Sony KDL40EX503 Discussions

Hi All,

This is my 1st post so bear with me. I did try a search before posting this but to no avail.

So I am hoping this can become a dicussion thread on the recently produced Sony KDL-40EX503 LCD TV if that is allowable.

I managed to get mine from John Lewis priced matched to Robert Whyte Ltd for £814 and am so far very pleased with it.

However I have a couple of questions which I am hoping someone here can help me with:

1. Can the set be turned off rather than left in standby other than at the plug socket.

2. Will any Wifi dongle other than Sony's own work with this TV.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    imanewby wrote: »
    1. Can the set be turned off rather than left in standby other than at the plug socket.

I've not seen that new model yet - but all the older ones have a standby mode (via the remote) leaving the red LED on, and able to bring it ON from the remote. Plus they have an ON/OFF switch on the TV itself, which shuts the set down considerably more - but not completely, it's sort of a very low power standby, and can only be brought back on from the button on the set.

It's VERY rare for flat screen TV's to have mechanical ON/OFF switches, mainly only the cheap nasty ones do (like Vestel) - and usually round the back of the set.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ex703 has a switch on the side so i guess the 503 has one too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Mine has an On/Off switch on the side but this still leaves it in StandBy.

Any info on the WiFi dongle.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the quick replies.

What, in standby so you can bring it back on with the remote?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The TV will only have the WiFi driver for one particular type of chipset in its firmware.

So until someone, possibly who retails Sony TVs, has a hold of one and can plug it into a PC to identify it's chipset then it will be a very over-priced Sony genuine item only (assuming they even retail them in the UK).
    Forum Member
    What, in standby so you can bring it back on with the remote?.

Yes, can still be turned on by the remote.
    Forum Member
    PlayerUK wrote: »
    The TV will only have the WiFi driver for one particular type of chipset in its firmware.

So until someone, possibly who retails Sony TVs, has a hold of one and can plug it into a PC to identify it's chipset then it will be a very over-priced Sony genuine item only (assuming they even retail them in the UK).

Looks like i will have to wait and just use a cable for now.
    Forum Member
    Yes, can still be turned on by the remote.

Just standby then, and totally different to all previous Sony LCD's - presumably it's a new 'super low' standy system?.

I've just checked the service manual, not much help - it doesn't give any circuits at all, or even specifications. Presumably (and hopefully) a proper manual will be released later?.
    Forum Member

Just popped in a Sony store, the guy reckons he has tried a few dongles and none have worked. He suggested trying a Linksys as these are made by the same people as the Sony one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Just popped in a Sony store, the guy reckons he has tried a few dongles and none have worked. He suggested trying a Linksys as these are made by the same people as the Sony one.

Have just tried a Buffalo dongle and no joy, so have just used the wired connection. Having looked at the Sony supplied media content can't believe I bothered anyway, very 'US-centric' didn't recognise most fo the channels they were offering. Those that I did recognise I wasn't exactly blown away with, video trailers from Lovefilm is not my idea of entertainment.

True the TV can now see my NAS hard drive, but file support is very limited. Some things I can show are my jpeg pics but the Tv cannot read the exif file info so cannot rotate portrait photos properly.

As it stands I would say the network component of this TV is nothing more than a gimmick.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Josem,

Is BBC Iplayer available and if so did you get it to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it doesn't switch the TV off. . . Any idea what it does do?
    Forum Member
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    So it doesn't switch the TV off. . . Any idea what it does do?

If you can bring it back on from the remote, then it's just putting the set in to standby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A switch to put the tv into standby seems incredibly unlikely. I would rather a reply from someone who actually knows the answer.
    Forum Member
    A switch to put the tv into standby seems incredibly unlikely. I would rather a reply from someone who actually knows the answer.

The switch on the side just put the TV into standby.

I asked Sony the question about a full turn off and they said it should not be turned off just left in standby to allow updates to occur. They also claimed if it was turned off at the mains it might take longer to re-activate and might also lose its settings.
    Forum Member

Why would it be unlikely?, otherwise if you lose the remote do you leave the set running?.

