First, Silurians, Now, Ice Warriors" to "First, Silurians, Now... (SPOILERS)

Dex_BracewellDex_Bracewell Posts: 155
Forum Member
Firstly, I know monsters have been redesigned (the Daleks and the Cybermen), but they got used to it for nearly 50 years.

The Silurians however was redesigned 2 years ago into a less evil, more human-like creature and they wore masks that actually could have been their actual faces. But then they had to take them off. As bad as the costumes were back in the day and claims that they were fat, they were actually evil enough to give a great form of storytelling.

No offence to the Moffat fans but now the Ice Warriors may be returning, this could be another disaster of getting rid of Classic Series continuity and designers will make them even more people-like.

So, what do you think, a similar form like the Sontarans in 2008 did or yet another transformation into reptile-skinned humans?

Comments

• ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Personally I find the new Silurians too far removed from the old ones. I know there is an in-story explanation of them being a different branch of the species, but they could basically be a totally different race.

I'm not sure if the
    Ice Warriors redesign will be so dramatic, but I did read some where that, they still have the red eyes in their masks (like 1970s sunglasses design) and the hard outer body is established as armour and we see the creature underneath.

I'm trying to find a link to this information. I posted the link in another thread so hopefully I can locate it and post it here. :)
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you chage the title please and mark it as speculation or possible spoilers to prevent upsetting people who avoid spoilers
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the Ice Warriors returning? This is news to me. (though I do accept that I do not need to be consulted on every aspect of the show's current production)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think modernising any monster has its risks. The new Silurians were a disappointment, I think, but then I don't feel the story did them justice either.

The masks they wore were pretty good, I thought. Although this made them look more 'Sea Devil' than Silurian. But their actual faces were far too human.

I recently watched the original Silurian story from the Pertwee area. The big reveal in the story was that they were not aliens but an earth species pre-dating humans. But, bizarrely, this revelation is never really given a dramatic moment and just gets lost in the mix.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

The masks they wore were pretty good, I thought. Although this made them look more 'Sea Devil' than Silurian.

More Sleestak than anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoiler tags are your friend, Dex. Use them, and don't put spoilers in thread titles.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The Silurians however was redesigned 2 years ago into a less evil, more human-like creature and they wore masks that actually could have been their actual faces. But then they had to take them off. As bad as the costumes were back in the day and claims that they were fat, they were actually evil enough to give a great form of storytelling.
    Making the Silurians antagonists, but not actually evil, was a good twist and gets to the heart of what makes the Silurian conflict interesting - it's a turf war, not conquest for the sake of it. They're doing what they have to do to survive. I wish they could have done it with a more political, Middle-East-style twist, but perhaps that would have been too heavy-handed.

I was also disappointed with their face - although I completely understand that they have to have human-like eyes in order to make the acting more effective and emotive, but I wish they could have worked out some reptilian contact lenses or something,.
  • Dex_BracewellDex_Bracewell Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Are the Ice Warriors returning? This is news to me. (though I do accept that I do not need to be consulted on every aspect of the show's current production)

It was reported below on Digital Spy yesterday.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a388335/doctor-who-villains-the-ice-warriors-to-feature-in-series-seven.html
    Forum Member
    alwatson wrote: »
    Spoiler tags are your friend, Dex. Use them, and don't put spoilers in thread titles.

I wish I could change the title now. It would be great if somebody told me how to change the title. But thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Click edit at the bottom of your first post (if you can)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually evil enough to give a great form of storytelling.

No offence to the Moffat fans but now the Ice Warriors may be returning, this could be another disaster of getting rid of Classic Series continuity and designers will make them even more people-like.
    ?

haven't you seen Curse and Monstor of Peladon ? the Ice Lord was very much like a person the old Ice Warriors design simply wouldn't work today and needs re-designing. But if the Ice Warriors are coming back then I suggest you wait and see what they look like and the episode before making a judgement on them.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could change the title now. It would be great if somebody told me how to change the title. But thank you.

you could try clicking the alert button on your opening post and asking the mods if they are able to do it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Surely I can't be the only one that thought the Silurians in series 5 and 6 looked absolutely fantastic? Amazing costume and makeup.

But then again, I'd never seen them before then, so I'm not automatically comparing against a previous vision of them.
    And wearing heavy rose-tinted spectacles. ;)
    Forum Member
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    haven't you seen Curse and Monstor of Peladon ? the Ice Lord was very much like a person the old Ice Warriors design simply wouldn't work today and needs re-designing. But if the Ice Warriors are coming back then I suggest you wait and see what they look like and the episode before making a judgement on them.

Yes. I do agree he is human-like. And I have to confess I never looked into the Peladon stories so I only just found out that the Ice Warriors ruled against violence. And of course they will need to be redesigned, but that's the reason why I created this thread (because the designers could go against a previous vision, like Fire Host said, just like they did with the Silurians.) So I'll see what they'll look like.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Fire Host wrote: »
    ...Surely I can't be the only one that thought the Silurians in series 5 and 6 looked absolutely fantastic? Amazing costume and makeup.

But then again, I'd never seen them before then, so I'm not automatically comparing against a previous vision of them.
    And wearing heavy rose-tinted spectacles. ;)

No, you're not the only one. I have liked all the updated looks of any of the monsters -yes, even the Daleks!- but I think especially the Silurians. They are supposed to have evolved just like us, and there are plenty of examples of convergant evolution on the planet already. So them being 'too human', to me makes no sense!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fire Host wrote: »

Well, I liked Madame Vastra. Too much, maybe....

Seriously, I agree, I thought the Silurian make-up and costumes were excellent. But then I don't think Classic Who aliens and monsters are sacrosanct. The new Cybermen and Daleks didn't bother me at all.

(Though if Alpha Centauri returns he/she/it better be exactly the same, or I will be mad!)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I liked Madame Vastra. Too much, maybe....

Seriously, I agree, I thought the Silurian make-up and costumes were excellent. But then I don't think Classic Who aliens and monsters are sacrosanct. The new Cybermen and Daleks didn't bother me at all.

(Though if Alpha Centauri returns he/she/it better be exactly the same, or I will be mad!)

I agree also, I thought they looked pretty good. I do think at times fandom gets a bit precious about these things *shrugs*

The biggest plus point of the redesign was to allow them to actually be characters rather than just creatures lumbering around, imho.