4OD and Demand 5 Delayed

derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/4od-and-demand-5-launch-delayed-until-early-2013/
Following recent updates from both Channel 4 and Five, we now know that 4OD and Demand 5 won’t be launching on the service until early 2013. We did hope to launch both On Demand services before Christmas and have been working closely with the teams at Humax and the broadcasters to this end, but unfortunately this hasn’t been possible. Work on the technology that manages the delivery of the programmes via the internet and the software inside the receiver to manage the video play back has taken longer than anticipated. 4OD and Demand 5 also require additional content protection for their programming which is a complex technology that the development teams are still working through.

We know this will be disappointing news, but we have confidence from both broadcasters that all efforts are being made to launch these services as soon as possible in the new year.

As we know more we’ll update you.

Comments

• 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a year's time I'm sure this will all be forgotten as Freetime will have the players in place. Bearing in mind the debacles with ITV Player not coming to many boxes when it was promised, this is not great too and will probably deter the rightly-cautious.

I'm also amazed that it's so hard to get catch-up services onto a box. Especially as Virgin Media has had them for years. Even today, Sky does not have 4OD despite being ahead of the game on many other technological fronts.
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4OD have just added their app to the Windows 8 store. :)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, MORE MIPS burned on DRM?! When the access points are controlled...

How about the studios being A LITTLE LESS PARANOID?!

How to piss off your viewers and push them into the arms of the pirates 101..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell, the product has a dedicated crypto accelerator, so it doesn't impact performance to have security on content.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - but my point still stands. Still really hacked off with how Big Media seems to always want the moon on a stick rather than maybe *trusting* the viewer a bit..

In other words, forcing people to work around the issue instead of.. I dunno.. embracing it?
    If the security on Youview clients is good enough for the Beeb, why is Channel 4 objecting, for instance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4oD's problem wasn't specifically DRM, they are also wanted/needed adaptive streaming to give users the highest quality for their connection. The connected TV iPlayer doesn't use that technique currently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Humax Freesat+ recorder. Are 4OD and Demand 5 likely to appear on that as well at some point or will it see nothing new and just remain with iPlayer and ITV Player?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other broadcasters haven't indicated that they want to use MHEG-ICS for catch-up services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK upgrade on the cards then. Just trying to find a user guide online for the new Freetime HDR 1000s
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriyo wrote: »
    OK upgrade on the cards then. Just trying to find a user guide online for the new Freetime HDR 1000s

You don't really get a user guide, it's a small guide basically just covering the G2 guide operation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't really get a user guide, it's a small guide basically just covering the G2 guide operation.

Sure. Just wanted to find details on the network settings and whether they are the same as for the Foxsat HDR. I have to give my devices their own IP address instead of using DHCP.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure. Just wanted to find details on the network settings and whether they are the same as for the Foxsat HDR. I have to give my devices their own IP address instead of using DHCP.

Thanks to Barry at My Humax the guide is downloadable from here.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/product-support

It won't help with your query though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Barry at My Humax the guide is downloadable from here.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/product-support

It won't help with your query though :D

No I see it doesn't! I appreciate that probably 99% of people just need to plug in and go.

Thanks for the link though!
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4OD On Demand on SKY+HD 29th January, "Coming Spring 2013."

A selection frame has appeared today Tuesday 29th January, on SKY+HD On Demand, " Coming Spring 2013 "

In addition to the usual BBC, ITV, Channel 5 and SKY etc

Don't know about Freesat as I don't have that.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you not just make an address reservation on your routers DHCP server? I ask because the setting for the DNS server is not saved currently.The HDR-1000S does not offer manual settings unless it fails to aquire a DHCP address. (which should be easy for you to arrange)