iPhone becoming less popular

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Apple owners are becoming less fanatical about their shiny new iPhones. What has put some of them of iPhones? Bad publicity about suing everyone? Lack of innovation? Same unchanged user interface? Poor maps? Smaller screen compared with rivals? People realising Apple are not the only smartphone maker? Perhaps the hipsters see that every chav has an iPhone so its not trendy any more?

Take your pick but Apple might want to pay attention befoe a trickle becomes a flood.
Only 75 per cent of iPhone owners in Western Europe say they'd choose an Apple device for their next smartphone, new data from market watcher Strategy Analytics show. The numbers are relatively healthy Stateside, with 88 per cent of iPhone owners ready to remain loyal. But that's marks a drop from 93 per cent last year.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/31/apple_loyalty_questioned_as_iphone_popularity_drops/

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I use my kid a a barometer here and a year or two ago he refused to accept anything could be as good as an iphone even in the face over overwhelming evidence (and several beatings)

He now has an s3 as the profile of android has increased and he has used mine a lot but "word" on the street well in his school/mates etc the iphone is still the cool phone and this will take a while to change I think. he also still needs the odd reassurance that he has the 'right' phone.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Interestingly Scott Forstall, who headed the iOS division of Apple, who's been let go sent an email round to staff saying he was disappointed by the lack of innovation. I agree. Android really has been showing iOS the way over the last couple of years. And even Windows phone looks pretty slick. iOS is looking a bit tired and dated these days.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen anyone with an iPhone 5 yet.
    When you're on the Tube in the mornings everyone seems to have iPhones/and or Blackberrys.
    I don't think I've seen anyone with an S3 either.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    When you're on the Tube in the mornings everyone seems to have iPhones/and or Blackberrys.

I spent last week in Canary Wharf and I was amazed at how many iphones (both 4 & 5) I saw, almost everyone had one. I saw a couple of S3 but nowhere even close to the number of iphones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I somehow think Apple will be pretty happy with the sales figures.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dare say cost is an issue given the current climes.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

I dont live in a busy city, but since the iphone 5 has been released i have been many places and many airports and i have only seen 1 iphone 5. My dads!

Must confess i haven't seen that many S3's just walking about but, when i was on the plane to Greece at the beginning of this month, it was like Samsung had sponsored the flight! Every second person seemed to have either an S2 or S3.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I somehow think Apple will be pretty happy with the sales figures.

I'm sure they will be but when even their loyal fan base starts to mutter they ought to start taking care.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everyone i see has the iphone 4, i feel quite left out with my S2 :( lol, so still very popular in my opinion
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I've had iPhones for my last 2 contracts but I'm looking at upgrading to a Nokia Lumia for my next contract. The cost has put me off more than anything. It would cost me over £150 to upgrade to just an iPhone4. 4S and 5 obviously more, when they offer very little to warrant that price.

Windows Phone 8 looks smart so I will try that out. I'm not a fan of Android, but I played with an S3 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with it.

iMacs, iPads and iPods are Apples best products. Hopefully they'll concentrate on them a bit more than the iPhone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I'm sure they will be but when even their loyal fan base starts to mutter they ought to start taking care.

I don't disagree. :)
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Also, my mate who is properly in to Apple products has had his iPhone 5 for about 3 weeks and said the other day that he's a bit bored with it.

I personally haven't upgraded to iOS6 yet - I've used it and thought it was a step backwards. I really think the poor job they did on iOS6 has made people think about alternatives. Personally, the innovative design of live tiles on Windows Phones interests me more than the aging apps interface that iOS and Android offer.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I dare say cost is an issue given the current climes.
    That hasn't stopped anything in the past few years when we've been in the same, actually probably worse condition.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Interestingly Scott Forstall, who headed the iOS division of Apple, who's been let go sent an email round to staff saying he was disappointed by the lack of innovation. I agree. Android really has been showing iOS the way over the last couple of years. And even Windows phone looks pretty slick. iOS is looking a bit tired and dated these days.

Have you got a ref for this?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everyone i see has the iphone 4, i feel quite left out with my S2 :( lol, so still very popular in my opinion

or 4S. The only 5 i've seen is a work dev one.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in IT and among my clients there has been a massive backlash with regards to issues in iOS6. Most people are saying they'll never buy another Apple product again after this. It remains to be seen if they will follow through when their contracts end, but I've never heard so many complain about Apple products before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not an iPhone user myself but know a lot of people that have/had one and over half have moved over to Android or a Windows phone now. Most of them have said the iPhone 5 doesn't do enough to warrant the cost (their words not mine)

Also a lot of them are trying to save monthly outgoings and opt for cheaper, but just as good, alternatives.

I think its probably a simple case of there being more choice of smartphones now then ever.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people I see seem to have an iPhone 4/4S or blackberry. I have seen the odd Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 but not a great amount.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen anyone with a Windows phone either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen anyone with a Windows phone either.

Yeah I see them now and again, they aren't very popular though.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect a lot of people that ordered them may still not have received them. The o2 stock checker still shows almost no stock of the 16MB model available in any of the stores I've checked.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After launching a very innovative product, and having a great marketing department, it was easy to convince early adopters that no other phone was as good. No one actually wants to think they've bought a bad product, so they were pushing on an open door.

After several years of minimal innovation (major disappointment at the launch of the 4S and 5 as far as I can see) both Android and Windows are newer and more exciting. Apple's marketing department is doing a great job if 75% of Apple owners think their next product will be from Apple!

Unless you are fully bought into the Apple eco-system and have multiple products, it must be very tempting to switch to a cheaper product that (in my opinion) does more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After launching a very innovative product, and having a great marketing department, it was easy to convince early adopters that no other phone was as good. No one actually wants to think they've bought a bad product, so they were pushing on an open door.

No convincing was required, the iPhone 3G was unique and by far the best phone out at the time, I upgraded from a Nokia N95 and it was so much better, a real innovation.

The iPhone 4/4S was a good upgrade, nothing major but really speeded things up.

The iPhone 5 is a great piece of hardware but the OS just isn't moving as fast as the competition, I think it woud actually sell better if it coud run jelly bean and didn't have the silly price tag.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you consider you could have both the 8gb Nexus 4 and a 16gb for less than the price of a 16gb iPhone5 its easy to see why.