Film4 - scrambled channel?

NorthPoleNorthPole Posts: 122
Forum Member
I've noticed recently that on tuning to Film4, a message briefly appears against a black screen to the effect that the channel is scrambled. This then disppears after a few seconds and all is well.

Has anyone else noticed this? - I'm on Crystal Palace TX incidentally.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it actually say "unavailable or scrambled"? I get that on odd occasions when tuning into a channel. Only very briefly as the Humax sorts itself out. I think it is simply taking a little time to "lock on" to the data stream correctly and while it is it throws up that message.

As long as it vanishes I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. If it was to stay on screen and not go away then that is a different matter.
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Does it actually say "unavailable or scrambled"? I get that on odd occasions when tuning into a channel. Only very briefly as the Humax sorts itself out. I think it is simply taking a little time to "lock on" to the data stream correctly and while it is it throws up that message.

As long as it vanishes I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. If it was to stay on screen and not go away then that is a different matter.

Had that before signal strength was increased but not since then,I'm on CP as well
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob1942 wrote: »
    Had that before signal strength was increased but not since then,I'm on CP as well
    Only see it very occasionally and even then barely long enough to register what it says, usually no longer than 1-2secs. And only when first tuning into a programme. Actually thinking about it, it might only happen when going from a channel on one mux to a channel on a different mux. (I receive off Hannington).
  • NorthPoleNorthPole Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

I think it does, but I will have to check again should the message reappear. Glad to learn it's not just me who sees it though!
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I've had the same "problem" on most channels from the Waltham transmitter. Usually the message goes in a couple of seconds. Failing that changing channels usually sorts it. As chrisjr says - I wouldn't bother about it unless the message stays on screen a long time.
  • NorthPoleNorthPole Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I'm not losing any sleep over it, but there was a suggestion in another Humax forum that the message might signify impending tuner failure!
  • Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NorthPole wrote: »
    I'm not losing any sleep over it, but there was a suggestion in another Humax forum that the message might signify impending tuner failure!

Somebody scaremongering by the sounds of it, or a suggestion that has been misinterpreted as fact.