iPad Series Four is expensive to connect

brightonjohnbrightonjohn Posts: 499
Forum Member
Why do I have to buy a different connector (at £25 each) for SD, Micro SD, Camera, etc.
And don't tell me that I don't as I am surrounded by various offerings from eBay - some of which partially allow the iPad to be seen by a PC, some of which connect and then tell me the micro SD has no photos (because?) its sitting in an integral Micro SD Adapter (which works perfectly in my dear old DELL laptop).
In fact I have one fully working device - the SD card reader and I had to buy that from the apple store. Anything else from anywhere else is only likely to work partly or be dismissed by the iPad as a non apple product.
I love the iPad but I hate the way that Apple treat me. I guess that for another £25 I can use my micro SD card as well as the SD card. But why can't the iPad see the micro SD card in the adapter that it came with and which should make it look like an ordinary SD card?

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Why do I have to buy a different connector (at £25 each) for SD, Micro SD, Camera, etc.
    And don't tell me that I don't as I am surrounded
    by various offerings from eBay - .....
    You don't! There is NO way the iPad can detect the difference between micro-SD in a converter and a full-size SD card!

The cheap 3rd-party iPad camera dongles can be a pain to get working but I have never failed to get one going after a few attempts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    If I remember those 3rd party ones you can buy on ebay from hong kong etc were all switched off at software level with V5.0 of ios

You are better of buying one of the wifi enabled card readers.
  • brightonjohnbrightonjohn Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    You don't! There is NO way the iPad can detect the difference between micro-SD in a converter and a full-size SD card!

Why can't I see any photos then - it says - 'no photos'?

The cheap 3rd-party iPad camera dongles can be a pain to get working but I have never failed to get one going after a few attempts!

What was it you attempted - I mean - what is an attempt?
  • brightonjohnbrightonjohn Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    If I remember those 3rd party ones you can buy on ebay from hong kong etc were all switched off at software level with V5.0 of ios

You are better of buying one of the wifi enabled card readers.

Can you say more about 'wifi enabled card readers' please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Can you say more about 'wifi enabled card readers' please.

sorry i meant wifi enabled cards, not readers, silly typo, like the sandisk eye-fi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4NaqXaifddU#!

Myself, I use cloud storage, then you do not have to use cards at all.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I do think its mean of Apple to charge £25 per adaptor - for my old iPad one I have the camera connection kit which included both USB and SD card reader for £25... I used the USB for a USB equipped MIDI keyboard and GarageBand, and the card reader took micro SD cards with an adaptor.

However, the lightning port is quite advanced as ports go, and much of the 'intelligence' of the port is built into the various adapters that can be plugged in (not to mention that they can be plugged in upside down).

Eye-fi is definitely a way forward though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Honestly I don't understand why people still need SD card...16-32 giga are always enough for me. Anytime I download a big game or big movie to my iPad I would just delete the previous one. What's the point keeping old apps that we never even use anymore?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    Personally, I do think its mean of Apple to charge £25 per adaptor - for my old iPad one I have the camera connection kit which included both USB and SD card reader for £25.
    Lightning 3rd-party camera connector kits seem to be available on eBay for similar prices to the old-30pin ones (about £3-£4)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Honestly I don't understand why people still need SD card...16-32 giga are always enough for me. Anytime I download a big game or big movie to my iPad I would just delete the previous one. What's the point keeping old apps that we never even use anymore?

Maybe some people want to keep the old game on when they download a new one? :D