Java and the compulsory add on "ask"

I am reluctant to install the add on "ask" that comes with installing Java since I seem to recall it changed my home page once. Also I have no way of finding out if "ask" is O.K (there is a procedure whereby the certificate can be checked on Java). So installing Java is not possible without this damn add on, i.e. it cancels the whole operation if "ask" add on is not accepted.
Do I have nothing to worry about? Should I go ahead?

I have tried not installing Java but the damn symbol keeps flashing on my bottom toolbar. I know there's a procedure to cancel it but won't it will mean not getting notified of new updates? I am in Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you pressing Cancel when the Ask toolbar prompt appears?

You know you can untick the checkbox next to 'Install the Ask toolbar' etc, then press Next?
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this update earlier this evening and I was able to remove the tick when it mentioned the Ask Toolbar, and consequently it didn't install the toolbar.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ask Toolbar is not compulsory, untick the checkbox.

Once you have installed Java you can alter the update method to suit you from it's configuration in the Java Control Panel.

I have just installed it. I did not even get the Toolbar thing at all during the install anyway.
    Probably because the last update was so close.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    I am reluctant to install the add on "ask" that comes with installing Java since I seem to recall it changed my home page once. Also I have no way of finding out if "ask" is O.K (there is a procedure whereby the certificate can be checked on Java). So installing Java is not possible without this damn add on, i.e. it cancels the whole operation if "ask" add on is not accepted.
    Do I have nothing to worry about? Should I go ahead?

I have tried not installing Java but the damn symbol keeps flashing on my bottom toolbar. I know there's a procedure to cancel it but won't it will mean not getting notified of new updates? I am in Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    With the recent security flaws in Java, do you need it at all? I recently went into Control Panel and uninstalled it via Programs and Features. Good riddance.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    With the recent security flaws in Java, do you need it at all? I recently went into Control Panel and uninstalled it via Programs and Features. Good riddance.
    I didn't realise Java had security flaws....but have suspected so since it was rejected from being installed in the past (I have McAffee security).

Googling Java told me that it is integral to internet applications...what might they be? I don't do gaming, or use internet for business so could I safely opt out i.e. cancel the programme as suggested here (from CP)?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Java is a write once run anywhere system so you can write it on a pc and it'll run on a mac/phone/mainframe/car in theory and is based on oracles solaris operating systems binary format

For most people its not really needed but some programs do need it
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like all these 'essential' programs, there's (nearly) always an untick option. LINK

Pesky Java, Adobe etc all trying to earn some commission by tricking the unwary into installing additional crap
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ask toolbar can be uninstalled later if you've missed the option tickbox ..... and if you have java installed try to make sure web plugin is disabled, many sites used to use java plugin BUT number that do has fallen dramatically
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    ask toolbar can be uninstalled later if you've missed the option tickbox ..... and if you have java installed try to make sure web plugin is disabled, many sites used to use java plugin BUT number that do has fallen dramatically
    The installation set up is that you can't install Java WITHOUT "ask" (hence this thread). My memory from getting both in the past is that the ask takes over as my homepage (unwelcome).

Am confused by you mentioning Java plugin - is this separate/additional to Java itself? I thought Java WAS a plugin. :confused:
    Forum Member
    Like all these 'essential' programs, there's (nearly) always an untick option. LINK

Pesky Java, Adobe etc all trying to earn some commission by tricking the unwary into installing additional crap
    Thanks for this - very helpful. As you can probably tell, my techno knowledge is practically zilch!
  • martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently downloading a fresh copy of Windows7 including SP1 from Microsoft's volume licensing centre I was prompted to use their Java based download manager. This shows Java is far from useless.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martytoo wrote: »
    Recently downloading a fresh copy of Windows7 including SP1 from Microsoft's volume licensing centre I was prompted to use their Java based download manager. This shows Java is far from useless.

Are you sure? MS aren't very likely to use a Java applet when they can use ActiveX.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    The installation set up is that you can't install Java WITHOUT "ask" (hence this thread). My memory from getting both in the past is that the ask takes over as my homepage (unwelcome).

