Archos 70 Titanium, Nexus 7 or Hyundai T7, which one?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I'm going to buy a cheapish tablet but want something fast.

Archos 70 Titanium - £110(expansys) aluminium body, light, 1.6ghz dual core, Mali 400mp

Nexus 7, £160, quad core 1.2ghz, great gpu...

Hyundai T7 (can get them from China easily) quad core exynos 1.4ghz, IPS, great resolution, £100

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I've just bought a Nexus 7 and for the money you can't go wrong with it as it's very fast and has an excellent screen. Well worth the money.

Unless you can try out the Archos or Hyundai I'd not go with either as in my experience cheap tablets are cheap for a reason.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I would go for the Nexus 7. I don't have one but I've heard good things about it. The other two sound a bit dodgy to me.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hyundai T7 apparently has good performance but it's running Android 4.0 and even a reviewer managed to brick the device while performing an update. I can't imagine support being good either.

The Archos Titanium uses a Rockchip processor which isn't as fast as the Tegra 3 found in the Nexus 7 or the Exynos found in the Hyundai T7. Archos aren't renowned for their support either.

I'd probably be inclined to go for the Nexus 7 primarily because it's build quality, support and performance are all excellent (especially for the price). Another advantage is that it's a Nexus device (meaning fast updates)...

Hope this helps.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yup Nexus 7 for fast updates, greater compatibility with apps (even the abysmal Sky Go runs on N7, it won't on the other two)
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    thanks guys, I went for the Titanium in the end as it was £100 compared to £165 of the Nexus, didn't think the Nexus was £65 better. Titanium is 60g lighter, thinner, and hopefully it performs quite well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks guys, I went for the Titanium in the end as it was £100 compared to £165 of the Nexus, didn't think the Nexus was £65 better. Titanium is 60g lighter, thinner, and hopefully it performs quite well

It most certainly is £65 better. It has better support, build quality, performance and more...

You will be lucky if you see a stable update (or an update at all) from Archos.
    Forum Member
    Mr Cool, 1.2ghz quad core vs 1.6ghz dual core(archos)? surely archos is faster?

build quality - I disagree, the archos is thinner, 60g lighter and has a titanium body.

support - nexus always wins
    Forum Member

build quality - I disagree, the archos is thinner, 60g lighter and has a titanium body.

Depends on the processor - so not always and depends on the RAM as well as Android likes a lot of that 1GB min to get the most out of it.

The Archos is definitely not made of Titanium.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archos come up with great ideas but their support is sometimes lacking. It's like they design something, release it and then right away rush off to design something new and ignore existing products.
    Forum Member
    sorry aluminium lol

"With its sleek aluminium casing, ARCHOS 70 Titanium is stylish, thin and light. At just 8.6 mm (0.34") thick and weighing only 280 g (0.61 pounds) it’s the perfect tablet for your Android™ experience."
    Forum Member
    Another thing the cheaper tablets tend to have poor screen - both in not looking as good and not as responsive and I think the screen is the most important thing with a tablet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, clock speed isn't everything. The Tegra 3 found in the Nexus 7 is far faster than the Rockchip processor found in the Archos Titanium. Tegra 3 is also a quad-core processor. Battery life is also probably longer on the Nexus 7 as well.

Archos' track record regarding build quality isn't good. The 'Titanium' body is probably aluminium or shiny plastic. Build quality doesn't mean thinner, it means if the plastic creaks etc.

Also, Archos quite frequently release buggy firmware updates and release devices poorly optimised for their hardware which also won't help performance-wise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Another thing the cheaper tablets tend to have poor screen - both in not looking as good and not as responsive and I think the screen is the most important thing with a tablet.

I agree.

I think the Titanium lacks an IPS panel (meaning poorer viewing angles). Something which the Nexus 7 has.
    Forum Member
    Titanium is an IPS panel!, £95 from dabs, bargain!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not compared to the Nexus 7 it's not. Even with an IPS panel.
    Forum Member

Let us know how you find it when you get it.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    They won't help if it's just a poor tablet though

In the event that any tablet of any brand is not of fit and merchantable quality and needs replacing or a full refund then such consumer advice could indeed turn out to be useful. The threat of involving the local trading standards department and BBC Watchdog can also work wonders when the need arises.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bought an Archos 80 Titanium and loved it to little bits but the WiFi was shocking, it would drop from 35Mbit to a crawl and then zoom back up and then back to a crawl for no reason whatsoever even if i stood next to the access point so you ended up with buffering all the time.

I ended up getting a Nexus 7 but had the Archos been ok i would rather had that, better build, screen only slightly worse, felt as fast, if not faster than the Nexus 7 in use. In fact the only benefit of the Nexus 7 is the better battery life and i am not sure the extra 70 quid i paid was worth that. Of course the faster updates that people are going to bang on about but i cant say i noticed a massive difference between 4.1 and 4.2
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    The difference between 4.1 and 4.2 are mainly functional in terms of the UI so you won't "feel" any difference (unlike ICS to JB). Out of the three I'd definitely have chosen the Nexus 7. It's basically subsidised by Google as it has a lot of the qualities you'd find in a premium device but at an affordable price. Sure you can skimp out and get an Archos but in the long run you'll regret it.
    Forum Member
    i think you underestimate the archos, I will post a review once I receive it
    Forum Member
    In the event that any tablet of any brand is not of fit and merchantable quality and needs replacing or a full refund then such consumer advice could indeed turn out to be useful. The threat of involving the local trading standards department and BBC Watchdog can also work wonders when the need arises.

There is a difference between a poor tablet and one that does not work as intended though. Most of the cheaper tablets are fine to use but you can just get something much better for only a few quid more.
    Forum Member
    i think you underestimate the archos, I will post a review once I receive it

I think you overestimate it :D
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 7. You will always have the latest updates and the best software compatibility. Good screen and runs most stuff very smoothly.

I think there is a big difference between 4.1 and 4.2 especially for tablets