Surround Sound Gaming Headphones

General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
Forum Member
Anyone else got them? Whats your opinion of them?
I picked up some of these http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/proplus.asp a couple of days ago, and they seem alright, but I'm not overly impressed. Theres just way too many settings to alter - you can set the volume of each individual speaker, as well as altering the time delay for centre and rear. I'd rather they just had a handful of presets to pick.

Comments

• dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first venture in to surround sound headphones was Tritton Ax Pro's. If you get the settings right on these they are excellent.
    Next was wireless Turtle Beaches PX5, these have presets and you can choose which one best suits the game you are playing. Overall the sound was better on the Trittons.
    Recently treated myself to Astro A50's, these blow all competition away but come with a hefty price tag to match.
    These have 3 presets and i believe the A40's are similar.
    If you like your gaming go for Astro's but at £200-250 they aren't cheap
  • General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    ^ Cheers. Can you remember what settings you had the AX Pros on? Like I said, they're a bit fiddly. They'd be a nightmare if you had OCD or something.
  • RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I have the Sony MDR series of surround headphones. They don`t have many adjustable settings and at first I wasn`t too impressed with the surround sound. But the overall quality is fantastic and individual sounds crystal clear. After I got used to them there was no going back to the speakers.
  • Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Trittons were good but then they nearly went bankrupt and sold to MadKatz. I had a new pair a few months after the takeover and they were garbage. They'd turned in to typical cheap MadKatz shite, but the price didn't change.

I use Astros and they are amazing. The originals lacked a little low end but the new stuff is fantastic all round.

As Dazzy says they are pricey but definitely worth saving for whilst using your new ones.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the difference between surround sound headphones and surround sound speakers.

They are the same, right?
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Turtlebeach headset (x41's) and I use them for gaming late at night. The SS is excellent on them. I can hear footsteps behind me and gunfire in different directions (COD and Blops games) and I wouldn't be without them either but I use my cinema at other times. There's just something about gaming using SS and bass speaker.
    Best sound ive heard from a game comes from BF3.
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    I don't get the difference between surround sound headphones and surround sound speakers.

They are the same, right?

Theres two different ways of achieving surround with headphones:
    Theres the "true" surround, which is what the Trittons I bought have. They have 4 separate speaker drivers (sub, rear, front, centre) in each side, all at different angles and positions. Obviously they wont provide better audio separation than a proper surround speaker setup, as they are on your head, so the laws of physics dictate you arent gonna hear sound as accurately directly from behind you for example, because there isnt a speaker there.
    However, I've been playing Bioshock Infinite with them recently, and by closing my eyes and listening to Elizabeth's footsteps, I can usually guess pretty accurately where she will be when I open them.
    Then theres "virtual" surround headsets, like the ones people above have mentioned. They only have two speaker drivers, one on each ear, and they attempt to simulate surround by using complex circuitry and software to trick your brain into thinking the sounds are coming from different directions. A plus of them is that they dont have to cram in 4 drivers per ear, just one per ear, so you get better bass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres the "true" surround, which is what the Trittons I bought have. They have 4 separate speaker drivers (sub, rear, front, centre) in each side, all at different angles and positions. Obviously they wont provide better audio separation than a proper surround speaker setup, as they are on your head, so the laws of physics dictate you arent gonna hear sound as accurately directly from behind you for example, because there isnt a speaker there.
    However, I've been playing Bioshock Infinite with them recently, and by closing my eyes and listening to Elizabeth's footsteps, I can usually guess pretty accurately where she will be when I open them.
    Then theres "virtual" surround headsets, like the ones people above have mentioned. They only have two speaker drivers, one on each ear, and they attempt to simulate surround by using complex circuitry and software to trick your brain into thinking the sounds are coming from different directions. A plus of them is that they dont have to cram in 4 drivers per ear, just one per ear, so you get better bass.

agreed
  • BenRhileyBenRhiley Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Time to clear up some misunderstandings.

