Question about the new PS4 and new Xbox?

DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
Forum Member
With both going to have even more powerful graphics does that mean Im going to have to buy an even more powerful TV? at the moment i have a Full HD 42 LG LCD TV.

But I have been browsing other forums and some are saying these TV's wont be able to show the true power of the next gen consoles. So does that mean Im going to have to invest in a more powerful TV?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    truth is no one knows

everything you have read is speculation

don't think either company has released details on their next consoles
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be fine with a full HD 1080p set for a while yet, rumours are that the new Playstation will support the new 4k resolution (esentially four times as many pixels as full HD) , but sets are only just coming to the market and are starting at around £20-30,000, and we've yet to see the current generation get even to the stage of running games at 1080p60fps, I wouldn't concern yourself with getting a new TV for another 5-10 years yet.
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way the next gen consoles will be able to run games at 3840x2160. Hell, even the most popular stuff like Call of Duty can't even do 1280x720! Your TV will be safe for a long time yet. :D
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    You'll be fine with a full HD 1080p set for a while yet, rumours are that the new Playstation will support the new 4k resolution (esentially four times as many pixels as full HD) , but sets are only just coming to the market and are starting at around £20-30,000, and we've yet to see the current generation get even to the stage of running games at 1080p60fps, I wouldn't concern yourself with getting a new TV for another 5-10 years yet.

Storage of 4k is an issue as well. There's a new codec out this year which apparently will help massively. Not sure about ps4 though.
    OP, the vast majority of gamers play at 1080p. you'll be fine for years.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its possible that the next generation of consoles will be ABLE to render at higher resolutions, I don't think that it'll be a requirement.

The biggest issue is things like memory bandwidth; how fast can data be written to and read from memory. Some quick calculations sohw me that; for a modern game, just to write to every pixel at 3840x2160 resolution with all the buffers you would need at 60Hz, would require memory bandwidth of 9.27GB/s.

That's half of the PS3's current max rendering bandwidth and a quarter of the XBox 360's. And keep in mind; that's just changing the colour of every pixel ONCE, in the buffers currently used in most games.

In case you're wondering what those buffers are, they are (for a typical deferred shading setup) :-

1) Colour (32-bit ARGB)
    2) Depth (24-bit floating point, 8-bit stencil)
    3) Normal (32-bit RG)
    4) Parameter (32-bit ARGB)
    5) Accumulation (32-BIT ARGB)

Normally you're going to be updating these buffers in memory more than once.

Based on the numbers alone, I wouldn't worry about SHD resolutions being a requirement, unless they come up with some amazing sort of memory architecture that's 20 to 30 times faster than it currently is, doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't generate so much heat that you require a separate A/C to keep the dammed thing cool.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amid all the hype, bluster and rumour-mongering around, this is the one thing I've read about the new-gen consoles which has made me think, "I can believe that"

Though I don't know my stuff like BD up there, so he may say otherwise!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 1080p tv is fine for consoles. Anything more would be pointless at this moment in time.
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To save me starting a new thread I will ask me question about the Playstation 4 here.

If the Playstation 4 has the same USB ports on the front as the Playstation 3 has well I be able to use my Grand Turismo steering wheel which is complet with pedals and playseat as well as my Dualschock 3 and Sixaxis controllers and Offical Sony remote control?
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next generation of consoles are very unlikely to require more than 1080p, so you probably won't need a new TV. Most current high power PC games still max out at 1080p, and the PC is always ahead of consoles in technology.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Most current high power PC games still max out at 1080p

Wut?

10char
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amid all the hype, bluster and rumour-mongering around, this is the one thing I've read about the new-gen consoles which has made me think, "I can believe that"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

The specs in the article sit with what little I've heard, and with some educated guesses I was having about 18 months ago.

Generaly, I was reckoning we'd see lower clocks speeds as everybody moved away from dual-issue, in-order processors and focus on out-of-order processors.

