Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album)

1868788899092»

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with Gaga is that she tries so hard to be ground breaking and different but everyone else is doing it better. Katy, Rihanna, Beyoncé. Even Lana's videos are way better than Gaga's.

Annie Lennox really got visuals and music right during the 90s. That was ARTPOP. Gaga looks so trashy in comparison.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opinions are never wrong.

-

Venus is the only thing that can save the era, IMO. It sounds most like the RedOne TF singles.

What - "Rocket number 9 take off to the planet" "take me to your leader" "garden panties" - that big mainstream radio + club hit?

RedOne production is well and good but the words do count for SOMETHING if the song has words in it. (i.e. not something like Route 94 My Love)
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care if the album flopped. I really like it. It's her best since the Fame/Fame monster era. None of the pretentious nonsense that bogged down Born this way.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What - "Rocket number 9 take off to the planet" "take me to your leader" "garden panties" - that big mainstream radio + club hit?

RedOne production is well and good but the words do count for SOMETHING if the song has words in it. (i.e. not something like Route 94 My Love)

She produced Venus herself. It's a bonkers, mental, messy track but it's undeniably Gaga. That's the LG the world fell for. I think the big, ABBA-esque chorus would have even Benny and Bjorn's toes tapping.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She produced Venus herself. It's a bonkers, mental, messy track but it's undeniably Gaga. That's the LG the world fell for. I think the big, ABBA-esque chorus would have even Benny and Bjorn's toes tapping.
    While I agree its Gaga. I would never put Venus in the same league as anything ABBA have done. Benny and Bjorn are genius and their music still sounds as fresh today as it did 40 years ago. I somehow doubt anything of Gaga's will have that standing come 2044.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I don't care if the album flopped. I really like it. It's her best since the Fame/Fame monster era. None of the pretentious nonsense that bogged down Born this way.

I totally agree with this.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The world fell for Gaga because of her excellent pop music and crazy persona. Nowadays she seems to have switched those two around. Her outfits are no longer crazy, but her music is. And that's not what the world wants. Nobody is here for rocket number 9 or sea shell bikinis except her deluded die-hard fans.

Don't get me wrong, I like Venus, but it is nowhere near up to the standard of what she was releasing at the start of her career.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I agree its Gaga. I would never put Venus in the same league as anything ABBA have done. Benny and Bjorn are genius and their music still sounds as fresh today as it did 40 years ago. I somehow doubt anything of Gaga's will have that standing come 2044.

The chorus to Venus is ABBA all over. I'm not saying it's on par with their immeasurable quality, just that it reminds me of their massive pop songs with huge choruses. I'm not sure I'm even complimenting her about it. ;)
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    The world fell for Gaga because of her excellent pop music and crazy persona. Nowadays she seems to have switched those two around. Her outfits are no longer crazy, but her music is. And that's not what the world wants. Nobody is here for rocket number 9 or sea shell bikinis except her deluded die-hard fans.

Don't get me wrong, I like Venus, but it is nowhere near up to the standard of what she was releasing at the start of her career.

100% agree with this.

People fell for the girl who wasnt the hottest thing ever with her funny nose and funny hairstyle fringe, but who obviously liked what she was doing and made fun songs like Just Dance and Poker Face. People were INTRIGUED by the bizarre outfits and the mini-film music videos of Paparazzi and Bad Romance (and perhaps, Telephone). People were a bit weirded out by the meat dress, the religious imagery overload of Alejandro and Judas, and the mother alien egg creature imagery of Born This Way, as well as the increasing impression that she thought she was the first person ever to write feel-good pop anthems.

Your average music fan thinks RIHANNA is a bit weird and out-there (even Katy Perry and Beyonce at times); people never LOVED/LIKED Gaga's eccentricities; she was just a bit of an odd distraction and her oddness was tolerated. As the oddness and controversiality moved forward and the music followed that path too, interest has moved away from her. She's still trying to be a mainstream pop star and mainstream doesnt like odd unless it happens to come at a time when it fits current fashion (see; emo 2004-5) or unless its only slightly odd; kooky (see will.i.am on The Voice). Gaga tries (that is, attempts) to be odd in the way someone like Bjork or Yoko Ono did; how did that work out for them in the mainstream?
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

benny and bjorn have delivered some turkeys in their time, especially on the earlier abba albums, but their quality control got better as they progressed, whereas, with gaga it seems to be the other way around. "venus" is not on par with abba, even at their worst and believe me, they made some terrible songs in the early years.

in other news, someone bought me the "artpop" for my birthday.:o not just the standard addition too, i cant decide whether the gift was meant to be ironic or merely an unwanted christmas gift.:confused: needless to say, the album is still in its cellophane, but i have been revisiting the tracks on youtube.

"aura", "g.u.y.", "sexxx dreams", "do what u want", "artpop", "dope" and "gypsy", i like in varied degrees and while i have grown fonder of "applause", it shouldn't have been the lead single. i actually quite like the video for "g.u.y.", but i liked the "applause" video too. i still consider this her weakest album, but there are some hidden gems on there to be fair.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Opinions are never wrong.

-

Venus is the only thing that can save the era, IMO. It sounds most like the RedOne TF singles.

When are people going to realise that Artpop is pretty much dead in most countries around the world? Nothing will save it, not G.U.Y., Venus, Gypsy or any other song, it's not even in the UK top 100 album chart, it's also languishing at #119 on the US Billboard 200 after just 21 weeks. She should just let G.U.Y. do whatever (probably underperform) and then just focus on the tour and move on already. So many of her fans are deluded, time and time again they insisted that Do What You Want was going to blow up into a mega smash hit whenever it was performed on yet another major television show in the UK and the US. It didn't. At least Gaga fans can say that in five months Artpop has nearly outsold (has it already?) the two year old MDNA, at least there's that.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really really surprised she's still plugging this era, but then I remember she only released this 5 months ago, feels like much longer.

By the time she gets back on the scene it will have been a lengthy time since she last had serious radio presence/mass audience attention.

She'll pretty much have to start from scratch and rely solely on the music.
  • Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilpeep wrote: »
    Just like Madonna only spoke about Gaga when she was promoting MDNA? Two can play at that game. ;)

No she didn't. She was asked about Lardy Gaga and she gave her opinion. What was she supposed to do - sit there and say nothing?
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No she didn't. She was asked about Lardy Gaga and she gave her opinion. What was she supposed to do - sit there and say nothing?

What a bizarre bump
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    What a bizarre bump

The poster is on an anti-gaga mission.