Best way to sell a mobile?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have an iphone I am trying to sell and I won't use ebay after being conned over before.

Is Gum Tree best or Facebook ad pages? I am a bit reluctant to use recycling sites as you send the phone away and you don't know if they will give you a full valuation. Plus I'd have no phone until I get the cash for this for a new one.

Alternately I'm thinking of just taking a lower offer and trading in at Carphone warehouse?

Comments

• John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Game.co.uk, here: http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=208306&articleId=208307&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

They give you the cash instore. Think the only difference is, you need to have the charger for the phone.

I sold my Galaxy Note2 to them a while back and got similar prices to what the recycling companies use.

Ive used Asda, SimplyDrop, o2recycle before with no issues, but as you say, you could be without a phone.

Im in a similar position, Im changing contracts and so will get an S4 (or choice of handset, whichever is most valuable) and will need to sell that to re-coup an early upgrade fee.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Game.co.uk, here: http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=208306&articleId=208307&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

They give you the cash instore. Think the only difference is, you need to have the charger for the phone.

I sold my Galaxy Note2 to them a while back and got similar prices to what the recycling companies use.

Ive used Asda, SimplyDrop, o2recycle before with no issues, but as you say, you could be without a phone.

Im in a similar position, Im changing contracts and so will get an S4 (or choice of handset, whichever is most valuable) and will need to sell that to re-coup an early upgrade fee.

Thanks I forgot about them selling phones now.

They don't offer much on lower grades wonder if I'd still get an A grade for a small chip on mine?

CeX offer decent prices but some people say in Google they only offer instore trade ins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My note had a small chip on the edge of the screen by the bezel. They either didnt notice or didnt care? Got the 'A' grade value.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    My beloved and I popped into Phones 4 U yesterday as she was due an upgrade (she chose an iPhone 5) but whilst the paper work was being sorted, a member of staff approached me and asked if I was due for an upgrade. I said no as I had a year left but they got a quote from EE for me to pay a early upgrade fee of £168 of which £120 would be refunded immediately after if I agreed to part ex my rather battered Note 1. End result was that I walked out of the shop with a spanking new, blazingly fast, mindblowingly fantastic HTC One 32Gb. which quite frankly wipes the floor with my recently boken Nexus 4 which is beyond economic repair. Cost me £48 quid overall.

What I am getting at is that part exing an older phone can be seen as a viable alternative to Mazuma etc etc if one absolutely cannot wait til the contract is up in order to get the newest and best phone on the market without breaking the bank.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used an O2 shop. They send it away for you as per www.o2recycle.co.uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I will try either CeX for Game tomorrow which is best?

Both offer similar value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Settled on £250 from CeX. Nobody in Gum Tree would buy the phone.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Be wary of selling phones. A friend of mine sold her phone and then discovered someone had emptied her bank account due to her not getting rid of the cloud.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be wary of selling phones. A friend of mine sold her phone and then discovered someone had emptied her bank account due to her not getting rid of the cloud.

I never used any banking apps on it plus I did a factory reset of the iPhone. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good advice for the new and technophobes out there.

Always do a security wipe/factory reset on your phones before selling/trading in, no matter where they go to.

Remember to take out the microSD card as well, some phones may wipe that at the same time as the handset itself.