The White Queen discussion thread

moondewmoondew Posts: 565
Forum Member
✭✭
There will be a new 10-part drama on BBC1 called The White Queen, set in the time of the Wars of the Roses. It's based on the series of novels called Cousin's War by Philippa Gregory, and focuses on the women caught up in the conflict for the throne.

It looks as if it will be really good from the description on the Beeb's site - can someone put a link to it please, I'm using a tablet and haven't worked out how to do that yet :o

With all this interest in Richard III, the series should get a lot of viewers. Let's hope it's a good one.

Comments

• fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the books can't wait.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Here's the BBC link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/white-queen.html

I run an Andrew Gower (Monroe, Being Human, Frankenstein's Wedding) site, he's due to play Lord Strange in episode 10 of the series. Here are the news pages about The White Queen from my site: https://andrewgoweractor.wordpress.com/category/in-production/the-white-queen-pages/

The cast list is brilliant:

REBECCA FERGUSON (Elizabeth Woodville, The White Queen)
    MAX IRONS (Edward IV)
    JAMES FRAIN (Lord Warwick)
    JANET MCTEER (Jacquetta of Luxembourg)
    AMANDA HALE (Margaret Beaufort)
    FAYE MARSAY (Anne Neville)
    ANEURIN BARNARD (Richard Duke of Gloucester)
    DAVID OAKES (George Duke of Clarence)
    JULIET AUBREY (Countess of Warwick)
    ELEANOR TOMLINSON (Isabel Neville)
    FRANCES TOMELTY (Lady Beauchamp)
    MICHAEL MALONEY (Henry Stafford)
    CAROLINE GOODALL (Duchess Cecily)
    TOM MCKAY (Jasper Tudor)
    BEN LAMB (Anthony Rivers)
    ROBERT PUGH (Baron Rivers)
    VEERLE BAETENS (Margaret of Anjou)
    NICK HENDRIX (Edmund Beaufort)
    LIZZY MCINNERNY (Lady Sutcliffe)
    LEO BILL (Reginald Bray)
    RUPERT GRAVES (Lord Thomas Stanley)
    SHAUN DOOLEY (Sir Robert Brackenbury)
    FREYA MAVOR (Princess Lizzy)
    ARTHUR DARVILL (Harry Stafford)
    ANDREW GOWER (Lord Strange)

Really looking forward to it!
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Siobhan, you're a star ;)
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait!

When does it air though? I read it's July 31st! That's ages away :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it's sooner than that. It says on the Beeb site that it will be aired in the spring.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    TV and Satellite Week's twitter mentioned Spring yesterday, along with a picture of Aneurin Barnard as Richard III https://twitter.com/TVSatelliteWeek/status/298405771178303488

I'm hoping for around Easter, but nothing definite has been said about the date yet. I actually think it's still filming. July 31st seems unlikely though, for one it's a Wednesday and I'll be very surprised if this doesn't air on a Sunday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it will be well worth watching.
    Forum Member
    Philippa Gregory has said Spring as well on her Facebook page (on the BBC, Autumn on Starz): https://www.facebook.com/PhilippaGregoryOfficialFanPage/posts/425420427534452

I don't know whether July 31st is just something someone has put on Wikipedia as a guesstimate...
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    Here's another one who will be watching. I have read practicaly all of Phillippa Gregory's books so really looking forward to it...
    Forum Member
    An author has tweeted that it will air in May - can't find anything to back this up though. https://twitter.com/PrufrocksPeach/status/298896834426978306
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Bruges a couple of years ago, and have been to the places in the video, so I'm really looking forward to this, thanks for posting the info. :)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to this, it has a fantastic cast and I loved the books that the series is based on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the books, did Philippa Gregory portray Richard of Gloucester as a hunchback? If so, I wonder if the tv series will correct that now that we know that he had scoliosis.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, that's something to look forward to!

I note there's no Henry Tudor in the cast list? Surely if they've got Margaret Beaufort, his mother, H7 would have to be in it?

I saw 'Rebecca Ferguson' and thought of the singer, which seemed bold casting. But the actress chosen looks perfect for what we know of Elizabeth Woodville from her portraits.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope this is soon. I can't wait to watch this.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got high hopes for this too. Like a lot of people I've become addicted to Philippa Gregory, but have read nearly all the Wars of the Roses/Tudor novels. The tv series should at least help me get events, names and chronology straight!
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this too. I haven't read the books, which might be a good thing.
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want to watch this, taking ages though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Pictures and videos of The White Queen's set can be found on my blog: http://www.inbruges.info
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Ooh, that's something to look forward to!

I note there's no Henry Tudor in the cast list? Surely if they've got Margaret Beaufort, his mother, H7 would have to be in it?

I saw 'Rebecca Ferguson' and thought of the singer, which seemed bold casting. But the actress chosen looks perfect for what we know of Elizabeth Woodville from her portraits.

Hi - just to let you know, Michael Marcus has now been cast as Henry Tudor. https://twitter.com/EmmaFrostLondon/status/306900393798008832
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filming finished last week for this. I really want to watch it. There are lots of books coming out between now and the end of April regarding the war of the roses. I hope it airs soon!
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about time this story was told on film - I have never really been able to understand why we have been treated ad nauseam to the Tudors when this whole Wars of the Roses period is so filled with exciting stuff.

I really hope it does the main characters justice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Filming finished last week for this. I really want to watch it. There are lots of books coming out between now and the end of April regarding the war of the roses. I hope it airs soon!

I haven't posted for ages on here, Coming out of lurkdom

What books are coming out fact/ fiction or both? I love this period.

I've just finished reading the Sunne in spender which was fab.

I am now re-reading the white queen. I'm looking forward to the tv show I hope it's good.