Mrs Brown's Boys S3 Discussion

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think Susie Blake can play the bitch better than Sorcha Cusack and Mrs. Nicholson is meant to be an unlikeable character (off the top of my head, the only unlikeable character in the series) that Mrs. Brown continually cuts down to size.

I loved tonight's episode - the phone, with Agnes toying with the cameraman, the blind draughtsman, the snow comment and the farting bra were excellent and it relied a lot more on observational comedy/witty lines rather than slapstick. Great episode. :DI'm a fan of Miranda and I think that had it's strongest episode of the series tonight as well...strange how they hit their stride at the same time.

The actor who plays Rory, [who's also BOC's agent, said this series would better than either of it's previous ones, and this is being borne out so far. Pity about the second xmas episode but I don't expect much from those anyway. It's the series episodes that bring home the bacon, so to speak.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor who plays Rory, [who's also BOC's agent, said this series would better than either of it's previous ones, and this is being borne out so far. Pity about the second xmas episode but I don't expect much from those anyway. It's the series episodes that bring home the bacon, so to speak.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens re. a fourth series. I imagine the fact that TV ratings have gone through the roof in the UK means that all bets are off and the BBC are telling Brendan they want more of the same.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC told John Cleese the same and he refused and we are all left wondering what might have been, maybe one more series and then have a break.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The BBC told John Cleese the same and he refused and we are all left wondering what might have been, maybe one more series and then have a break.

I would definitely go with another series next year, as the momentum is there for it. There is always the danger of overkill of course, and I'm sure Brendan is fully aware of it, but there is no sign the show has peaked or is past it's sell by date.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I got the live show 'Good Mourning Mrs Brown' on DVD for Christmas and I was so excited that I was saving it for a time when I could really relax and get into it - put it on this afternoon only to find it's just the same as the series, same jokes, same scenes etc, I was absolutely gutted.

Looked online and every single review was the same, most said they walked out at the interval because they'd seen it all before and knew the gags before they were said. Apparently they weren't told it wasn't new material and some were rather peeved at forking out for the tickets when they'd already got the DVD.

I'm quite disappointed if I'm honest, I didn't think it was going to be pretty much exactly the same, with same script and everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I got the live show 'Good Mourning Mrs Brown' on DVD for Christmas and I was so excited that I was saving it for a time when I could really relax and get into it - put it on this afternoon only to find it's just the same as the series, same jokes, same scenes etc, I was absolutely gutted.

Looked online and every single review was the same, most said they walked out at the interval because they'd seen it all before and knew the gags before they were said. Apparently they weren't told it wasn't new material and some were rather peeved at forking out for the tickets when they'd already got the DVD.

I'm quite disappointed if I'm honest, I didn't think it was going to be pretty much exactly the same, with same script and everything.

For anyone who is a fan of the TV show, I'd advise them to steer well clear of any DVDs of the stage show. There is tons of this stuff on Youtube and I've never watched any of it.

The stage show has been around for many years in different guises, but the TV show is the much more polished version.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not happy with s3.

definately nowhere near as funny as the first two.

the boxing day ep was imho the weakest to date, bad advert for a much better programme
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »

On the back of the DVD it clearly say, "see Mrs Browns TV show as you've never seen it before-all your favorite bits, but ruder and much more outrageous".
    It's not perfect, it may have been made before the show became well known as it is in a small Dublin theatre but it's still funny.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    On the back of the DVD it clearly say, "see Mrs Browns TV show as you've never seen it before-all your favorite bits, but ruder and much more outrageous".
    It's not perfect, it may have been made before the show became well known as it is in a small Dublin theatre but it's still funny.

I am aware of that, so obviously I was expecting 'ruder and much more outrageous' footage, like it says. But it was pretty much exactly the same. I was saying the lines out loud before they were said on the DVD.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first Mrs Brown I saw I thought was very funny and very different. However, each one I've seen since then I am less and less impressed and actually quite bored. I don't find it funny at all now and all her swearing is really boring and not funny.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I would definitely go with another series next year, as the momentum is there for it. There is always the danger of overkill of course, and I'm sure Brendan is fully aware of it, but there is no sign the show has peaked or is past it's sell by date.

I think specials are probably more likely than a series, Only Fools and Horses went on for many more years with just the specials and it didn't hurt its popularity, would like to see Mrs Brown and family do a special outside the house and Folly's even it's just set in somewhere like Glasgow,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon - Winnie's daughter - is played by his sister in law (she's Cathy Brown's sister in real life)

There's more nepotism going on here than in the mafia, lol
  • GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Betty got a proper scene. :cool:
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    So far this weeks been a lot funnier than last weeks :D

One arm bandit...going for the jackpot....ohh Mrs Brown :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betty got a proper scene. :cool:

She looks pretty good this series too :)
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,963
    Forum Member
    Oh God the old simpsons gag...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Oh God the old simpsons gag...

Though Brendan freely admits to recycling old gags and even references to where some of them have come from.
  • GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    She looks pretty good this series too :)

And seems a bit more comfortable in front of camera now too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And seems a bit more comfortable in front of camera now too.

Yes, most of these people had very little acting experience prior to MBB and absolutely no experience of television.....it's only natural that they would start to grow into the role a bit.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol at the end... didn't see it coming.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    lol at the end... didn't see it coming.. :D

She was quite lecherous at the end....."Get up them stairs!" :D
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Tonights was much better and a lot funnier than some of the other episodes......and I love Mrs Brown :D
  • Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Just brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!! :D:D
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funniest episode so far for me. This series has been on top form. :D
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perfect! Absolutly Perfect! Quite possibly the best ever episode of MBB! Had me laughing from start to finish and my face still hurts from laughing now! Was a little worried this series wasn't up to the standards of the first two but tonights has put it right back on track! The foreskin wallet joke had me crying with laughter, and the ending was fantastic as well! I think Miranda had it's best ever episode tonight as well so it was truly a top notch hour of TV!