Because memory bus speed is typically run off the main clock speed through a divisor, then we'd also see a drop in memory bus speeds. But the memory buswould be the same width or wider.

So for Orbis, the CPU bus speed *might* be something like 800Mhz with a width of 128-bits (16-bytes) giving a theoretical bandwidth of around 11.9GB/s.

The limiting factor is how fast memory can respond to bus requests though. Really fast memory is expensive, but GDDR5 should do the job just fine,

The same goes for the GPU. Lower clock speeds, but with a higher number of compute units (in place of shader units).

I reckon both consoles (Orbis and Durango) will be pretty dammed powerful, but they'll do it in more clever ways and the leaps in performance won't be as big as people might expect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    the leaps in performance won't be as big as people might expect.

Which is a bit of a downer on first glance but when you look at the stuff that the Xbox 360 and PS3 can do now with only 512MB RAM total, it's quite amazing. 8x more memory should mean astonishing stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Which is a bit of a downer on first glance but when you look at the stuff that the Xbox 360 and PS3 can do now with only 512MB RAM total, it's quite amazing. 8x more memory should mean astonishing stuff.

It's about using the resources you have at hand, in the best way possible. We're at a tipping point in terms of techniques that means, you really only need a little bit more raw power to make a big difference.

I reckon we will see some amazing stuff even though for example, given my memory bus bandwidth estimation, the PS4 has 6 times LESS overall memory bandwith than the PS3.

But that's ok, because the memory bandwidth for the GPU on the PS3 is half what it was on the PS2 and XBox 360. What developer did, was to pick a rendering method (deferred shading) that made the best use of the resources at hand, and incidentally, meant that developers could render scenes that had much more complex lighting,

At a first glance, the raw numbers might not be such a great leap. But the hardware might be designed in a manner so that developers can make much more use of the machine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    With both going to have even more powerful graphics does that mean Im going to have to buy an even more powerful TV? at the moment i have a Full HD 42 LG LCD TV.

But I have been browsing other forums and some are saying these TV's wont be able to show the true power of the next gen consoles. So does that mean Im going to have to invest in a more powerful TV?

I am sure they would not bring them out only for people to not be able to play them. What do the new TV's have anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be the same as this gen.

A few games will go 4k, likely first party ones and the rest will be 1080p.

That's my prediction.

Sony has the most to gain from 4k, as it means you might want to buy a new TV and they pushed their new 4k TVs hard at CES.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope graphics dont get any better they are starting to look too much like films for me, there's only so much my eyes can take !
  • STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    i think we may also see £60/£70 games on PS4/Xbox720 , i dont think prices will go down , we may even the end of pre owned games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STeely wrote: »
    i think we may also see £60/£70 games on PS4/Xbox720 , i dont think prices will go down , we may even the end of pre owned games
    I think they'll stay the same.

DLC prolongs the life of a game, making studios more profit.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Sony is rumoured to have invented an anti-second hand game system. If they include this then it would be a stroke of genius for MS not to have such a system.

Anyway, EVERYTHING about the new consoles are rumours. Believe nothing until we are told for sure at E3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they don't say anything at/before E3, I think I'll end up getting a new PC and sodding the lot of them. :D

And it's highly likely that it'll be US/Japan this year whilst us poor Europeans get bummed to April 2014. :mad:
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I think global releases are the norm now. Especially with the next Microsoft console, since they have such a small following in Japan. I wonder if that new console will get released there at all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been rumours for both consoles being anti-used.

There was a patent filed by Sony which was about having an RF chip in the discs and associating an ID with a console.

People jumped right on that as being an anti-used system. I see it more as an anti-piracy measure.

As for release, we only got the PS3 late because of a shortage of some materials required to make the Blu-Ray drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting sooo bored of rumours about PS4 and nextbox. Why don't ppl just wait till E3, instead of endless speculating. Here's a thought...enjoy the console you have now. Still works doesn't it?!