Glee star Cory Monteith found dead in Canada hotel, aged 31

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes a lot to shock me, but I'm gutted and completely in disbelief. RIP Corey and heartfelt sympathy to Lea and his family.
    His legacy was a starring role in THE feel good telly series of this century and I'm just heartbroken that his career was cut short. (I presume it was an overdose?) but that doesn't take away the grief for his girlfriend and his family.

:( So sad.
  • mercury01mercury01 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    PokeyOaks wrote: »
    Isn't there someone else he was seeing who's very prominent in the public eye, and who'll probably never come forward after the handlers got involved the last time around.

Shame they can't express their grieving. :(

What are you talking about?
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    What tragic news, looking at his Twitter he seemed a kind and generous man with a big heart looking to help others less fortunate than himself.
    http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/cory-monteith
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was absolutely shocked this morning when I read it :(
    He was the only reason to watch Glee, lovely bloke and gorgeous to look at even though he was too young for me :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was an extreme shock to the system. Awful awful news to hear; people have followed his character for the past four years in glee, they've seen his personal life plastered over the media and in some circumstances been able to relate to the man. I didn't even like his character in the show but it was still upsetting to hear that someone who you constantly hear from or about passed away at a young age.

Do not even want to consider how Lea is coping as she's always appeared as happy and ambitious and this will be a huge shock to her system.
  • DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rip Corey and maybe once we know the cause of death it will clear a few things up.
  • Dizzy-GirlDizzy-Girl Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Lea should have helped him out more with his drug problems.

No doubt she will be feeling extremely guilty.

My mum used to tell me 'If u can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!'
    I think until any post mortem results have been made public, people should keep any thoughts that he died from drugs to themselves.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news :( Thoughts with his friends and family.

RIP
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    This news is so sad. Never watched Glee but always been aware of Cory in the press and seen him interviewed a few times. He always seemed really nice :(

Very very sad. RIP.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    So sad. RIP Cory.

And more saddest was that in today's Sunday Mirror's mag, there was photos feature of people wear neckable, there was Lea with "Cory" name on her neckable. :(
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a glee fan but it is terrible that a young guy of 31 is dead and was so talented. I hope Lea manages to cope with her terrible loss.
  • *Baby*Blue**Baby*Blue* Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    RIP Cory Monteith. He seemed such a genuine, down to earth person and was loved by everyone around him. He was such a talented actor, taken so young :cry:

Thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and friends ♥
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    very sad, i can't believe what i'm reading :(
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    21000 kids will die today across the world thanks to no fault of their own as a result of disease and hunger. Now thats a tragedy.

While I feel sad for his family another well paid show biz star dying from a suspected self inflicted drugs related cause. Well perhaps less so.

Sorry to give some perspective. But none of those kids will get a DS headline or thread.

None of it's good is it? People have demons sometimes that they can't shake - I don't think playing the lots of people die card is a good move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

From the interviews I have seen, he has always come across as such a lovely person and nobody has ever had a bad word to say about him. Sadly, the Westboro church are saying how happy they are about his death and are planning on picketing his funeral. Evil people!

Certainly an evil organisation but we knew this already. Perhaps in all seriousness there ought to be a support group for family and friends of people who's funerals that horrible organisation insist on descrating with their foul presence - talk about adding insult to injury.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    Did you know him personally?

No, but you know if a celeb who's work you liked died and died a heck of lot younger than they should have done it's still sad and it affects you on some level. Not as much as someone you knew intimately did (like a friend or family member) but it does and sometimes it's nice to share with others who feel the same way. I kinda had that day in the days before twitter and facebook gave you more of an immediate connection or at least the illusion of one although I severely doubt that the celeb I mourned would have been on social media - I wouldn't knock fans of anyone for feeling sad that they've gone (I even felt sorry for Whitney Houston fans and loathe her music on the whole) and yes it is a tragedy. Neil Young in his song "The Needle and the Damage Done" described addicts as being like setting sons and I think that applies here.

I'd like to ask you if you've ever faced the sad news that an artist who meant something to you ever died young and if so did it really mean nothing to you - seriously?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never watched Glee so wasn't really a fan of his, but this has made me feel incredibly sad. For him, for Lea, for his family and friends. Regardless of how he died (I read that the autopsy results will be announced early this week?) he has left behind people that will miss him and need to grieve for him. I hate that some people use something sad like this for their own gain, or to big up another sad event.

All death is sad to someone but it is logical that a celebrity death gets more attention than the death of a non-celebrity. I saw a great quote on Twitter which was something along the lines of "Don't let anyone tell you you can't feel sad about what you feel sad about" and I agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no need to give any perspective. A death of any person is equally devastating, be it a young child or a young man dying of an accidental OD.

