LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 21)

Comments

• Shirley-HeightsShirley-Heights Posts: 7,296
    Forum Member
    Could it be that James 'lost' his Saturday breakfast show?

I can't keep up with which shows JM does as he always seems to be available to cover most of them :rolleyes:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    This morning SA was rambling on about food for most of the show (that I listened to, anyway). He said he put M&S stew in a pan, added mushrooms and let it simmer for an hour! Even he had to say he didn't know why he did that, because he hadn't made it.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't keep up with which shows JM does as he always seems to be available to cover most of them :rolleyes:

JM's regular shows are Saturday and Sunday morning breakfast.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I agree that there is a glut of right-wing presenters at the station, but I have to make the point that some are definitely more palatable than others: I have no time for the likes of NF and JW and yet Iain Dale is entirely listenable, and most definitely one of our most likeable. Which makes me wonder if personality is a deal-breaker for me and not anyone's political leaning.

There's a lot in your post I recognise in my own views.

The thing that most puts me off of NF, JW, JM and now IC is their tendency to state opinions as fact, and then go on to ridicule (to varying degrees) people who disagree rather than respect a different opinion. It's this lack of debating and lack of common respect implicit in such a style that I cannot stand.

It so happens that all four of them have pretty pronounced right-wing (and I would say ill-informed) views. It also so happens that this is a tendency that many would associate with the Daily Mail and The Sun, also right-wing. Is this co-incidence? Of course, there are those on the left who can be equally as bullish, but they tend not to be so high profile or have jobs in the mainstream media.

For me, it's the boorishness of the behaviour that is so off-putting and I now hit the Off switch more and more these days.

So yes, it is about personality, but I find those on the right to be a) much more prevalent and b) generally much more boorish and increasingly unpleasant. Iain Dale remains a notable exception.
    Forum Member
    Politics affect all of us.

Bias in the media also affects all of us because it influences how we vote, how we feel about our government and how we interact with each other - whether we realise it or not.

This manifests itself in choice of topic and the filtering and presentation of information (sometimes misinformation) in order to reinforce pre-conceived ideas.

The way we vote (or not) affects the government we deserve.

The government we deserve affects practically every aspect of our daily lives - and the lives of others.

This is a prerogative for which brave, frightened, desperate people have fought and died.

I think [one] should give as many X's as [one] can afford.

I agree 100%
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little bonus on Steve's show this morning - an entertaining call from actress Frances Barber about her views on older actresses not being encouraged to look their age.

Morning all. :)
    Forum Member
    That was unfortunately off-set by Steve's much repeated tales about being asked whether he wants a bag or not, when he's having a spend-up in a big store.

I happen to agree with him, it's happened to me and you would feel like a shoplifter walking around the store with the purchased item in your hand if you didn't accept a bag - but he's repeated this story so many times.That, and food again.
  • scrupulousscrupulous Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »

The thing that most puts me off of NF, JW, JM and now IC is their tendency to state opinions as fact,

Iain Dale remains a notable exception.

In the proverbial nutshell.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done to Susan Bookbinder who said she was trying to talk to Tory MP John Redwood. He was so rude! :rolleyes:It was all in her tone! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    Well done to Susan Bookbinder who said she was trying to talk to Tory MP John Redwood. He was so rude! :rolleyes:It was all in her tone! ;)

Yes, I heard her say that too, hahaa! :D I still can't make out if this 'alternative queen's speech' thing is true or not, though? Anyway, I don't know if it was because she was put off kilter by his call or not, but she was even more difficult to listen to on this morning's half hour news bulletin :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I haven't noticed a lot of right wing bias here, despite posters being regular LBC listeners. Perhaps we're exceptions to the rule and bright enough to make up our own minds. I should except myself because I'm obviously a Tory but I decided that for myself, not because I was influenced by Nick Ferrari or my daily newspaper. And I've enjoyed listening to James O'Brien for years without feeling the slightest urge to subscribe to The Guardian.

I'm with you on all of that, g-s :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I heard her say that too, hahaa! :D I still can't make out if this 'alternative queen's speech' thing is true or not, though? Anyway, I don't know if it was because she was put off kilter by his call or not, but she was even more difficult to listen to on this morning's half hour news bulletin :rolleyes:

I thought she was OK. But don't understand about the Alternative Queen's Speech or should that be the Queen's Alternative Speech? :confused::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    I think I just saw a post from reasonableman! Hello Stranger!

Hi! Yes, I'm back! I was overseas on business for a few months, so no contact.

While I was away, I noticed the LBC Playback podcast (the free highlights of the week) seemed to stop. Having just looked, the last one was 25 March. Have LBC stopped doing it?
    Forum Member
    I haven't noticed a lot of right wing bias here, despite posters being regular LBC listeners. Perhaps we're exceptions to the rule and bright enough to make up our own minds. I should except myself because I'm obviously a Tory but I decided that for myself, not because I was influenced by Nick Ferrari or my daily newspaper. And I've enjoyed listening to James O'Brien for years without feeling the slightest urge to subscribe to The Guardian.

