Anyone use glucosamine?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
Forum Member
My knee joints have been aching abit lately and dont want to rely on painkillers. Probably from a combination of things.

Anyone use glucosamine and had any benefit? Or any other recommendations

Thanks

Comments

• fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried it for a while, and felt no benefit at all. I also tried MSM, with the same result.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents both use it and speak very highly of it.

It appears you have to take it for a month or so before it has any affect but they say to me it works for horses and they believe it works for them. I've not tried it myself but it appears a popular product.
  • liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been wondering whether to try it. Will be interested in the replies.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on it for a while, but my problems weren't really joint related so it did nothing for me. Sorry, I know that isn't very helpful, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mother & Brother both suffered with Arthritis - I've taken Glocosamine and am OK
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a health food shop and it's one of our most popular products. As lalaland has said it does need to be taken for a while (we suggest 3 months) in order to feel the benefits.

As with a lot of supplements it is not guaranteed to work but I have lots of customers who swear by it and is often bought on the suggestion of doctors.

If you are on any medication check first with your doctor and avoid if allergic to shellfish (a vegetarian fungi based glucosamine is available)
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get pains in my finger joints (especially when I use the computer a lot) and have found that rubbing on glucosamine gel helps a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    My mother swears by green lipped mussel as recommended by her doctor, however, also read:

From Wiki:

Green-lipped mussels contain a unique combination of fatty acids that are not found in any other marine or plant life. One of these polysaccharides, glycosaminoglycan, is purported to assist in the repair of damaged joint tissues.[4]

Studies have also found that Perna canaliculus inhibits the 5-lipoxygenase pathway, which leads to the formation of leukotrienes. Many of the products of these pathways have inflammation-supporting properties.[5] However, a systematic review of current scientific research on supplementation with Green-lipped mussel suggests a lack of compelling evidence for its use in humans with inflammation associated arthritis.[6]

Also see:
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/complementary_therapy/green-lipped_mussels.aspx

Different strokes for different folks I guess!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband has taken it for years for his joints. He claims it helps a lot with his painful shouder joints.
    I too have a knee problem like the OP.
    Gloucosamine hasn't helped much to relieve the pain for me and so I like to rub ibuprofen cream on the knee which does seem to make a difference.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

Who paid for the study? If it was one of the pharmaceutical companies who fund most of the studies into alternative remedies, it's obvious what the conclusion will be.

I used glucosamine for a few months and it helped with the pain level and improved my mobility. But I had to stop taking it when it started causing diarrhoea - there's not much point in improving mobility so you can go it if the remedy means you daren't be more than 2 minutes away from the nearest loo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    Who paid for the study? If it was one of the pharmaceutical companies who fund most of the studies into alternative remedies, it's obvious what the conclusion will be.

I used glucosamine for a few months and it helped with the pain level and improved my mobility. But I had to stop taking it when it started causing diarrhoea - there's not much point in improving mobility so you can go it if the remedy means you daren't be more than 2 minutes away from the nearest loo.

"Funding: The study was funded by grants from the Swiss National Science Foundation’s National Research Program 53 on musculoskeletal health (PJ and SR) (No 4053-0-104762/3). PJ was a senior research fellow in the Program for Social Medicine, Preventive and Epidemiological Research funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (grant No 3233-066377). SR was a recipient of a research fellowship funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (grant No PBBEB-115067). SW was a recipient of an individual fellowship of the Janggen-Poehn-Foundation. The study sponsor had no role in study design, data collection, data synthesis, data interpretation, writing the report, or the decision to submit the manuscript for publication. None of the authors is affiliated with or funded by any manufacturer of any of the agents evaluated in this study.

Competing interests: All authors have completed the Unified Competing Interest form at www.icmje.org/coi_disclosure.pdf (available on request from the corresponding author) and declare: no support from any institution for the submitted work; no financial relationships with any institutions that might have an interest in the submitted work in the previous 3 years; no other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted "
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    There's no proper scientific proof it works, but the theory is sound and a lot of people take it.
    I have heard that taking it an hour before bed is best?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NICE didn't approve it for use on NHS, but they take into account cost as well as everything else, if you can afford it and can swallow the huge tabs (there is one "mini" pill that is smaller but not "small" and you need to take 12 a day) then go for it. Also consider cod liver oil capsules (or liquid!)
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have osteo-arthritis in both knees and my GP suggested I try it, saying that it helped some people but not everyone. I took it for a few years and was never sure whether it was having an effect or not. Part of the problem is not knowing how much pain I'd be getting without glucosamine. So about 6 months ago I decided to stop and see what happened - and I can't detect any difference at all.

This isn't to say that it doesn't work for some people, but I don't seem to be one of them unfortunately. I should give it a try and see what happens.
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're better off taking a low dose of nurofen or aspirin.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have quite bad osteo arthritis in both knees. I find I can avoid chronic pain by not eating cheese - found this out by accident several years ago. I love cheese and have restarted eating it again on occasion with resultant chronic pain the next day. It will even keep me awake at night.:(

Avoiding cheese doesn't help with the pain I get when walking though. I was think of trying those sketchers shoes or MTBs etc for the extra cushioning effect. I'm fine walking on grass.

I've had no success with glucosamine but to be fair I'm useless at taking supplements for more than a week or so.
  • fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I offer this suggestion because my wife swears by it.

Regenovex.

Like other medication it takes time to become effective, probably about a month. Sold by Boots and some online sellers.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    joules22 wrote: »
    You're better off taking a low dose of nurofen or aspirin.

why?
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fortytwo wrote: »
    I offer this suggestion because my wife swears by it.

Regenovex.

Like other medication it takes time to become effective, probably about a month. Sold by Boots and some online sellers.

Good god, at twenty-odd quid a pack, no wonder your wife is swearing :D
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen evidence which suggests glucosamine does not work.

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c4675.full

Nurofen and aspirin are proven anti-inflammatories.
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FYI you can buy glucosamine tablets form the 99p and £1 shops. A very small price to pay instead of £21.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I'd try the Regenovex if it worked. It may do but the Adverising Standards Authority had this to say

"The ASA considered that the efficacy claims for GLM and HA relating to pain relief, anti-inflammatory properties, improvements in joint function and mobility and joint health maintenance were breakthrough claims, which required robust scientific evidence to support them. We considered that such evidence should consist of product-specific, controlled, double-blind clinical trials conducted on people.

We noted the report provided by MC was not a clinical trial, but an uncontrolled, un-blinded consumer-use study, in which participants used the advertised products over specific periods of time, and then gave their opinion as to the joint care products' effectiveness via a self-completion questionnaire. However, we considered that the consumer-use trial was not sufficient substantiation to support the type of claims being made in the ad.

We noted the supporting literature for the efficacy of HA and GLM consisted of general information about their use in joint health, but we considered that, because the evidence was not product specific, it did not demonstrate that GLM and HA were present in sufficient quantities in Regenovex products, or would be absorbed and utilised by the body via those products, in order to produce the claimed effects. We also noted that some of the studies for the efficacy of HA and GLM were carried out on frogs and rats, and we therefore considered that they were not appropriate to support a claim relating to humans.

Because we had not seen robust, scientific evidence to support the claims about the efficacy of the products' ingredients, we concluded that the claims had not been substantiated and were therefore misleading.

The ad breached CAP Code clauses 3.1 (Substantiation), 7.1 (Truthfulness) and 50.1 (Healh and beauty products and therapies).
    Action

The ad must not appear again in its current form. "