First off, many people ask for surround sound headphones. You can not have both. Surround sound in headphones is not real, it's not legit, and it isn't better than a normal pair of headphones. Surround sound will not 'improve your K/D', or make you a better player. That's irrelevant though. What IS relevant, is how surround sound in headphones is a complete gimmick. Complete and utter marketing strategy. It adds NOTHING to your experience. In fact, 'headphone surround sound' gives you much worse quality, and is less accurate than proper 2.0 headphones. The reason is is because the surround sound headphones have very cheap drivers (there's bloody seven of them). Yes, with a normal pair of decent 2.0 (stereo) headphones, you can hear behind you, hear diagonally from you, all that. And it's more accurate.

Also, 'headsets' (headphones with a microphone, or headphones marketed as 'gaming headsets) are also bad. You should NEVER BUY A HEADSET. You might be asking "Why?". The reason is that they combine adequate headphones with an adequate microphone, and cost significantly more than they would separately. Not only do you get MUCH, MUCH worse quality for the price, but because you are combining bad parts with bad wiring, they are more likely to break, and almost impossible to fix.

So what do you want? A PROPER good pair of HEADPHONES (see; NOT headset), and any cheap Logitech microphone. Seriously, a £5 microphone is literally what they attach to those headsets. If not, cheaper. So a stand alone Logitech mic will do you perfect. If you play on 360, get a small adapter off Amazon for literally 50p so you can use any mic in the controller.

In terms of headphones, do some research. If you're looking around the £50 range, the Sony MDR-V6s are beautiful headphones used in music studios because they have a neutral sound and make everything sound as it's supposed to sound. These £50 headphones will be 100x better than a £150 'gaming headset', I promise you my life.

If you have £100+, the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are a must buy. They make everything (especially music, but also games and films) sound incredible. These are also used in studios, on radios, during film shooting, etc. because they have perfect, neutral sound.

As a side note, the above two headphones ARE used in studios and music environments. The MDR-V6s are used on radios, I think even BBC Radio 1 uses them a lot, as well as the ATH-M50s. Beats, however, are not used in music environments, and is an outright lie. Beats headphones are equal to a pair of £30 cheap headphones from Amazon or something.
    Forum Member
    Theres the "true" surround, which is what the Trittons I bought have. They have 4 separate speaker drivers (sub, rear, front, centre) in each side, all at different angles and positions.
    But again, that isn't even surround sound, nevermind 'true' surround sound. They are just cheaply made speakers/drivers placed at different parts of each side of the headphone. It's a marketing strategy.
    Any semi-good pair of proper headphones above even £30 will do this. In fact, simple 2.0 headphones will do this better and more accurately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BenRhiley wrote: »

First off, many people ask for surround sound headphones. You can not have both. Surround sound in headphones is not real, it's not legit, and it isn't better than a normal pair of headphones. Surround sound will not 'improve your K/D', or make you a better player. That's irrelevant though. What IS relevant, is how surround sound in headphones is a complete gimmick. Complete and utter marketing strategy. It adds NOTHING to your experience. In fact, 'headphone surround sound' gives you much worse quality, and is less accurate than proper 2.0 headphones. The reason is is because the surround sound headphones have very cheap drivers (there's bloody seven of them). Yes, with a normal pair of decent 2.0 (stereo) headphones, you can hear behind you, hear diagonally from you, all that. And it's more accurate.

Also, 'headsets' (headphones with a microphone, or headphones marketed as 'gaming headsets) are also bad. You should NEVER BUY A HEADSET. You might be asking "Why?". The reason is that they combine adequate headphones with an adequate microphone, and cost significantly more than they would separately. Not only do you get MUCH, MUCH worse quality for the price, but because you are combining bad parts with bad wiring, they are more likely to break, and almost impossible to fix.