I'm going to open a can of worms here, I'm sure, but I don't think it's true to say that you or anyone isn't influenced by the media. I include myself and everyone in this and I hope it's on-topic because LBC is part of that media.

We all shape our opinions based on what we hear, what we read, and what we choose to delve into deeper. Given that the vast majority of our information comes from the media, it cannot help, surely, but have an influence on us, especially in terms of the stories that it reports and how the agenda is shaped. I remember, for example, the disability rights marches through London that went wholly unreported because they were peaceful, so people largely didn't even hear about the issues. And we've talked ad nauseam about the benefit-bashing shaping people's views, whereas the figures clearly show that govt is re-defining who can claim, NOT catching cheats. You wouldn't know this from the reports, which tells us that this is all about abuse of the system.

Human beings are more open to influence (even from things like the weather!) than we like to imagine, but that's part of our in-built human arrogance.

So this is why I think balance is especially important and why I think it's important to know who owns and shapes the stories picked out for reporting and how they are reported.

If you throw enough mud, some of it does stick.
    Forum Member
    Oddly enough, JOB's first hour seems to be about just this very topic, ultimately. He's discussing the reporting of CIA foiling a bomb plot and whether this is about keeping us scared and therefore pliable.

This is very much a debate on the media influencing or being used to influence us.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! Yes, I'm back! I was overseas on business for a few months, so no contact.

While I was away, I noticed the LBC Playback podcast (the free highlights of the week) seemed to stop. Having just looked, the last one was 25 March. Have LBC stopped doing it?

LBC ceased broadcasting LBC Playback many weeks ago and now airThe Best of Steve Allen and remarkably they are able to find enough material to fill and hour. I guess they decided not to produce LBC Playback just for the podcast if it was no longer going to be broadcast
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gildy, I also noticed it when I read the schedule on the website. Steve usually does a later show over the BH weekends, but Management still kept him in his graveyard shift this time. Doesn't bode well...!!

Well, you do wonder...I catch bits of the programme but am usually half asleep!
    Forum Member
    Steve usually does a later show over the BH weekends, but Management still kept him in his graveyard shift this time. Doesn't bode well...!!

I very much wish that Steve was on later on a bank hol, but I don't think this bodes badly for him. I think that the management are glad to have found someone who can fill a graveyard slot and bring in a decent audience for that time of the day, and also a decent income via podcasts.

Having Steve in that slot is a bonus for them, I reckon. Sadly, it's not a bonus for me, as I would much prefer to have him live and provide a little light relief on a bank hol. God forbid that they should have him at 4am on Xmas Day, though... that would be a bridge too far!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    im very surspised by the amount of critisicm that NF gets on here he is by far my favourite , his breakfast show is a masterclass in presenting it flows with impeccible timing , always interesting news and topics , forthright with his views and says it how it is , and he has great humour in the way he teases the callers .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fosterscan wrote: »
    im very surspised by the amount of critisicm that NF gets on here he is by far my favourite , his breakfast show is a masterclass in presenting it flows with impeccible timing , always interesting news and topics , forthright with his views and says it how it is , and he has great humour in the way he teases the callers .
    Evening Mr Ferris and welcome to the LBC thread. :D
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fosterscan wrote: »

Hi fosterscan and welcome to the thread :)

I reckon the differences of opinion on here are partly what keeps the thread going - along with the camaraderie, snide remarks, sniping and general intransigence (only joking!) ;)

At the moment, I'm really enjoying Anthony Davis, who seems very able to juggle several topics successfully at the same time, listens to his callers and doesn't force his opinions on anybody. I also very much enjoy his voice which, to my ear, is ideal for radio - especially late at night. Other posters find him monotonous and boring - but that's the way it goes!

I also enjoy this aspect of James O'B, where he's not sure about something and invites his listeners to clarify. I'm sure it's often posturing, but it works IMO.

Regarding NF - I agree that his pacing is quite remarkable, along with his consistency and ability to 'do it all again tomorrow'. I also agree that he is very quick-witted. I suspect he imbibes several cups of strong coffee before, during and after his show. I personally find most of his views too tabloid for my taste - but there you go - it's up to me whether I listen or not.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice one!! :D
    Forum Member
    That is absolute genius! :D

Foamarmeister, I adore you - whoever you are!

(I've also just seen the Halliard Gnomes Warship - hilarious! :D:D)

Edit - I'm just looking thorugh former Foamer 'fotos' - it's the funniest thing I've seen in ages - the signed Martin Rosen LBC postcard, LOL!

How can I make sure I get regular updated photos? - these are too brilliant to miss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.