Am confused by you mentioning Java plugin - is this separate/additional to Java itself? I thought Java WAS a plugin. :confused:
    well i've always been able to avoid the ask toolbar being installed along with java, just make sure I un-tick box that asks you if you want 'ask' ... and ask is easily uninstalled anyway ... java (web) plugin is just 1 component of java, it's the part with security risks .. the rest which helps some offline programs run is OK to use

what browser are you using? what ask features do you see?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martytoo wrote: »
    java isn't useless it's just that it's a massive security risk online & has to be used with great care -- best avoided if you can
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Life is too short to keep up with Java security flaws, but I note that having stayed updating version 6 up to now - whilst the panic was on about Java 7, my PC is now asking to install Java 7 continually....... Norton is also sending me emails to tell me that Norton have the flaws in Java covered even if Java don't......... Is it now safer to let it install 7 or are we still safer keeping with the supposedly safer 6 version and ignoring the annoying pop ups to upgrade it ???
    Forum Member
    well i've always been able to avoid the ask toolbar being installed along with java, just make sure I un-tick box that asks you if you want 'ask' ... and ask is easily uninstalled anyway ... java (web) plugin is just 1 component of java, it's the part with security risks .. the rest which helps some offline programs run is OK to use

what browser are you using? what ask features do you see?
    Yeah, sorry barky - #8 did provide the answer as to how to uninstall ask (brain slow to acknowledge/assimilate this).

Thanks for this further post though. :)
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they've been plugging that shite for months.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    java isn't useless it's just that it's a massive security risk online & has to be used with great care -- best avoided if you can

I removed it about a week ago. The only problem I can think of is with Pogo which is Java based (I think).
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Java is a nuisance and seems to take ages to install, but you can untick or delete Ask.

Babylon is a sod to shift. Like the computer contracting herpes.
  • ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I dont recall seeing ask bundled with the java runtime, I updated to 1.7.0.15 the other day and it did not install or mention ask.

Dont remember ever seeing it on any java downloads

I download from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a cross platform language I keep coming across java apps I need to use.
    Cross platform means no OS lock-in for the developer and user.

Yes you can remove it and reinstall when needed.
    As said, 'cancel' instead if untick is a common mistake. I've done that before.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Being a cross platform language I keep coming across java apps I need to use.
    Cross platform means no OS lock-in for the developer and user.

Yes you can remove it and reinstall when needed.
    As said, 'cancel' instead if untick is a common mistake. I've done that before.

There's nearly always leaner and better software out there than something that relies on Java. Yes it's platform independent, but it's also absolutely full of security issues and makes any platform you install it on more like Swiss cheese from a security point of view. If software requires it I choose alternative software.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    There's nearly always leaner and better software out there.
    I'm finding the java stuff invariably is tight, lean, free and adware free.
    So if it does a non speed essential job its often a good bet.

I use it intermittently but last couple have been something tiny like 512K to 1MB in size.

And there is certainly less risk in running a java app than a proprietary, heavily laden one.
    I've also yet to come across a java app that is free to use for a useless 3 seconds or so!
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    I don't know what's more shameful: installing the Ask toolbar or installing Java :p

Dave
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I'm finding the java stuff invariably is tight, lean, free and adware free.
    So if it does a non speed essential job its often a good bet.

I use it intermittently but last couple have been something tiny like 512K to 1MB in size.

And there is certainly less risk in running a java app than a proprietary, heavily laden one.
    I've also yet to come across a java app that is free to use for a useless 3 seconds or so!

Certainly just having the java installed and by default the browser plugin means system code can be ran client side from a malicious website, giving it such shocking levels of system access access to the network / TCP stack and all sorts.

Java is probably the most dangerous piece of software to install. Give me any freeware proprietary code from a reputable source with user reviews any day, over having a continuously exploited language that auto installed a browser plugin with such gaping security holes into the OS.

Java is exploited on a monthly basis and features in most of the exploit kits the malware guys use, those exploit kits are updated daily and literally every month another exploit is found in Java to break out of the sandbox and compromise the system - and you're running this plugin in your browser where there a potential for malware in ads, even on legitimate sites.