Three Internet - Unfiltered?

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm leaving Virgin due to some poor service. I was with T-Mobile before and thought they were great, but on price I'm considering going to Three (basically, their unlimited data though I could manage with 2GB) and enough texts and minutes to easily see me through for under £20.

I was with Three a while ago and found the network 2G handover a bit flakey. Anyone know of current problems? Also, the internet was censored so I couldn't read loads of sites I wanted to. Does anyone know if this is still the case? Don't want to have to go through their awful call centre to get it changed, just want it to work.

I want a SIM only 30 day contract.

Comments

• tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to go through their call centre to get the block lifted, even though they claim for contract customers (not PAYG) it isn't enabled.

But after a couple of days or so, they did lift it properly.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I tried that, it took 36 hours between them removing the old internet package and adding the unfiltered one (as if it's a thing and not a click-button on a computer), during which they tried to charge me over £50 for the data I'd used in that time! Took a LOT of arguing to get them to remove it. I left again after about 3 months.

I'll go back to T-Mobile.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    I'll go back to T-Mobile.
    I wouldn't.
    Customer service there is shocking nowadays - a 36 hour turnaround time is unheard of when I've had to contact them.
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    if you simply change the apn to 3internet that removes all the censorship. it also bypasses the proxies & horrid NAT boxes. (i.e you get a REAL public ip which is accessible from the outside network)

But the routing is very dynamic. (Often via cogent. but sometimes level 3)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Three for close to 2 years on their One Plan and I haven't ever had any censoring issues (unlike when I was previously on O2).
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only network I've seen an age block on was T-Mobile. I have 3 Three sims and none have age blocking on there.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used T-Mobile on PAYG and their filter is a lot stricter than that of 3 (no gambling sites or even Youtube; anyway you can send a text to set the filter to moderate and it will let you watch Youtube that way).
    You get a filter on adult content with 3 as well, but I bypassed it by changing the APN (this on PAYG).
    Now that I am on a contract with them (The One Plan), I had it removed by the call centre.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was with T-Mobile for a couple of years until last autumn and never had any issues. I also like their cheap roaming bundles for the EU. There was an adult block, but I just had to sign in and click to remove it. I'm a contract customer, there's really no need to filter for anyone clearly over 18!

3's filter was aggressive, couldn't get onto b3ta/reddit etc

When I was with 3 I had several problems with their call centre, who tried their best but call quality in actually speaking to them was abysmal and the systems they in place were awful, unclear and always resulted in me phoning them back. If I can get up and running in store and not have to deal with the call centre, then I'm happy.

Changing the APN in interesting and looks like it'll do the trick. Might give them another go purely on price, can always switch away again (which is why I stick with 30-day!)