So what do you want? A PROPER good pair of HEADPHONES (see; NOT headset), and any cheap Logitech microphone. Seriously, a £5 microphone is literally what they attach to those headsets. If not, cheaper. So a stand alone Logitech mic will do you perfect. If you play on 360, get a small adapter off Amazon for literally 50p so you can use any mic in the controller.

In terms of headphones, do some research. If you're looking around the £50 range, the Sony MDR-V6s are beautiful headphones used in music studios because they have a neutral sound and make everything sound as it's supposed to sound. These £50 headphones will be 100x better than a £150 'gaming headset', I promise you my life.

If you have £100+, the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are a must buy. They make everything (especially music, but also games and films) sound incredible. These are also used in studios, on radios, during film shooting, etc. because they have perfect, neutral sound.

As a side note, the above two headphones ARE used in studios and music environments. The MDR-V6s are used on radios, I think even BBC Radio 1 uses them a lot, as well as the ATH-M50s. Beats, however, are not used in music environments, and is an outright lie. Beats headphones are equal to a pair of £30 cheap headphones from Amazon or something.

Never read so much rubbish in one post.
    Forum Member
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    Never read so much rubbish in one post.
    Explain.
    Forum Member

Have you even tried using surround sound headphones before, or are you just speaking from an audiophile perspective, where anything you don't like is automatically shite?
    I LIKE the WAY you use CAPS LOCK to highlight important POINTS though.
    Forum Member
    Have you even tried using surround sound headphones before, or are you just speaking from an audiophile perspective, where anything you don't like is automatically shite?
    I've used hundreds of different headphones due to being employed to a product testing and review firm. I've tried cans and buds from gaming, to surround, to studio, etc. The main thing is that I've also done tests and audio checks for frequency response, harmonic distortion, impedance, frequency, isolation response, square wave response, and more on all of these headphones. I'd like to say I have a knowledgeable opinion on sound equipment. Thanks for assuming, though.

The fact is, headsets, Turtle Beaches, Trittons, etc. are objectively cheaply made, lower quality, and over priced. There is actual data and charts to prove this if you care to research.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ben on this. If the sound is recorded correctly, you will get perfectly good surround sound through a pair of basic headphones. To show you what can be done, listen to this with your eyes closed through a pair of earbuds:
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIUDTlvagjJA&client=mv-vf-uk&safesearch=always
  • simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a very average player & got the turtle beach px5's & my k/d went up & people wanted me to join clans etc in COD before this one and people wanted me on there team :D

all by being able to hear enemy approaching & direction, then they dumbed down the footsteps in this cod & I'm back to johny average :eek::D:p
    Forum Member
    sima wrote: »
    I was a very average player & got the turtle beach px5's & my k/d went up & people wanted me to join clans etc in COD before this one and people wanted me on there team :D

all by being able to hear enemy approaching & direction, then they dumbed down the footsteps in this cod & I'm back to johny average :eek::D:p
    But any old 2.0 pair of headphones will achieve the same effect. My MDR-V6s and ATH-M50s both have fantastic sound of space and I can hear people around me in games and even films. And then in some songs, you can even hear where the instrument was in the actual recording studio. Again, these are both 2.0 stereo headphones.
    Forum Member
    soran wrote: »
    I agree with Ben on this. If the sound is recorded correctly, you will get perfectly good surround sound through a pair of basic headphones. To show you what can be done, listen to this with your eyes closed through a pair of earbuds:
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIUDTlvagjJA&client=mv-vf-uk&safesearch=always
    This is a perfect example, love this video.

Again proves that surround sound headphones really do nothing.
  • simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But any old 2.0 pair of headphones will achieve the same effect. My MDR-V6s and ATH-M50s both have fantastic sound of space and I can hear people around me in games and even films. And then in some songs, you can even hear where the instrument was in the actual recording studio. Again, these are both 2.0 stereo headphones.

I've not tried 2.0 headphones with xbox (so can't compare) & I'm not getting into a argument over headphones on the net :D but being able to pinpoint enemy helped allot.

