tomsk seem to suggest an Eastern European extraction-but then you had Wellington, with a solid English name, and Orinico, who shared a name with a South American river!:confused:

Oh, and of course, there was Madame Cholet, the tealady/housekeeper, who clearly had bereted, neckerchiefed, frog-and-snail-eating onion sellers, with long, thin, curvy moustaches in her ancestry. Most confusing.

Actually, thinking about it, it's surprising that she and Wellington got along...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »
    I always thought the Wombles were common - 'the wombles of Wimbledon, common are we'. :o

Haha I think that was just reference to where they lived!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remeber Your A Womble!

Thought I better put a song title in before this thread got shifted to the tv forum!

The original wombles could beat the crap out of the outdated ones! Bernard Cribbins rocks!
  • Options
    sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, in the original books it explained that the Wombles all chose their names out of Great Uncle Bulgaria's Atlas, some taking care to choose their names, and some just closing their eyes and pointing.

Even though I was born in the late 80's I grew up with Wombles repeats on Channel 4, and then heard the music afterwards, but I always wanted to go to Wimbledon Common to try and find the Wombles home and meet them all. Sadly never happened though!
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serious rockers.

Shame abput the drugs and prostitution scandals though......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sjames wrote: »
    Even though I was born in the late 80's I grew up with Wombles repeats on Channel 4, and then heard the music afterwards, but I always wanted to go to Wimbledon Common to try and find the Wombles home and meet them all. Sadly never happened though!

As I used to live near Wimbledon I went there fairly often and I could never see them :(
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the studio albums are up with the recent compilations on Deezer. Mike Batt was pretty good at pastiching pretty much every music style out there at the time.

got Keep On Wombling streaming at the mo - side 1 was basically a concept album for kids.
  • Options
    Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    My Sisters had a Wombles LP when they were little and it got passed on to my kids. My youngest Daughter loved singing along and dancing to it, especially Wombes On Parade.
    Lets not forget the seasonal Wombling Merry Christmas too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Batt is on today's Art of Artists on Radio 2..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ttvh6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a shameless example of BBC cross-promotion they were the interval act at the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRN6P8OJ58