PS4 to have DRM after all...

TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
Forum Member
✭✭
Looks like things aren't so simple after all:

Sony will be allowing 3rd party publishers (who make the most popular cross-platform games) to implement DRM schemes after all.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4419566/sony-jack-tretton-publishers-can-choose-to-enforce-drm

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No different to the PS3, and not really like MS with its 24hour check-ins and potential re-sale restrictions.

Sony: Third-Party DRM Refers to Playing Used Games Online Only
    Game Front wrote:
    This morning, there were some apparent cracks in the strong positions Sony staked out at their press conference last night.

During an interview with GameTrailers, Jack Tretton said that, “The DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it’s not something we’re going to control, or dictate, or mandate, or implement.” The internet immediately exploded, with many on Twitter accusing Sony of walking back their statements from the presser last night.

Rather than speculate, we went directly to Sony to find out what’s going on. Turns out, it’s a very similar system to what’s in place on the PS3 now. According to Dan Race, Senior Director, Corporate Communications for Sony, Tretton’s statements were referring specifically to playing used games online. He told me,
    The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.

This is good news for gamers, indeed. In a nutshell, you can but a used single-player game for the PS4 and play it all you want. If you want to go online with it, you may have to deal with some sort of publisher-determined DRM, be it an Online Pass or whatever.

I think we can put our pitchforks down for now.

Copyright © 2002-2012 Game Front. All rights reserved.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    So just an online pass like at the moment really?
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No different from now then?
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Going by that, the PS3 and the Xbox 360 already has the same DRM.You see publishers already have too much power.

Makes MSFT's approach even more insane.

Bottom line is with the PS4 things remain exactly the same as they are now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, no worse than now.

- No 24 hour check-ins.

- No re-sale restrictions.

- No Online Passes for 1st party games.

- 3rd party publishers can use Online Passes for people wanting to play a used game online.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he said it they way I understood it was it's just the same as we have on PS3 and 360 currently.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Sony say this in February...
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, that's a relief then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We already knew this before E3. Nothing really any different to the way it is now.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's exactly the same as the current gen.
    Any publisher trying to implement DRM in the sense it exists on XB1 would have to deal with the fact that PS4 works offline and they'd need to mount an awareness campaign and have big off-putting warnings on any title that did it or face real problems at retail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Sony say this in February...
    Yes they did.

As others have said it is exactly like now.

And isn't DRM, really and good news that Sony is dropping Online Passes.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Good news that Sony is dropping Online Passes.

And so they should now they are implementing a console wide online pass for all online games.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Of course the PS4 was going to have DRM, the PS3 had DRM,the PS2 had DRM and the PSone had DRM otherwise these systems could play burned games out of the box. What people have a problem is, is with DRM that requires an internet connection to function. DRM that prevents the transfer of discs (not copy) like Microsoft xbox one solution. It is anti-consumer and will in the long term damage the preservation of titles released for the Xbox One.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish MS would go back to this method for used games and drop the online checks, I don't buy used but I do sell my games.

If the status Que remains then I think it'll be PS4 for sure, simply because I don't think the X1 will do to well as it is.

I'm saddened by what ms have done.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, MS need to just change a couple of policies to be gamer friendly and it goes back to being more even despite the £80 difference in my view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Found out something REALLY exciting today :D Sony have conformed they plan to continue to focus on indie developers, but today I found oout that one of those will be the Oddworld makers!!!! Anyone who fondly remembers those on PS1 like I do and how Xbox destroyed them, can only be thrilled by this :D
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Honestly, MS need to just change a couple of policies to be gamer friendly and it goes back to being more even despite the £80 difference in my view.

Agreed. With some of the exclusives they've got at launch, I would be happy to take a chance with the X1, if only they'd backtrack on those few things.
  • SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. With some of the exclusives they've got at launch, I would be happy to take a chance with the X1, if only they'd backtrack on those few things.

The £80 difference is huge like.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found out something REALLY exciting today :D Sony have conformed they plan to continue to focus on indie developers, but today I found oout that one of those will be the Oddworld makers!!!! Anyone who fondly remembers those on PS1 like I do and how Xbox destroyed them, can only be thrilled by this :D

Why do the oddworld makers have to be indie? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. If the PS4 had come in at £399 I might have been able to accept the difference, but not £349 versus £429.

I'm still shocked that the prices are that way round this time.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    No online DRM means a PS4 for me, hopefully there won't be a problem of region coding and imports will work as the do now on PS3. I love their video demonstrating how to share games on PS4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA :D
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    No online DRM means a PS4 for me, hopefully there won't be a problem of region coding and imports will work as the do now on PS3. I love their video demonstrating how to share games on PS4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA :D

I think someone with Sony said the PS4 will be region free so that's good news there.

I think region locking should be removed from all consoles, it's completely pointless for the games market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    PS4 will be region-free BUT the DLC will probably be region-locked (as it is now).
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EA has already come out publicly about doing away with Online Passes for their games. This will leave them in a pickle. No way are they going to allow people who buy second hand to use their online servers without some kind of charge.

They were surely banking on Sony copying MS in terms of DRM.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Why do the oddworld makers have to be indie? :confused:

Because Lorne Lanning didn't like being tied with EA or Microsoft and actually despised some of the choices they forced upon the games.