In all honesty I can't agree with this. Yes it is very tragic. I'm a fan of the show and by all accounts he was a lovely person but if, and its a big if at this stage, his death was related to drugs then whilst clearly devastating for his friends and family, imo it cannot be compared to for example the death of a child. There has to be some recognition of some part of accountability otherwise we learn nothing.

Its not my intention to be offensive but having lost a brother younger than Corey in tragic circumstances things like this make me angry as I see it as such a bloody waste.

I understand he fought very hard against his demons and he and his family most certainly didn't deserve this but absolving him of any responsibility does him and others like him a disservice imo. Even if it makes one other person stop and think and not go down that road then its worth not brushing it under the carpet.
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all honesty I can't agree with this. Yes it is very tragic. I'm a fan of the show and by all accounts he was a lovely person but if, and its a big if at this stage, his death was related to drugs then whilst clearly devastating for his friends and family, imo it cannot be compared to for example the death of a child. There has to be some recognition of some part of accountability otherwise we learn nothing.

Its not my intention to be offensive but having lost a brother younger than Corey in tragic circumstances things like this make me angry as I see it as such a bloody waste.

I understand he fought very hard against his demons and he and his family most certainly didn't deserve this but absolving him of any responsibility does him and others like him a disservice imo. Even if it makes one other person stop and think and not go down that road then its worth not brushing it under the carpet.

I'm sorry for your loss.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont think thats what they mean and I disagree anyway, I've also lost a brother younger than Corey in tragic circumstances. The devastation I felt was the same as my friend who lost her brother to drug abuse. The manner of the death isn't really relevant imo, the person is still dead and has left behind a huge hole and hell for their family to go through. Berating and blaming people for their own death isn't going to achieve anything. Do you honestly think people hooked on drugs stop and pay attention to that sort of thing, the death itself is more likely to have an impact rather than what people think of the dead person.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I still can't seem to process the news. I am such a huge Glee fan and absolutely adore Lea so I just feel so sad for her, his family and his friends and all the Glee fans.

I've seen on twitter they were due to get married in 2 weeks, but I don't think this is true, think it was just another rumour. I also saw a picture of a girl who looked like Lea crying on a coffin which was pretty obviously a soldier being repatriated and it said "lea michele today" so I won't believe everything I see on twitter.

Such a tragic circumstance. I keep hoping that his death isn't related to drugs/alcohol because he really was working so hard to get better.

I also cannot see how Glee can ever recover from this. They couldn't just ignore the death of a main cast member, but if I were Lea, Mark, Matthew, Harry, Amber, Chris etc I wouldnt want to 'act' the death of someone who is actually dead in real life and a close friend to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puppylove7 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss.

thank you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    I dont think thats what they mean and I disagree anyway, I've also lost a brother younger than Corey in tragic circumstances. The devastation I felt was the same as my friend who lost her brother to drug abuse. The manner of the death isn't really relevant imo, the person is still dead and has left behind a huge hole and hell for their family to go through. Berating and blaming people for their own death isn't going to achieve anything. Do you honestly think people hooked on drugs stop and pay attention to that sort of thing, the death itself is more likely to have an impact rather than what people think of the dead person.

We'll have to agree to differ. I believe the manner of a persons death can be highly emotive to the ones they leave behind and can actually have a huge impact on whether people can ever find peace afterwards. I don't think the tone of my post could be accused of berating or blaming but neither does it serve a purpose to ignore the possible reasons behind a death.

Its a stupid bloody waste when a young person dies in such circumstances and saying so doesn't imply that the grief suffered by those around them is any less.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its a stupid bloody waste when a young person dies in such circumstances and saying so doesn't imply that the grief suffered by those around them is any less.

We don't know how or why he died yet.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no need to give any perspective. A death of any person is equally devastating, be it a young child or a young man dying of an accidental OD. I would bet, that Cory's loved ones would appreciate, if they would be able to grieve out of the public eye. The paparazzi will hound Lea to get the first pictures of her out and about.

As for Cory, no matter how he died, he was a good man. I've heard tens of stories of him going out of his way to help out other people. In fan meetings he has wiated with some fans for their parents to pick them up, given lifts to people without lifts, , he has been praised by everyone around him about what a wonderful person he was.

Just because he was unable to kick his addiction (and he actually really tried) which he picked up when he was still a child (13-14), and perhaps died due to the addiction makes his death no less tragic. There is no need to call people out, when they are shocked over his death, he and his personality touched many people during his short life, of course people are going to react.

Very well said.