Martine McCutcheon declared bankrupt

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Martine McCutcheon, star of Love Actually and once billed as once of Britain's most successful soap-to-screen stars, has been declared bankrupt.
The actress petitioned for bankruptcy at Kingston-Upon-Thames County Court under her given name, Martine Kimberley Sherri Ponting.
She will be discharged from bankruptcy on January 2, 2014.
KPMG have been appointed her trustees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/fameandfortune/9864485/Martine-McCutcheon-declared-bankrupt.html

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most successful soap to screen stars???

What has she done on TV since leaving Eastenders???

Yoghurt adverts and being killed by a wheel of cheese in an episode of Midsommer Murders
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ this.

Bet her last paycheck from her short-lived role in Midsomer Murders wasn't enough to foot her huge wedding bill, let alone buy a pair of expensive designer shoes or handbag!!
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Yoghurt adverts and being killed by a wheel of cheese in an episode of Midsommer Murders

It does make me smile when I hear her referred to as that, she's not done anything "successful" in years has she?
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved her in Eastenders.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    But, despite this fame and accompanying fortune, she was made bankrupt by the High Court after failing to deliver the final £82,000 of a £417,000 tax bill.
    "Before HMRC takes action, there will be several warnings and opportunities to settle any liabilities. Therefore, any abrogation by the celebrity of their responsibility to deal with income tax and other debt issues, is no real defence.”

Sounds like she didn't pay tax for a number of years?

Now she's in the Kerry Katonna club, her next job will likely be advertising loans.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Although the death by cheese will forever be remembered as a MM classic :D

BiB - She had a good start after EE, Award winning stage performance (although Jonathan Pryce's look of disgust when she won was brilliant) her album sold pretty well IIRC, Love Actually was a hit, and then went to the States and completely messed up her chances. (mind you, the reputation she acquired during My Fair Lady run wouldn't have helped her much if she wanted to return to the stage)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly a Perfect Moment for her.

*Gets coat* :o
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw her presenting some kind of beauty tips show on one of the Freeview channels - Really, I think it was?
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was in Love Actually. I'm not saying she went on to be a megastar, which UK soap stars do? But she did well.

I had no idea she was killed by a wheel of cheese in Midsomer Murders though. That show is bonkers. :D:o
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't suppose she looks on this as her perfect moment:o
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must come a point surely,where these "stars" have to realise their 15 minutes is up. They would be far better off trying to get a job in the real world than prolonging the agony of a fading showbiz career.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    She was in Love Actually. I'm not saying she went on to be a megastar, which UK soap stars do? But she did well.

I had no idea she was killed by a wheel of cheese in Midsomer Murders though
    . That show is bonkers. :D:o

nor me, I really want to see it now as sounds quite amusing:D
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bandita wrote: »
    Don't suppose she looks on this as her perfect moment:o

Could you not have used another one of her songs? This gag had already been used in Post #8 :o:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Is it time for a fresh start? :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    she will have to start her acting career from scratch again in scottish division three with 'ally mcoist' as her agen:D
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you not have used another one of her songs? This gag had already been used in Post #8 :o:)

Did the OP hear about this on the radio ? :D
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    nor me, I really want to see it now as sounds quite amusing:D

As she gets killed before the opening credits start, it's worth a quick look on itv player :D plus they put her in possibly the most unflattering dress I've seen in a long time. It's not quite up there with 'death by having wine bottles lobbed at you whilst being staked out on your lawn', but it's a good 'un for Midsomer Murders :D
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Why do people hate Martine? I've never understood it.

Is it because she tried (and failed) to crack the US? Or because she left EE? Or just because of those annoying adverts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet she regrets skiving off her role in My Fair Lady now.

She had talent but her unprofessional behaviour was her undoing.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No actually, it wouldn't have worked, for once I didn't read the whole thread - not that I have to justify myself:p Credit to the original darkjedimaster for a cheeky quip.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let us remember her Eastender's role where she died on the ice after being tapped slightly by Frank Butcher's car and before anyone says it, yes I know she banged her head.

What gets me about this is that no one even touched her after she had fallen, no one took their coat off and wrapped it round her, they all just stood staring, watching her last breath, I found it quite odd.

Sorry, thinking out loud :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Zer-UPpE
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I like Martine but sorry my sympathies lie with those who lose their jobs while buying a house and bringing up their families. Martine must have earned the money to owe the tax, so if she squandered it, it is her fault, she had more than most in her day, so she has to accept the responsibility and try to get work to pay off her creditors who apart from the taxman have their own bills to pay.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the mighty have fallen! Where did it all go wrong?!

She must have earned some decent money in her time so she couldn't have been investing it wisely. There's a lot of people worse off than her who manage to keep their heads above the water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't quite understand how she is bankrupt, she has had work here and there and was allegedly paid big money for her wedding snaps last year, what on earth has she blew it all on? :confused:
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I like Martine but sorry my sympathies lie with those who lose their jobs while buying a house and bringing up their families. Martine must have earned the money to owe the tax, so if she squandered it, it is her fault, she had more than most in her day, so she has to accept the responsibility and try to get work to pay off her creditors who apart from the taxman have their own bills to pay.

Yes, I agree - although I don't particularly like her.

She should have paid her taxes like everyone else. As someone who has experienced a family member's bankruptcy through no fault of their own, and the devastation it reeked, I have no sympathy for tax dodgers - especially ones with lifestyles like McCutcheon's.

Still, at least she can't still claim to be the UK's answer to J-Lo:sleep: