Options

Modern horror films

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
Forum Member
Unless it's a period film every horror film now contains one of the following variations of a scene:
1. Rural location: man/woman/child pulls out mobile phone, and complains about there being no mobile signal.
2. Urban location: man/woman/child pulls out mobile phone, and the battery dies.
I want to punch the screen every time I see this. Can directors/screenwriters not use their imaginations to avoid this purely functional scene?

Comments

• Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're now always very predictable and rum on the same formula. The best one I have seen this year is The Visit
  • Options
    PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I hate about horror movies is that the victims always run even when there is an ample opportunity to grab a weapon to defend themselves.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    One thing I hate about horror movies is that the victims always run even when there is an ample opportunity to grab a weapon to defend themselves.
    or the opposite, when a victim has the chance to run they hide instead.

There was a scene in Luther where she knew the killer was in the loft and she was in the bedroom. She runs out of the bedroom onto the landing but does she run down stairs out of the house? Nope, she hides in the closet instead.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can beat watching an 70's/80's horror film on VHS. The grainy, low res pictures give them a more eery feel. I love watching old pre cert horror films, trashy low budget ones, and more serious well thought out films in their original VHS form. Anything pre mid 80's anyway.

Today's horror films are very well written, but the HD and superb production values take away the 'scare factor' for me.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »

Today's horror films are very well written, but the HD and superb production values take away the 'scare factor' for me.

Yes I've said this myself many times, the threadbare electronic scores or complete lack of score also added to the atmosphere back then. When you have an 80 piece orchestra telling you when to jump it completely removes that queasy uneasy feeling older horror movies had. I do think some of the early 'found footage' horrors are good examples of modern horror before 'found footage' became a whole genre of its own for those reasons.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    indiekid76 wrote: »
    Unless it's a period film every horror film now contains one of the following variations of a scene:
    1. Rural location: man/woman/child pulls out mobile phone, and complains about there being no mobile signal.
    2. Urban location: man/woman/child pulls out mobile phone, and the battery dies.
    I want to punch the screen every time I see this. Can directors/screenwriters not use their imaginations to avoid this purely functional scene?

Take out mobile phone and have a regular land line and this trope can go back as far as the 70's maybe earlier, this is nothing new at all.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiekid76 wrote: »
    Yeah, and is it just me that's noticed how there always seems to be a reason why the attractive teen girl has to strip to her undies? And why do people always run upstairs when they know there's a killer in the house?

To be fair to film-makers, the phone cliches you mention are cliches precisely because they're true. You can argue they're over-used, but they happen in real-life, not just movies. There's still large parts of the UK that doesn't have reliable - or any - signal coverage, let alone the backwoods of America or somewhere, and if anything, the battery thing is even more likely now than it was, say, five years ago.

In an age where even the man's dog's dog has a phone, how would you get around this? If you make a point of someone leaving their phone at home, or saying how much they hate them, then immediately you know it's going to bite them in the ass at some point. I suppose writers could invent some 'new' cliches, such as dropping it in the truck stop toilet, or changing the language to Mandarin and forgetting how to change it back to English, but ultimately it serves the same purpose. The protagonist has a phone that he can't use.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More importantly, why are 97% of modern horror movies complete garbage that no one ever rates, remembers or talks about?