Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Fudd;63409960]If anything, The Paradise lifted it from Mr. Selfridge; Mr. Selfridge is based on a non-fiction book while The Paradise is based on a fictional novel. I presume Agnes is in the book (though I cannot guarantee it); if so, no doubt the author of The Paradise had heard about the Selfridge history and thought it would be a good human interest angle.

Also, Mr. Selfridge was filmed before The Paradise; the BBC even rushed The Paradise to air before they had finished the final episode to beat ITV to the punch. Rumours were ITV had lined up Mr. Selfridge for the autumn schedule.[/

According in an article in the Mail online, the scriptwriter Andrew Davies invented Agnes Towler and Ellen Love, Harry's first mistress. I have also read that the Paradise was filmed first, but who really knows, or cares come to that.
    At the moment I love the Paradise and just like Mr Selfridge but who knows by episode 8 I may just love Mr Selfridge too!! (I doubt it somehow but you never know)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this :) I am a fan of Jeremy Piven so looking forward to next week.

And as it's based on fact it will not have the disappointing ending that so many recent dramas have had.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    If anything, The Paradise lifted it from Mr. Selfridge; Mr. Selfridge is based on a non-fiction book while The Paradise is based on a fictional novel. I presume Agnes is in the book (though I cannot guarantee it); if so, no doubt the author of The Paradise had heard about the Selfridge history and thought it would be a good human interest angle.

Also, Mr. Selfridge was filmed before The Paradise; the BBC even rushed The Paradise to air before they had finished the final episode to beat ITV to the punch. Rumours were ITV had lined up Mr. Selfridge for the autumn schedule.

The book was released in 1883 so I think there is doubt that the author travelled to the future read the non-fiction book and then, since Agnes doesn't exist in it, made a deal with the BBC to copy Mr Selfridge. :D

Also as for who had the idea to do a series first, and this will probably never be 100% known, I believe it was the BBC. I remember looking into it when The Paradise first aired, and ITV was crying to anyone who'd listen that the BBC copied them, and found an article from about 4 years ago about The Paradise planning to film in North East, and there's an interview with Bill Galagher where he said he brought the book with him to his first meeting with the BBC, years before even Lark Rise was made. As for official announcements, the BBC announced there's nearly a year before ITV. I would post links but I'm on my phone :)

None of this matters in terms of enjoyment however, I will stick with Mr Selfridge because I was looking forward to it and first episodes are rarely brilliant, especially when bloated to 90 minutes, and I hope it steers off into a different direction than The Paradise.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The book was released in 1883 so I think there is doubt that the author travelled to the future read the non-fiction book and then, since Agnes doesn't exist in it, made a deal with the BBC to copy Mr Selfridge. :D

Also as for who had the idea to do a series first, and this will probably never be 100% known, I believe it was the BBC. I remember looking into it when The Paradise first aired, and ITV was crying to anyone who'd listen that the BBC copied them, and found an article from about 4 years ago about The Paradise planning to film in North East, and there's an interview with Bill Galagher where he said he brought the book with him to his first meeting with the BBC, years before even Lark Rise was made. As for official announcements, the BBC announced there's nearly a year before ITV. I would post links but I'm on my phone :)

None of this matters in terms of enjoyment however, I will stick with Mr Selfridge because I was looking forward to it and first episodes are rarely brilliant, especially when bloated to 90 minutes, and I hope it steers off into a different direction than The Paradise.

It is good to see that with all the criticism the BBC gets, they have the flexibility to get their series out earlier than the ITV one. They must have known that ITV would probably be throwing more money at their one so it could have overshadowed The Paradise even if that was a better production.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far I think that The Paradise was much better than Mr Selfridge, but it will, as previously mentioned, be interesting to see this show goes into a different direction.

As Selfridges is a much bigger store than The Paradise, there should be more room for more characters to appear, but obviously there is a limited budget.

It is already apparent that Mr S is a flawed character and is likely to succomb to temptation, whereas Moray, being a widower, had more room for manouevre.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I feel out of step in that I thought it was really disappointing. It wasn't a patch on The Paradise, let alone Downton, and all the characterisation was very two dimensional and thin. Piven was the best thing about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be a hit and crush Ripper Street in the ratings - having seen one episode of both, I much prefer Ripper in terms of story and acting, but it's too dark and nasty for me on a Sunday night, I'd rather watch it on the player later in the week.

Considering how similar they were, I thought it made the Paradise cast and direction look really brilliant, in terms of making you care about the characters, and seeing their strengths and weaknesses. Agnes was all right, but by the end of the first hour of the Paradise I really believed Denise had a special gift for selling and a drive about her, and Agnes's red rose scene didn't work anywhere near as well. This has a better budget, the sets are better, etc, but I thought the scenes that should have had real magic were just OK.

I will probably stick with it to see what happens - recording it next time so I can ff through the adverts - and I'm hoping that so many usually good actors is a sign the scripts are going to get better. But, yes, first impression - real disappointment.
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I feel out of step in that I thought it was really disappointing. It wasn't a patch on The Paradise, let alone Downton, and all the characterisation was very two dimensional and thin. Piven was the best thing about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be a hit and crush Ripper Street in the ratings - having seen one episode of both, I much prefer Ripper in terms of story and acting, but it's too dark and nasty for me on a Sunday night, I'd rather watch it on the player later in the week.

