EE4G announce new 4x data promotion + shared 4G data plans

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
On 17th July EE will be launching a summer promotion offering double speed 4G and greater data allowances for consumers.

Customers who sign up to a 24 month 4GEE phone plan before 30th September 2013 will receive both double speed 4G and data allowances which are double, triple or even quadruple the size of the standard plans
EE Shared 4GEE Plans allow customers to connect up to five devices to the one 4GEE plan – whether it’s with friends and family, or for their own tablets and laptops. Customers can add an existing 3G2 or 4G phone to their 4GEE phone plan from just £12 per month on SIM Only (from £22 per month for a new 4G phone), allowing them to receive unlimited minutes and texts on both phones, as well as access to the shared data.

Alternatively customers can add an existing 4G tablet from £5 per month on SIM Only (£26 per month for a new 4G tablet) or an existing 3G2 or Wi-Fi enabled tablet (via a mobile Wi-Fi device) for £11 per month. An example saving for a typical family of four would be £38 a month – over £450 a year3.

Sounds interesting. The promotion for new customers would give 4 times the amount of data on the £51pm plan. From 5GB to 20GB.

Here is a list of price plan changes applicable between Jul 17th and Sep 30th
(in brackets is the amount of data you get compared to before)
£26pm- 500mb
£31pm- 1GB (x2)
£36pm- 1.5GB(x2)
£41pm- 2GB (x2)
£46pm- 10GB (x3)
£51pm- 20GB (x4)

Shared 4G Plans work like this-
Take out a contract above^
Then add a sim only line for £12pm (12m) or £17pm (1m) and get the shared unlimited texts/calls and data allowance.

Alternatively you can get a 4G phone for £22pm (24m) and access to the shared allowances.

There is also option to add a data only device to the shared plan where you get access to the shared data.

https://explore.ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/ee-launches-next-generation-services-on-world-s-fastest-network

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Oh, forgot to mention EE are introducing double speed 4G which takes the max theoretical speed on 4G from 100mbps to 150mbps (not sure how that's double).

This means on average customers should be getting 24-30mbps.

Also PAYG broadband from £15pm (2GB) is now an option.
  • gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the look of the speeds.... but £41 pm for 2gb is still a rip off (imho)... and not enough to tempt me from DC-HSPA which has been giving me a reasonably consistent 20mbps at work of late.
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame existing customers don't get a look in though as 3gb to 10gb is a very nice increase.
  • unouno Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is good to see that EE are launching double speed in those places and hopefully they can give further updtaes on which places will be next on the list and also the next places that will be getting 4GEE.

For the double speed upgrade is it just a base station software upgrade or does actual equipment need changing or new backhaul pipes ?
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    It is good to see that EE are launching double speed in those places and hopefully they can give further updtaes on which places will be next on the list and also the next places that will be getting 4GEE.

For the double speed upgrade is it just a base station software upgrade or does actual equipment need changing or new backhaul pipes ?

At the moment it's just a few places-
    Double speed will launch on 4th July in Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Derby, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Nottingham and Sheffield, doubling the current average speeds to 24-30Mbps.

As far as i;m aware no equipment changes.
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they'd let existing customers upgrade to double data if they agreed to a new 24 month contract?...

I'm not sure how it would for me as im on the 8GB tariff which i think was £56, would I just go to the £51 20GB deal?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    51 pound a month . Jesus .

Roll on Three doing 4g One Plan .
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    51 pound a month . Jesus .

Roll on Three doing 4g One Plan .

When you weigh it up Three really are providing the better value for money there.

EE have really underestimated the 4G uptake. People don't care and don't need 4G. Especially at the current prices. And the majority of customers joining EE4G were original t-mobile and orange customers.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to keep watching my usage on EE , im on the £46 3 Gig plan, did originally start off the T-Mobile full monty wish i had stayed on it now as i had unlimited data, but they phoned me to switch over and i accepted. They should have just altered everyones tariff to have the increased/new allowances not just new customers.
  • srw985srw985 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Not impressed at all when I've been paying them £46 a month since the beginning and still only have 3GB.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can certainly see how this would annoy old customers as people will be getting more data for the same price. I can certainly see it attracting new members to them though.
  • exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    I moved to EE 4G from T-Mob and have just moved back after a pretty shambolic 6 week experience - even double or quadruple data wouldn't tempt me back.

The final straw was that EE's own signal box isn't set up to reliably route inbound voice calls to handsets with SIm card provisioned for 4G - so basically most calls either don't get terminated at all (just silence) or go straight to voicemail (which then doesn't give any alert of a message waiting).

It took over a month for EE to fess up and admit the routing on the signal box backend doesn't work at present so I had no option but to go back to T-mob where the signal box works 100% of the time - in that time I lost track of the number of calls I had to make to EE to follow up on their broken commitments to look into it / call me back - even the reverse migration took 2 weeks.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I can certainly see how this would annoy old customers as people will be getting more data for the same price. I can certainly see it attracting new members to them though.

This is always the danger when you take on a contract though isn't it especially with a new immature technology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    This is always the danger when you take on a contract though isn't it especially with a new immature technology.

Oh agreed it is there is always risks in these things.
    Forum Member
    srw985 wrote: »
    Not impressed at all when I've been paying them £46 a month since the beginning and still only have 3GB.

EE have released an official statement about why they're not allowing existing customers to get the same deal:

http://abload.de/img/angry-joe-give-me-mon66zid.gif
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is 3G like on 3, im currently on 02 paying £20 a month and the speeds are terrible. i use pay as you go, should i move to 3.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    What is 3G like on 3, im currently on 02 paying £20 a month and the speeds are terrible. i use pay as you go, should i move to 3.

Get a pay as you go SIM card and try it. 3 are known to have superior 3G coverage compared to O2 but really the best way to do it is to go and try it in the places you live/work/etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still seems to over priced for me to switch from my 3G provider to EEs 4G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »

If you have a DC-HSDPA handset i would recommend it highly i see speed 12-18mb on a regular basis.
  • nickgoldnickgold Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srw985 wrote: »

From the press release it states

Existing customers can take advantage of the bigger data allowances offered during the promotion by upgrading their plan to the next price point.

However I guarantee I won't be able to as I am already paying £56 for 8GB and I am on an 18month contract rather than 24.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what happens with the £56 for 8Gb plan and the £76 for 20Gb plan?
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Questions.

1. Is the promotion for the length of the contract only or does it continue at the promotional rate as long as you do not change it after 24 months?

2. For existing customers is it a new 24 month contract or do you just pay extra for the remainder of whats left?
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have an iphone 3gs dont know if that will be sufficient.
  • nickgoldnickgold Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also looks as if EE will introduce speed tierings to complicated its LTE offering further.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/03/4g-ee-prices-faster-connections
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickgold wrote: »
    It also looks as if EE will introduce speed tierings to complicated its LTE offering further.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/03/4g-ee-prices-faster-connections

Hmm interesting to know thanks for that hadn't seen that before. I wonder if existing customers will get the highest tier or not.