Debt Collectors

JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok I would appreciate any advice/thoughts you may have on this.

I haven't been living at my normal home address for the past few months and went home today to find a letter and 2 answer phone messages from Roxburghe Debt Collectors in respect of a debt of £41.93 with the post office. They want £59.93 which includes £18.00 for their admin fee.

It was a normal quarterly bill which I was late paying, bill requested money by 19 December, I paid on 1 February.

The letter was dated 8 February a week after I paid but they are demanding immediate payment to them.

I have already paid so don't intend to do so again but should I contact them or The Post Office? I have a receipt so I can prove payment.

What powers do they have?

My gut feeling is to call the Post Office on Monday, don't really like the idea of calling these people but is there a better way?

Comments

• JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Ok I would appreciate any advice/thoughts you may have on this.

I haven't been living at my normal home address for the past few months and went home today to find a letter and 2 answer phone messages from Roxburghe Debt Collectors in respect of a debt of £41.93 with the post office. They want £59.93 which includes £18.00 for their admin fee.

It was a normal quarterly bill which I was late paying, bill requested money by 19 December, I paid on 1 February.

The letter was dated 8 February a week after I paid but they are demanding immediate payment to them.

I have already paid so don't intend to do so again but should I contact them or The Post Office? I have a receipt so I can prove payment.

What powers do they have?

My gut feeling is to call the Post Office on Monday, don't really like the idea of calling these people but is there a better way?
    Do not pay them, ask them for their evidence that you have not paid them.

Never talk to them on the phone, insist that all communication is in writing.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Do not pay them, ask them for their evidence that you have not paid them.

Never talk to them on the phone, insist that all communication is in writing.

Ok thanks.

I wasn't too keen on calling them I must admit. I'll speak to the Post Office as I want to cancel my home phone anyway. If I have to contact Roxburghe I'll write and advise the debt had already been paid.

Thanks

Do these guys have any legal powers?
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks.

I wasn't too keen on calling them I must admit. I'll speak to the Post Office as I want to cancel my home phone anyway. If I have to contact Roxburghe I'll write and advise the debt had already been paid.

Thanks

Debatable.

Theyt have no power to to pursue the debt as they want to, they have no powers of entry, they get the debt recovery from buying up debts from creditors, like the post office, at about 10% of the value, and then try to get as much as possible back from you.The post office don't give a shit because they have already sold the debt.

Have a look at moneysavingexpert, website , or legal beagles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Debatable.

Theyt have no power to to pursue the debt as they want to, they have no powers of entry, they get the debt recovery from buying up debts from creditors, like the post office, at about 10% of the value, and then try to get as much as possible back from you.The post office don't give a shit because they have already sold the debt.

Have a look at moneysavingexpert, website , or legal beagles.

Will do.
    Many thanks.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your Post Office debt has been passed to Roxburghe due to non payment.
    The late payment you made in Feb will be returned to you.
    You will have to pay the full amount plus costs to the Debt Collectors.
    Don't pay bills 2 months late.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    They can't do anything as long as you have prove you have paid. They will try and threaten you with court action but won't do due to it being under 100 pound. Don't call them otherwise they will keep calling. The debt might get bounced around others.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them to go screw themselves, they are vermin.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I user to work for a debt collecting company. They're full of empty threats. Badly worded letters to make it seem worse than it is. It's all scare tactics.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just slightly hijacking this thread - I got a 'fine' in the post from Debt Recovery Plus after my car was parked in a Starbucks/KFC car park over the limit by a few minutes in Nov last year.

I have avoided all letters and not responded to them after reading numerous forums however I was made aware of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 which it says allows the parking companies to chase up the registered keep of vehicle (ie. me) for payment instead of the driver.

Shall I continue to ignore these people?
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Just slightly hijacking this thread - I got a 'fine' in the post from Debt Recovery Plus after my car was parked in a Starbucks/KFC car park over the limit by a few minutes in Nov last year.

I have avoided all letters and not responded to them after reading numerous forums however I was made aware of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 which it says allows the parking companies to chase up the registered keep of vehicle (ie. me) for payment instead of the driver.

Shall I continue to ignore these people?

I got a parking invoice from a company called Euro Car (or something like it). Like you, I was a bit worried due to the new act but having been on the moneysavingexpert & pepipoo websites, I've decided to ignore them.

Have a look at these two websites, they're both very good when it comes to these parking invoices.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

NO.

All a DCA can do, is ask you to pay.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    Tell them to go screw themselves, they are vermin.
    The debt collectors or the people who don't full fill their contractual obligations and pay bills late?

Does it make any difference if I point out that part of the cost of all our bills goes to cover late payers?

I don't much like debt collectors (especially when they tack on large amounts like £18 on a £50 bill) but I dislike having to help compensate companies for other people through my own bills.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you write to them, make sure that you print your name, don't sign the letter. Who knows where your signature could suddenly appear?
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a parking invoice from a company called Euro Car (or something like it). Like you, I was a bit worried due to the new act but having been on the moneysavingexpert & pepipoo websites, I've decided to ignore them.

Have a look at these two websites, they're both very good when it comes to these parking invoices.

