Options

Marina and the Diamonds Appreciation Thread

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
Don't think there's one of these yet so I decided to set one up.
Anyone else here liking Marina's new single Shampain? I'd love that tune to do well in the charts, it's not a bad song. Her album's good, Oh No! is one of my current theme tunes :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I like her music:). Really loving Hermit The Frog and Obsessions. Seventeen is also a great song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Obsessions is a cool tune :D Will have to listen to Seventeen sometime. I'd love to see her live sometime.
  • Options
    Bella TrixBella Trix Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan! Totally obsessed with 'Oh No!' recently :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bella Trix wrote: »
    I'm a fan! Totally obsessed with 'Oh No!' recently :D

So am I :D:D:D It's one of my theme tunes. I listened to it one night and was hooked ever since!
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Good to see her nominated at the EMAs. Hopefully it will give the new single a boost after a dissapointing showing for Oh No. My favourite tarcks are either Are You satisfied? or Girls.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to say it, but I can see Shampain missing the top 40 altogether. Marina already seems to be slipping off the radar and Radio 1's support for her is dwindling already. Oh No was easily her most commercial song but charted lower than her previous 2 singles, which demonstrates my point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good to see her nominated at the EMAs. Hopefully it will give the new single a boost after a dissapointing showing for Oh No. My favourite tarcks are either Are You satisfied? or Girls.

I voted for her. I think the nomination was for Best UK and Ireland Act or Best New Act?
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    I don't really think Marina has to worry about chart success, as she's not someone like Cheryl Cole or the Saturdays and actually has merit, she doesn't need to achive as much to be prevent being dropped.

Loved Marina since the start of the year but only recently got her album this week (been on a complete splurge of cds really. Within 3 weeks acquired

Kelis-Flesh Tone
    Foals-Total Life Forever
    Marina and the Diamonds - The Family Jewels
    Laura Marling - I Speak because I can
    Vampire Weekend - Contra
    Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
    Tilly and the Wall - Wild Like Children
    Maps - Turning the Mind

really need to cut down on buying so mcuh music :p)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm seeing her live next month (opening night of her Autumn tour) I'm sooooo excited, words cannot describe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James__B wrote: »
    I'm seeing her live next month (opening night of her Autumn tour) I'm sooooo excited, words cannot describe!

Where's it on? Enjoy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bump :D Listening to Are You Satisfied now, the song's now one of my theme tunes as well as Oh No! I'm hooked I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Love Marina, definitely one of the better indie brit-pop discoveries in the past few years.

Not sure what her future is though. I can imagine she'll continue making music under the radar if all else fails because she is a self-sufficient artist, but i'd love for her to have a proper, sustained mainstream breakthrough. She's about half there.

I remember she Tweeted about meeting with producers in L.A. just before her album dropped, but said the music was for the next one...so I wonder when that's coming out?

She also said that she liked how frequently Gaga released music and that she saw no need to stick to the traditional formula...so, maybe it'll be sooner rather than later?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marina and the Diamonds are amazing, especially I am not a robot and Obsessions.

That is all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really like her debut album! Mowgli's Road is an EPIC song! i also love Oh No! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's it on? Enjoy :D

Pyramids centre down here in Portsmouth, tickets were only £15, so I couldn't resist! I will tell you how it goes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James__B wrote: »
    Pyramids centre down here in Portsmouth, tickets were only £15, so I couldn't resist! I will tell you how it goes!

Not a bad price for the tickets! Sounds fun anyway :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw her live earlier this year and will be going again next month. She's amazing. Great stage presence and live singer. Had such a great time.

I'm a bit obsessed with her at the minute. Probably my favourite album of the year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pharoah wrote: »
    Saw her live earlier this year and will be going again next month. She's amazing. Great stage presence and live singer. Had such a great time.

I'm a bit obsessed with her at the minute. Probably my favourite album of the year

It is one of the year's best albums, I have to agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I truly hope Marina and the Diamonds do not "do a pipettes" i.e make a truly inspired indie-ish pop record and simply vanish without trace.

This would truly make me sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neel wrote: »
    I truly hope Marina and the Diamonds do not "do a pipettes" i.e make a truly inspired indie-ish pop record and simply vanish without trace.

This would truly make me sad.

That would be a shame. Hopefully a second album would be released.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    yeah defo one of my favourite new artists right now, the album is still on in the car and its amazing how may people have been in it with me and asked who it is... then bought the album because of it.

Shes very talented however, i think the best is not off 'Family Jewels' but yet to come... 2nd offering maybe? Fingers Crossed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely love her! Seen her live three times, best was in Norwich in May where she threw out some people in the crowd who were being disruptive and taking the piss :D Booked to see her live again aswell :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah defo one of my favourite new artists right now, the album is still on in the car and its amazing how may people have been in it with me and asked who it is... then bought the album because of it.

That's the way to do it :D One of the best ways of promotion I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Chubbler wrote: »
    Absolutely love her! Seen her live three times, best was in Norwich in May where she threw out some people in the crowd who were being disruptive and taking the piss :D Booked to see her live again aswell :D
    Was that at the UEA? She's coming back on Oct 20th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chubbler wrote: »

Hope you enjoy!!!