As I've mentioned previously, older Sony sets enter a 'super-low' standby when you press the button on the TV, and can't be bought back on from the remote.

I don't think any Sony LCD's have had ON/OFF switches, only the Vestel types seem to.
  • bigsisbigsis Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've just been onto John Lewis in Liverpool as I'm hoping to buy this tv this week sometime and they have refused to price match with Robert Whyte Ltd saying that it wouldn't be worth it once the delivery charge and guarantee has been added.

Has anything like this happened to anyone here? I asked them to price match with Robert Whyte as the OP had managed to get there's this way but they didn't want to know and I want to get it from JL as I want the 5yr guarantee.

I'm a but pi$$ed off to say the least :mad:
  • NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a Samsung plasma from John Lewis price-matched to Richer Sounds last year - and they tried to add Richer Sounds' delivery charge and five year warranty cost to the price, which would have added an extra eighty quid to the listed price.

I told them I didn't want it delivering, and didn't want the warranty, at which point they agreed to charge me purely what Richer Sounds were selling the TV at. Then they gave me the warranty anyway (even though I had to go collect the TV in person from the store). Total saving, about £170.

Your local John Lewis should offer the same...
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigsis wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've just been onto John Lewis in Liverpool as I'm hoping to buy this tv this week sometime and they have refused to price match with Robert Whyte Ltd saying that it wouldn't be worth it once the delivery charge and guarantee has been added.

Has anything like this happened to anyone here? I asked them to price match with Robert Whyte as the OP had managed to get there's this way but they didn't want to know and I want to get it from JL as I want the 5yr guarantee.

I'm a but pi$$ed off to say the least :mad:

Phone the head office (0207 828 1000 ) and see what they have to say . Their price promise says they will match the price of any local store.I assume Robert Whyte is local to the John Lewis branch?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    Phone the head office (0207 828 1000 ) and see what they have to say . Their price promise says they will match the price of any local store.I assume Robert Whyte is local to the John Lewis branch?

No Robert Whyte is based up in Scotland, I used their website as the OP had done so, the OP may live in Scotland so managed to get theirs price matched.

Will they price match only if the store selling the cheaper item is in the local area?
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigsis wrote: »
    No Robert Whyte is based up in Scotland, I used their website as the OP had done so, the OP may live in Scotland so managed to get theirs price matched.

Will they price match only if the store selling the cheaper item is in the local area?

Give the head office a call and see what they say. They may be able to do it if you are lucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    Give the head office a call and see what they say. They may be able to do it if you are lucky.

Thank you ruddiger, I've just got off the phone to a lovely lady in head office who is going to pass my complaint on to the head of CS in Liverpool. I should hear something in the next few days. Fingers crossed I may get something.

Thank you again for providing the phone number.
    Forum Member
    Hi Bigsis,

I got John Lewis (Solihull, West Midlands) to price match with Robert Whyte (Glasgow) because there is a John Lewis store near the Robert Whyte store in Glasgow.

They priced matched but added the delivery charge even though I collected the TV myself from Solihull because if I had got it from Robert Whyte I would of had to pay for the delivery.

I paid £814.98 which was £789.99 + £24.99 Robert Whyte price and delivery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Bigsis,

I got John Lewis (Solihull, West Midlands) to price match with Robert Whyte (Glasgow) because there is a John Lewis store near the Robert Whyte store in Glasgow.

They priced matched but added the delivery charge even though I collected the TV myself from Solihull because if I had got it from Robert Whyte I would of had to pay for the delivery.

I paid £814.98 which was £789.99 + £24.99 Robert Whyte price and delivery.

Hi imanewby

Sorry again for hijacking your thread, the price you have quoted including delivery is what I gave head office, maybe I should have quoted the price without delivery I don't know. If the store in West Midlands price matched then hopefully Liverpool will do the same but I'm not holding my breath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had phone call and that have agreed to price match so I'm a happy bunny. Can't wait to buy it now :D