Cheers for that - I think I just needed a bit of reassurance and will give those links a go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    The debt collectors or the people who don't full fill their contractual obligations and pay bills late?

Does it make any difference if I point out that part of the cost of all our bills goes to cover late payers?

I don't much like debt collectors (especially when they tack on large amounts like £18 on a £50 bill) but I dislike having to help compensate companies for other people through my own bills.

If it makes you feel any better, the post office have held onto my money for almost 5 weeks now, which presumably as they have sold on the debt they should have returned, so in about 10 days it will make up for the amount of time I was late on this one occasion.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be never talk to a debt collecting agency. Legal or not - they are the scum of the earth.

I really think it should be illegal to sell debts - the practice has no place in a civilized country.

Be aware though, your credit rating may be affected. That will take ages to sort out - will cost you money - and no one will give a fig.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it makes you feel any better, the post office have held onto my money for almost 5 weeks now, which presumably as they have sold on the debt they should have returned, so in about 10 days it will make up for the amount of time I was late on this one occasion.
    To be fair I hate the PO anyway. The only reason they aren't on my hit list is that these days most things can be done online :)
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware though, your credit rating may be affected.

DCAs can't affect your credit rating.

Only a court can do that, and only after a hearing, which you lose), resulting in a CCJ.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A DCA rang me a few weeks ago while I was in the middle of something so I decided to put him on speaker. I was fully concentrating on what I was doing at the time and just giving the 'advisor' one word answers, usually "Yes" or "No" with the odd "I can't remember" here and there. It transpired that my complete lack of attention to the call was apparently interpreted as me agreeing to go to a debt management company for advice on how to proceed with my financial situation ..

I had to smile when I thought back to the call because the poor bugger was working his way diligently through his script and I was paying absolutely zero attention :)
  • ABCWarriorABCWarrior Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just found this out - never pay a bailiff with a debit card with your long number and security number (over the phone). Even if it's a one off payment, they can tell the bank you owe them more money and the bank will let them have it. Unbelievable! I just had to close my account because of this, and open a new one with a different bank.

You can appeal, but it may take a year to get your money back. Same with some other dodgy companies. Pay by bank transfer or a credit card, which has more protection.
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DCA or debt collectors or what ever they want to cause themselves have NO LEGAL POWERS at all. Ive had one after me, on behalf of some company ive never heard of, they wrote they telephoned almost every hour until i snapped and told them its harassment (only to be told promptly its legal to harass over the phone! until i pointed out its illegal due to the telecommunications act) and they will be reported. Then came the letters (keep them its amusing trust me!) same dates for different amounts, etc etc, then the red letters started coming with door step collection ''officers'' are operating in your area and will be with you soon threats.
    I actually had one turn up. BANG the door, and when i answered he immediatly launched into his tirade of you pay now or we are going to take your stuff etc... He backed down when i said ''try and get past me, and a piece of 2x4 is going over your head You have no legal right to be on my property and im well within MY rights to remove you from it.'' He casually walked away and looked at my car on the drive and smiled, said '' im having that'' my reply '' was go ahead, your on CCTV i will have you done for tresspass and theft, not to mention intimidation and by the way my cctv also records sound so anything said against me will be used against you''

That was four months ago. Nothing no letters no calls nothing. Although im now being chased by a different DCA but same address for different amount same creditor ref... they realised they couldnt bully or intimidate me, so they have simply ''sold the debt on'' to another company.
    Best thing is i dont owe anyone anything, so i dont know what its about anyway!

here is a simple set of rules i use:
    1) Bin the letters or keep for amusement as the next letter always contradicts the previous
    2) if they leave a card of letter for you to call them DONT! they will have your number and harass you through that.
    3) if they do call you refuse to acknowledge anything except through letters (then go to rule 1)
    4) DONT LET THEM IN. Contrary to popular belief they CANNOT force entry, even though they may state this, they dont have the powers, only the police or a court appointed baliff have these powers, but even then police have to be present for the baliffs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    DCAs can't affect your credit rating.

Only a court can do that, and only after a hearing, which you lose), resulting in a CCJ.

Well mine got screwed by a credit card company on the advice of a DCA - took me 6 months to sort it out. I couldn't even get an overdraft facility at my own bank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    DCA or debt collectors or what ever they want to cause themselves have NO LEGAL POWERS at all. /snip/

here is a simple set of rules i use:
    1) Bin the letters or keep for amusement as the next letter always contradicts the previous
    2) if they leave a card of letter for you to call them DONT! they will have your number and harass you through that.
    3) if they do call you refuse to acknowledge anything except through letters (then go to rule 1)
    4) DONT LET THEM IN. Contrary to popular belief they CANNOT force entry, even though they may state this, they dont have the powers, only the police or a court appointed baliff have these powers, but even then police have to be present for the baliffs.

Unfortunately many people are just going to buckle under the stress these people cause. It's just a legalized mafia racket - plain and simple.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    DCA or debt collectors or what ever they want to cause themselves have NO LEGAL POWERS at all.

Not strictly true. If you owe money on your gas/electric bill they can force access to your supply after presenting the case to a judge and they don't even need police to attend.