Considering how similar they were, I thought it made the Paradise cast and direction look really brilliant, in terms of making you care about the characters, and seeing their strengths and weaknesses. Agnes was all right, but by the end of the first hour of the Paradise I really believed Denise had a special gift for selling and a drive about her, and Agnes's red rose scene didn't work anywhere near as well. This has a better budget, the sets are better, etc, but I thought the scenes that should have had real magic were just OK.

I will probably stick with it to see what happens - recording it next time so I can ff through the adverts - and I'm hoping that so many usually good actors is a sign the scripts are going to get better. But, yes, first impression - real disappointment.

I totally agree with you except for one thing I am not that keen on Jeremy Piven. He's ok but his voice is so booming.

There was a previous poster who said he reminded her of one of the Gibb brothers, all teeth.I can see what she means!!
  • tallulahulatallulahula Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I sat through it all comparing it to the Paradise all the way through.

I much prefer the Paradise, the acting, the characters and the production were way more enjoyable. I will continue to watch, but I too will probably record and FF the ads.

Just my opinion ..
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS the paradise this/the paradise that. Who cares!? You can have room for more than one type of genre you know. One word...SOAPS.
    Forum Member
    FFS the paradise this/the paradise that. Who cares!? You can have room for more than one type of genre you know. One word...SOAPS.

True but it makes for some good online chat!! One thing though, I would not call the Paradise of Mr Selfridge soaps...pleeease have some respect!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't stop laughing when my friend said Mr Moray has twinkly eyes in Paradise whereas Mr Selfridge has twinkly teeth. :D
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    I loved it, and look forward to how the show and characters develop.

Jeremy Pivan in on This Morning right now, and comes across very well.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it, and look forward to how the show and characters develop.

Jeremy Pivan in on This Morning right now, and comes across very well.

I saw that. He said Mr Selfridge's life ends up quite tragically, but does that mean all that is covered in series one? I want facts :D
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that. He said Mr Selfridge's life ends up quite tragically, but does that mean all that is covered in series one? I want facts :D

I very much doubt that. ITV invested in this as a returning series, so will want to milk it as long as it is popular.

Mr Selfridge didn't 'crush' Ripper Street in the ratings at all - indeed, it held up pretty well against it given how heavily ITV have promoted their series. Selfridge also lost viewers over the 90 minutes it was on. Interestingly, Ripper Street won more male viewers while, predictably, Mr Selfridge's audience was heavily skewed towards women (figures in the Ratings thread).

The Selfridges setting is actually not much more than window dressing (excuse the pun) for a Casanova story. I found Piven's acting excruciating at times - all those cheesy raised hands gestures :eek: - and the 'charisma' felt very forced. PMSL at the Bee Gees comparison ... so true! :D

As a period bonkfest, I'm sure it will succeed. But there's not really much at stake dramatically - we all know Selfridges became a big success, so all the stuff about whether or not the store would survive lacks any genuine jeopardy. The Paradise may have been flawed - and yes, it was in development first - but at least with a fictional shop, we don't know what is going to happen ...
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I sat through it all comparing it to the Paradise all the way through.

I much prefer the Paradise, the acting, the characters and the production were way more enjoyable. I will continue to watch, but I too will probably record and FF the ads.

Just my opinion ..
    I'm the complete opposite, I gave up on The Paradise after one episode.....the acting, the characters and the production, all awful imo.

Loving Mr Selfridge, everything so much better, from the acting to the MUCH higher production values, it's as if The paradise was a Corner Shop.

Liking Zoë Tapper 'Ellen Love' too.;)
  • helen_whelen_w Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndreaJx wrote: »
    I couldn't stop laughing when my friend said Mr Moray has twinkly eyes in Paradise whereas Mr Selfridge has twinkly teeth. :D

haha - so true!

i really wanted to like mr selfridge but just didn't because of the acting. hopefully it'll get better as the series progresses.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a ten part series so it's probably all covered in 'one go'.:confused:
  • GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,808
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I'm the complete opposite, I gave up on The Paradise after one episode.....the acting, the characters and the production, all awful imo.

Loving Mr Selfridge, everything so much better, from the acting to the MUCH higher production values, it's as if The paradise was a Corner Shop.

Liking Zoë Tapper 'Ellen Love' too.;)

I agree with you. I found The Paradise not at all to my taste....and I appreciate Emile Zola, who originally wrote the story, having read a few of his books.

Mr Selfridge is far more enjoyable to watch and I am looking forward to next week.
  • vaarthartvainvaarthartvain Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it from start to finish..
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGI & Speeded up action............... why ?
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not see the Paradise so could not compare it if I wanted to ;)

Katherine Kelly has done very well since leaving Coronation Street.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have expected that the people who like this type of thing would all have liked both series . It looks as though you have to join one camp or another.

Just enjoy both !
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Just enjoy both !

That's what I've done! :D
  • helen_whelen_w Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    CGI & Speeded up action............... why ?

oh yes, those bits irritated me too!
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed watching the first episode of Selfridges; so I am hoping the standards of the following episodes are up to scratch. Great effort all round, and wasnt Katherine Kelly good too?