Bring back Big Break

DiazDiaz Posts: 220
Forum Member
I would love to see this back on our television screens as a brand new series.

Either as a BBC Production or a brand new series produced by Sky (they own Challenge) and shown on Challenge.

Jim Davidson would have to be replaced as host but John Virgo could return. Any suggestions for a new host?

I really think it could be successful.

Comments

• Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Not too sure about John Virgo because he seemed quite ill when he was on Pointless celebrities.

But yes it would be nice to see it return with a new host and JV replaced.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it would be the same without Jim Davidson. He's hilarious with his funny voices. Not many men can be as funny as that.
  • alxnealxne Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Agreed it should make a return
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chalky in the Virgo role
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Not too sure about John Virgo because he seemed quite ill when he was on Pointless celebrities.

But yes it would be nice to see it return with a new host and JV replaced.

Yes, poor old Virgo has a bad neck. I doubt he'd be able to perform the duties that he once did around the table.

Not sure who'd replace him, but I would like to see the show back in some form or another.
  • belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on the junior version as a contestant when I was 14, in 1998! And I won. Ha!

John Virgo was a legend but JD was, as predicted, a complete willy.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bradley Walsh instead of Jim Davidson. And Steve Davis instead of JV. He's old school but quality.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it would be the same without Jim Davidson. He's hilarious with his funny voices. Not many men can be as funny as that.

:):) on the basis you're being sarcastic
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chalky in the Virgo role

This. :D:D:D:D:D rofl
  • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Mack in the Jim Davidson role and Dennis Taylor, Steve Davis or John Parrott in the JV role
  • DiazDiaz Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    sporter92 wrote: »
    Lee Mack in the Jim Davidson role and Dennis Taylor, Steve Davis or John Parrott in the JV role

Lee Mack would be OK as the host I think, Steve Davis would be good in the JV role. Dennis Taylor would want to tell too many jokes and would take the spotlight away from Lee Mack.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring Back Brian Badonde
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Yay for Captain Sensible singing the theme song!
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Yay for Captain Sensible singing the theme song!

Theme song was brilliant. One of the best.

Actually it was a very polished show which really flowed and was very popular in its heyday.

The Davidson/Virgo double act was very good imo.

As for now Id go along with Bradley Walsh/Steve Davis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    :):) on the basis you're being sarcastic

No. Not at all.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Not at all.

So, you didn't stand by me?
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should keep with the cheeky cockney which works for the theme of snooker and go with Shane Richie as host. He's an ex red coat so can be funny and is also used to presenting and already does Don't Forget the Lyrics. He can do funny voices and impression like Jim used to do. He's a bit of a rough diamond too and a cheeky chappy and very likeable. Bradley is a bit too polished for this type of show I think.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I could pick nearly anyone who is a comedian or trying to be a comedian who is a lot more funny than JD. He should've died out in the 70's where his 'humour' belongs.

I think Bradley Walsh would be a good choice.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Lee Mack or Shane Ritchie presenting with Steve Davis/Dennis Taylor in the JV role. But no can do deadpan like JV - whenever he's asked to explain the rules - "Pot as many balls as you can" :D
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i totally agree that Big Break should make a comeback, i mean Snooker is still popular at the moment and it would work on Challenge i reckon like Blockbusters has.

i agree with Bradley Walsh/Lee Mack as host with Steve Davis in the JV role.
  • DiazDiaz Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    We should contact the BBC and Sky (owners of Challenge) and let them know that a Big Break revival has some public support.

What is the best way to contact the BBC and Sky?
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was on the show back in 1996, probably the best day out from the shows I have been on, they recorded two shows & all the players & contestants were in the green room most of the day, I had a couple of guests in the audience & they were allowed in the green room for drinks after filming & we got a chauffeur car home, you would not get that from the BBC now, very popular show in its day & I see no reason with the dross that is on on a Saturday night why it would not be successful again to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    I think I could pick nearly anyone who is a comedian or trying to be a comedian who is a lot more funny than JD. He should've died out in the 70's where his 'humour' belongs.

I think Bradley Walsh would be a good choice.

Bradley will always be lacking when it comes to Jim Davidson's ability to do hilarious voices.