Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...

miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I'm supposed to read this for book club tomorrow, I have been struggling with it all month, I just don't 'get it'
I have just officially given up after part one, I cannot continue, I don't think I have absorbed any of what I have read either!

This is so unlike me, I have never ever not finished a book! I usually fly through books in a matter of hours and yet this has taken me weeks just to get through part one.

I only stuck with it for so long as reviews rave about it, I seem to be the only one who does not like it!
Was the author himself on drugs as he wrote this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miss-kitty wrote: »
    Hi, I'm supposed to read this for book club tomorrow, I have been struggling with it all month, I just don't 'get it'
    I have just officially given up after part one, I cannot continue, I don't think I have absorbed any of what I have read either!

This is so unlike me, I have never ever not finished a book! I usually fly through books in a matter of hours and yet this has taken me weeks just to get through part one.

I only stuck with it for so long as reviews rave about it, I seem to be the only one who does not like it!

is the Pope a Catholic?

i was tremendously impressed with this, but if i read it now i'd probably find it annoying

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

(that's him saying that, not me, by the way)
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I love it, one of my favourite books, I got through it rather fast.

I recommend the film too, fantastic. You can cheat and watch the film instead. ;)
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really need to be off your face/t*ts to read it/watch movie to be honest. Seen & read better, very overrated.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, yes he was.
    You really need to be off your face/t*ts to read it/watch movie to be honest. Seen & read better, very overrated.

Our POV has changed, that's all - it's not the late 1960s any more :p

It's actually no wonder that few people manage to "get into" Hunter Thompson as a journalist/writer. He had a very weird way of doing journalism...

He'd be given an assignment - cover the 197X Presidential campaign, or in this case the Mint 400 desert motorcycle race...what we'd call an enduro nowadays...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_400 ...then get as thoroughly off his face on thre assignment and write about HIS experiences; sometimes, some small part of the actual subject matter managed to break through the mayhem and chaos and make it onto the page!

But...then again...he WAS writing for Rolling Stone, not any of the broadsheets! :p

Here, though - there's a subplot - the "attorney", Hector...is actually the protagonist from another Hunter Thompson "assignment"...a Hispanic Rights agitator who Thompson decided to get out of town for a while before someone killed him! :p So he decided to take him to Vegas and get him as wasted as humanly possible :D
  • miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just so all over the place! Perhaps if I'd read this when it was first out it would be different. I just can't get into it now :/
    I find it very confusing..

So, it's based on Hunter S.Thompsons, own experiences? I didn't even take that much of it in :o
    I have never struggled with a book so much!
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL Hunter Thompson's writing is based on his own experiences ;)

Of course it's all over the place - not only was he very, very stoned when it happened...that's what he did - went to an event, got loaded, wrote about what happened even if it was inside his own head...it's what he can remember about what happened :p

This was a guy who IIRC managed to get himself SO loaded he got thrown off Air Force One during a Presidential election campaign :D
  • miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL Hunter Thompson's writing is based on his own experiences ;)

Of course it's all over the place - not only was he very, very stoned when it happened...that's what he did - went to an event, got loaded, wrote about what happened even if it was inside his own head...it's what he can remember about what happened :p

This was a guy who IIRC managed to get himself SO loaded he got thrown off Air Force One during a Presidential election campaign :D

I guess I won't be reading any of his other work then.
    Very split panel at book club for once 3/5 hated it.
    2 of us did not even finish it, which is a first for us.

Ah well, It's all about new things, reading (or at least trying to read) books we've either had no interest in, or not gotten around to reading before.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    What's next? Confessions Of An English Opium Eater?
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Love this book, totally debauche. I've linked my favorite bit below advising how to deal with a cop who's pulled you over for speeding, especially this bit:
    It helps to have a police/press badge in your wallet when he calms down enough to ask for your license. I had one of these -- but I also had a can of Budweiser in my hand. Until that moment, I was unaware that I was holding it. I had felt totally on top of the situation ... but when I looked down and saw that little red/silver evidence-bomb in my hand, I knew I was f.....

http://www.naderlibrary.com/huntert.fearloath12.htm
  • nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, very overrated and really doesn't live up the hype. At least not for me it didn't.
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miss-kitty wrote: »

I loved this book