I've got a ton of headphones for xbox/mp3 etc but there just a treat for all the exercise & walking (70 +mile a week)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Explain.

You are obviously basing your opinion as fact. I'm basing my opinion on your posts that you dont know what your on about when it comes to gaming headsets
    Forum Member
    You are obviously basing your opinion as fact. I'm basing my opinion on your posts that you dont know what your on about when it comes to gaming headsets
    Welp. Stick to your 'SURRUND SUND GAMURZ HEADSET' if you wish, while meanwhile I and others will be owning a superior, actual pair of headphones.

If you're looking for advice on headsets, I've heard gamer forums for twelve year olds will know more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welp. Stick to your 'SURRUND SUND GAMURZ HEADSET' if you wish, while meanwhile I and others will be owning a superior, actual pair of headphones.

If you're looking for advice on headsets, I've heard gamer forums for twelve year olds will know more.

Dont get your knickers in a twist. Twelve year olds, you have no idea.
    I think your last sentence sums up your bigotry view. The OP stated gaming headsets not sound quality of headsets.I know plenty about about gaming headsets and just because you know about sound quality headsets doesn't mean the same principles apply to gaming headsets.

Happy to stand corrected if you can find any review where they highlight that any of the headsets you mention is better than say an Astro or Tritton for GAMING.

Also happy to stand corrected if you find any pro FPS player that uses any of the headsets you mention, as the headset is one of the most important perpiheral to a pro player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because YOU don't agree doesn't mean other gamers can't go out and purchase the headset that best suits them. who the **** cares what earphones you like or dislike. It's our choice to spend whatever we wish on the SS headset we want/think is best for us. Mines suits me and does what I want it too. End of !
    Forum Member
    Dont get your knickers in a twist. Twelve year olds, you have no idea.
    I think your last sentence sums up your bigotry view. The OP stated gaming headsets not sound quality of headsets.I know plenty about about gaming headsets and just because you know about sound quality headsets doesn't mean the same principles apply to gaming headsets.
    But I do know enough about headsets. They are just headphones with mics attached, there's nothing to really 'know' about them, except they are cheaply made.
    Happy to stand corrected if you can find any review where they highlight that any of the headsets you mention is better than say an Astro or Tritton for GAMING.
    Headsets are awful in general though, I don't care which headsets are better than other headsets. Again, using any normal, proper pair of headphones with a separate mic is the exact same, except higher quality, cheaper, and better made. Oh look, and it's 2.0 while giving better, more accurate sense of space and direction.
    Also happy to stand corrected if you find any pro FPS player that uses any of the headsets you mention, as the headset is one of the most important perpiheral to a pro player.
    I think you're trolling at this part. You DO realise that nearly every single tournament and competition, such as the likes of MLG, are sponsored by companies like Razer just SO they use their products? Same with their horrible keyboard and mouses. They get paid to use this shoddy hardware. What, do you also think the shirts they wear with all the Razer, Tritton, MadCatz, Turtlebeach, etc. logos are just for looks or something?

So much ignorance and naivety, it hurts.
    Just because YOU don't agree doesn't mean other gamers can't go out and purchase the headset that best suits them. who the **** cares what earphones you like or dislike. It's our choice to spend whatever we wish on the SS headset we want/think is best for us. Mines suits me and does what I want it too. End of !
    First, you should stop saying 'SS headset'. There is no such thing. Glad to know you fall for marketing tricks though, you're the kind of person that leads companies to misinform people in the first place. They know people who believe everything they are told will fall for it and throw their money at them.

Second, simply letting people know that there are much better hardware for cheaper prices isn't me agreeing or disagreeing. Besides, it isn't even opinion.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I just have a pair of wireless Turtle Beach X41's surround sound and they are incredible. I wouldn't game without them now tbh. I live in a flat and my home theatre can't get he workout it deserves much of the time, these go some way to make up for it.