iPhone still showing deleted contacts in msging?

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A bit of a problem why is it I can delete a contact under the contacts list but when I compose a text message when I start typing in the number it has the option of selecting the deleted number ?

Comments

• davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happens on every iPhone mate, not sure if it's an iOS5 problem or just any iOS but there's loads on the Internet about it. Personally it bugs the tits off me but there's nothing that can be done about it unfortunately :(
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's rubbish I'm trying to get an Ex out of my head and phone and I type in a letter and she appears RUBBISH !
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make a clean cut, get another phone (not Apple) ;)
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha yes I was in exactly the same position as the OP last year. Sometimes contacts fail to delete because other apps are using the contacts list, eg, Facebook, viber etc. I second Gonzo's suggestion of using the Spring Cleaning app - it works a treat.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it does delete the contact off the contact list agree, but it dosnt when I compose a text

Eg I have deleted a contact name Donna smith when I go to compose a text to Darren capon I put the letter D in first and it brings up everyone whose name starts with D including Donna Smith !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As above, do you have Facebook linked to your iPhone, and is Donna Smith a contact on there?

EDIT: I just tried to compose a text using a contact and it auto filled the name. I then deleted the contact, started to compose a text again, and it no longer auto filled the name. Not sure why yours is still doing it.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I don't have this issue myself on iPhone 5, but saw this.
    I spoke to Apple Tech Support today as I have the same problem with my iPhone 4 which I updated to iOS6 about 2 weeks ago. They told me is down to the new operating system......If you have stored a contact in "Contacts" and previously sent them SMS messages or emails and then delete the name in "Contacts", this will remove the name from "Contacts", but like a computer it will save that number in the overall memory of the phone. Hence when you go to "Messages" and type in the name of deleted contact it shows the name and the persons number is still there showing as "other". The only way to remove this is to do a full reset in your iPhone to earse all contents and data. Then it will resolve the issue. I'm due to get an iPhone 5 and this same issue will appear on the iPhone 5 if I repeat the above. So to avoid this is to only put contacts in your phone if you know that you won't delete them. However we all know that probably won't happen as in time we all delete contacts for various reasons which means the number will still remain in the overall phone me memory. Its a pain, but something Apple says is not a fault and just iOS6. Hope that helps.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok satman I see. All I can tell you is I had the same problem and it did go away but i cant remember which specific change got rid of it. Have you tried rebooting iMessage?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That explanation sounds like rubbish to me.
  • timmoncastertimmoncaster Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    It's right getting on my boobs lol! Any news on a fix?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's right getting on my boobs lol! Any news on a fix?

I still can't replictate this on my iPhone 5. I just deleted a contact that had an active message thread in the Messages app. When I went back to Messages, the name had disappeared from the message thread and it was just showing the number. I began a new message and started to type the name in the 'To' field but it didn't try to autocomplete it.

Are you sure you're not sharing your address book with Facebook or some other service?
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had this problem when someone has changed their number it updates on the contacts but when composing a message it shows the old number as well